Menu

Which makes kids friendly drinks - kombucha or water Keifer?

bethben

I am looking for ways to add more fermented foods and pro-biotic drinks into our household.  Which is easier to make and which is easier to flavor?  If my son had anything resembling flavored "fizzy water", he would be thrilled.  I bought some root beer flavored Kombucha at the store and loved it.  So, which is easier and which is easier to flavor?  Thanks!

Kombucha is mildly alcoholic (many stores here card for 21+). Not sure that's kid friendly. Making it is somewhat of an ordeal; I have a friend who does and it turns out fine, but the process grosses me out. 

DS loves regular keifer; it's a good alternative to yogurt. One wouldn't make it fizzy though. It's essentially like liquid yogurt, but with a stronger taste. (You can buy it flavoured or plain). The smell makes me gag.

I've never heard of water keifer.

Eta: I just looked up water kefir. Quite different from the type we've had! Lol. 

Edited by MEmama

Kombucha to my knowledge is also mildly or significantly caffeinated if made from black tea, and with recipes I have seen has a huge amount of sugar.  

I’ve not heard of water Keifer.  

Dairy Kefir with live cultures and not sugary would probably be good if child can handle dairy.