Menu

Curious-where do you donate your stuff?

bodiesmom

Oh, and I don't donate to any group that is super picky about what they take. Used clothing is very desirable around here, but I won't give it to groups that only take used clothing. Even if used clothing is all I have at the moment, it seems more fair to donate it to the same people who are also willing to take my household goods, books, and so on. So yeah, Amvets. Added plus: they are in my neighborhood twice a week, so you can often schedule a pickup just a day or two before. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, katilac said:

Amvets, because they come to my house and pick it up! If we were in a particular hurry for some reason, we've even been known to drop the occasional bag at the thrift store that isn't even a non-profit. 

My late mom always donated to amvets and my brother keeps an amvets box going and says "yes" every time they call.

Me?  I can't say yes because then I stress over getting it together and remembering to put it out on time.  It would be so convenient but I struggle every time I say yes.  Ugh!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, happi duck said:

My late mom always donated to amvets and my brother keeps an amvets box going and says "yes" every time they call.

Me?  I can't say yes because then I stress over getting it together and remembering to put it out on time.  It would be so convenient but I struggle every time I say yes.  Ugh!

I get it together first and then schedule and put it on my calendar with a reminder to set it out the night before. If it might rain, I'll throw a tarp over everything (with a note to not take the tarp). I still manage to forget sometimes, lol. When I'm home, they bang on the door and wait for me to grab it. If I'm not home, they leave a note and a new donation bag. I don't stress about it because I figure they are in the neighborhood regardless. 

Definitely get it together first. That pile of boxes is a very motivating reminder!

• Like 1

I either pass things along directly to someone that can use them or I donate to Goodwill. I used to work at Goodwill and I have seen firsthand the help it provides. The goal of Goodwill is not to provide inexpensive items for people with lower incomes to purchase (I used to get chewed out at least once a week by people with that misconception) but to fund training centers to provide education and job skills training for people with disabilities, people with a criminal background, and people with other barriers to employment. I always recommend people visit a local Goodwill job training center and see what the real mission of Goodwill is.

It makes me sick to my stomach to hear the argument that a person won't donate to Goodwill because they don't want to fund the CEO's jet or high salary or whatever. Refusing to donate only hurts the job training program in your local area, it doesn't hurt the CEO. Someone local - a veteran, someone with a disability, a displaced homemaker, someone with a criminal record - is the one who is directly affected. They will lose out on the job skills training, the boost in self-confidence that comes with being employable, and the income from the job they could have had. According to the Goodwill website, of the $5.87 billion in revenue in 2017, 87% ($5.1 billion) went towards programs (job skills training, education, etc.). The CEO earned approximately $700,000...slightly more than 1/10,000th of the total revenue.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Clear Creek said:

I either pass things along directly to someone that can use them or I donate to Goodwill. I used to work at Goodwill and I have seen firsthand the help it provides. The goal of Goodwill is not to provide inexpensive items for people with lower incomes to purchase (I used to get chewed out at least once a week by people with that misconception) but to fund training centers to provide education and job skills training for people with disabilities, people with a criminal background, and people with other barriers to employment. I always recommend people visit a local Goodwill job training center and see what the real mission of Goodwill is.

It makes me sick to my stomach to hear the argument that a person won't donate to Goodwill because they don't want to fund the CEO's jet or high salary or whatever. Refusing to donate only hurts the job training program in your local area, it doesn't hurt the CEO. Someone local - a veteran, someone with a disability, a displaced homemaker, someone with a criminal record - is the one who is directly affected. They will lose out on the job skills training, the boost in self-confidence that comes with being employable, and the income from the job they could have had. According to the Goodwill website, of the $5.87 billion in revenue in 2017, 87% ($5.1 billion) went towards programs (job skills training, education, etc.). The CEO earned approximately $700,000...slightly more than 1/10,000th of the total revenue.

This is exactly, EXACTLY, what I'm going to share with my mom. 

Thank you SO much, ClearCreek, for spelling it out for me. 🙂 

I used to donate to a local charity, but one of the ladies there was super picky and pretty rude to me about some items I brought to donate—items I would have been happy to receive when we were unemployed and struggling a few years earlier.  Now I donate to Goodwill or Deseret Industries.

• Like 1