Menu

Smart Characters who are "cool" and *KIND*? Editied OP

Gil

Mine kuds watch only one guy so far and it is Mr. Bean. Maybe he is not exactly what you are looking for, but he is kind, although not everytime very gentle😊 and he gets really smart ideas to solve the problems and of course he is very funny. According to the psychos all smart ppl should watch it 🙂

A Series of Unfortunate Events (the original movie was awful, but the recent Netflix series was great)

Doogie Howser

The smart kid in Newsies is nice and normal 

And another vote for Star Trek: The Next Generation 

Indiana Jones (Maybe not the Temple of Doom)

Edited by Michelle Conde

My family has enjoyed The Great British Baking Show. There are always highly intelligent, creative, and supportive contestants. I am thinking of Season 5, in particular, where there was a likable Med Student named James. Paul Hollywood, one of the judges, is smart about baking and earns the contestants respect. 

With it so cold recently, it is nice to consider the list of shows for my family.  

We tended to watch boxed sets of oldies like Lost in Space at that age.  The kids were laughing yesterday that the only live TV they ever watched growing up were cooking shows (Bake Off that a pp mentioned and the BBC Masterchef) and game shows.  University challenge appears to be on YouTube and was a huge favorite.  My kids also loved a game show called Pointless,  where you try for the least common right answer,  also British and on You tube.  

On 12/25/2018 at 7:38 PM, mathnerd said:

Forgot to mention the "How to train your dragon" series: Riders of Berk, Defenders of Berk, Race to the Edge. They portray a main character and his pet dragon and their relationship with each other as well as their team of do-gooders - spinoffs of the books by Cressida Crowell. Another option are the umpteen Pokemon TV serials - Ash Ketchum is kind, persevering, talented and ambitious and loves his pokemon.

My kids (daughter and son) love the How to train a dragon series (though we haven't been able to find them all on DVD)

BUT.. the only thing they seem to have in common with the books are the names. We tried reading the books.

If you like Science Fiction -- how about Babylon 5?

Edited by vonfirmath

On 12/27/2018 at 5:37 PM, GailV said:

Just popping in to say that Arthur Conan Doyle wrote the original Sherlock as a cocaine user and a jerk, so it would be rare to find any version anywhere that meets your criteria.

My personal votes for are for Star Trek Next Gen or else Enterprise.

I don't remember either of these from my readings of the books. I need to go back and re-read.

5 hours ago, vonfirmath said:

My kids (daughter and son) love the How to train a dragon series (though we haven't been able to find them all on DVD)

BUT.. the only thing they seem to have in common with the books are the names. We tried reading the books.

If you like Science Fiction -- how about Babylon 5?

Netflix has all the TV episodes if you are still looking for How to Train your dragon series ... The TV series are spinoffs and have their own storylines ...

17 hours ago, mathnerd said:

Netflix has all the TV episodes if you are still looking for How to Train your dragon series ... The TV series are spinoffs and have their own storylines ...

Good to know. We don't have Netflix though.

We have DVDs for all of the Riders of Berk season and 1 DVD for Defenders of Berk.

Willow in Buffy the Vampire Slayer? She’s portrayed as shy and a bit of a misfit in the beginning, but less so throughout the show and downright cool in later seasons. She’s sympathetic and a great friend throughout. (Well, there’s like two episodes in a later season where she goes bad, but it’s specifically shocking because it’s so far out of character.) Giles is also portrayed as very smart, though somewhat stuffy; he loosens up through the seasons. They won’t ever think of Giles as cool, but he’s not portrayed as “off” in any way either, just an adult in a teenager’s world. It’s about a vampire slayer, but the violence is tame and usually against monsters, and never gory. No sexual violence, though there are details about second season you may want to know ahead of time. I can’t remember any drinking or drug use, but I might not have paid attention; it’s definitely not a theme.

14 hours ago, Jackie said:

No sexual violence, though there are details about second season you may want to know ahead of time. I can’t remember any drinking or drug use, but I might not have paid attention; it’s definitely not a theme.

DH and I just watched the entire show all the way through last year. Spike drinks in many, many episodes, so much that if I were an artist drawing him, I'd have him in his black trench coat, with a cigarette in one hand and a bottle of liquor in the other.

In either season 5 or 6 Spike tries to rape Buffy in her bathroom. In another episode Buffy and another woman end up switching bodies and the other woman sleeps with Buffy's boyfriend. Since he thinks it's her, but it isn't, by modern conventions it's rape since he didn't consent to sleep with the other woman who just happened to be in Buffy's body.

Willow becomes downright evil part way through the show. This culminates with her flaying one of her enemies while he is still alive. She has him tied up to trees, arms and spread out wide, and then the viewers see him without his skin because she has ripped it all off.

Another character, Anya, is a former demon who spent centuries getting revenge for scorned women against their former lovers. Anya struggles to adjust to becoming human. While she does adjust, there are scenes of her getting revenge on men that may not be what the OP is looking for in a show.

9 hours ago, JumpyTheFrog said:

DH and I just watched the entire show all the way through last year. Spike drinks in many, many episodes, so much that if I were an artist drawing him, I'd have him in his black trench coat, with a cigarette in one hand and a bottle of liquor in the other.

In either season 5 or 6 Spike tries to rape Buffy in her bathroom. In another episode Buffy and another woman end up switching bodies and the other woman sleeps with Buffy's boyfriend. Since he thinks it's her, but it isn't, by modern conventions it's rape since he didn't consent to sleep with the other woman who just happened to be in Buffy's body.

Willow becomes downright evil part way through the show. This culminates with her flaying one of her enemies while he is still alive. She has him tied up to trees, arms and spread out wide, and then the viewers see him without his skin because she has ripped it all off.

Another character, Anya, is a former demon who spent centuries getting revenge for scorned women against their former lovers. Anya struggles to adjust to becoming human. While she does adjust, there are scenes of her getting revenge on men that may not be what the OP is looking for in a show.

Nearly all of this is season 6. The show did get a lot darker and rougher that season than it had ever been. I wish they had let the show end with season 5, when they had a perfectly good stopping point and we’re changing networks. Spike does drink and smoke, but as a soulless demon, he’s hardly meant as a role model.