Menu

What are you eating over the holidays?

prairiewindmomma

Christmas Eve:

Mid-day - Roast Beef, roasted veggies, fresh bread, gravy, and inexplicably, spanikopita

evening - cheese and chocolate fondue

Christmas Day: 

Turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, green beans, buttered corn, stuffing, gravy, homemade rolls, loads of cookies

evening - if anyone gets hungry ever again they can go for leftovers. We’ll be overloaded with meat, bread, cheese, and fruits and veggies

We just finished eating ebelskivers and I’m making tamales and corundas tonight.  Tomorrow morning we’ll have red and green waffles with strawberries and then I’ll make lasagne at some point, if I feel like it. I’d rather eat leftover tamales. It’s ds’s 18th birthday on Thursday and he requested crepes with cream and strawberries. They’re in season here now so we’re trying to take advantage of them. He also wanted a berry pie.  No idea what he’ll want for dinner. I also have the stuff for Chex mix so we’ll have that sometime.  

I’m wondering if I should go to the store once more today to get a few more fun things to eat. It depends on whether dh has any more shopping he wants to get done.

Christmas Eve (just us) : pork carnitas

Christmas day (just us) : pancake and bacon brunch, fondue dinner, meringues and double cream (traditional post-fondue dessert in Switzerland) plus Angel Food Cake

26th (with famiy)  : Roast ham, gratin potatoes, green beans wrapped in bacon, Yule log cake, lemon tart, leftover angel food, cookies? Veggies and dip

Christmas eve - we just had boiled chicken and veg (from the chicken soup stock I made) with some mashed potatoes, slovak tomato sauce, and some fresh tomatoes & capsicum. Really chilled and thrown together. Eta- and a few gin and tonics 😄  My fil and sil and family are here for the night.

Christmas day- my fil is doing an entire pig on a spit. Dh is making fresh sourdough chapati. We've got a range of condiments and salads to make pork rolls, everything from Vietnamese style to curried lentils to southern bbq. We've got prawns and cheese platter as apertif. Then chicken soup. Fruit platter, pavlova and cranberry jelly/macaroon trifle for dessert. We'll have about 20 people here for Christmas lunch tomorrow. Should be great!

We'll have way too much food if anyone is in the area 😄

Edited by LMD

Christmas Eve Breakfast:  Bacon, hash browns, leftover quiche/banana bread.

Christmas Eve Lunch: Sandwiches or last nights leftovers (Irish Venison Stew and Cheesy Polenta... which I have to call grits or DH says it’s too close to eating cheesy placenta).

Christmas Eve Dinner:  It’s tradition to have spaghetti at my mom’s house.  I’m bringing the salad and pao de queijo (those little tapioca cheese bread balls), and I already sent over GF appetizer stuff.  Getting ready to make some GF “Ritz” style crackers for tonight, too.

Christmas Breakfast:  Homemade GF cinnamon rolls and muffins (probably chocolate chip and blueberry).  Making these today to be ready for tomorrow.

Christmas Lunch: Appetizers/snack foods.  Depending on what everyone’s up for, I have crackers, cheese, buffalo meatballs, dip ingredients (spinach artichoke? sausage and Rotel? bean dip?), fruit and veggies, potato chips, tortilla chips and salsa... the rest of the Christmas cookies...

Christmas Dinner:  Rib roast, mashed potatoes, broccoli, spinach salad.

The Rest of the Week:  No idea.  After tonight, we are staying home and letting everyone know it’s an open house, whoever wants to drop by, say hello, eat, play some games.  What I make will depend on who and how many.

Just sent DH off to the store for last-minute items. I need buns and fresh veggies and didn't want to buy them before today, so this errand was planned. But I think I've been at the grocery store once or twice a day for the past four days. And I keep texting him and adding to his list. I need to plan better next time. Sigh.

Yesterday we drove about two hours to my sister's house. I took broccoli salad, Pioneer Woman's champagne oranges (made with sparkling grape juice), cookies, and Knox Blox jello in red and green.

Today (Christmas Eve), we will have egg sandwiches for lunch, because I have some leftover bacon from making the broccoli salad. Lasagna (made a month or two ago and frozen), garlic bread, salad, and cookies for dinner. We're going to a 2pm Christmas Eve service at church, so for once church does not conflict with dinner. Often I leave the lasagna in the crock pot while we are worshipping, but I won't have to this year.

On Christmas morning, we always have quiche (pre-made by me and frozen), and DH is picking up donuts.

Tomorrow, DH's family comes here around 2, and we will have heavy appetizers before opening gifts, instead of lunch. Crescent roll pizza, Pioneer Woman bacon wrapped crackers, veggie tray with dip, taco dip with chips, SIL is bringing shrimp cocktail, FIL/MIL are bringing sausage balls, plus I'll put out cheese and summer sausage and crackers.

For dinner later, we are keeping it easy.  We're having pulled pork (pre-made by me and frozen -- thawing now) with buns for those who want sandwiches. An assortment of pickles. Champagne oranges. One SIL is bringing deviled eggs, and the other is bringing salad and green beans. Also whatever appetizers are still left. Christmas cookies and chocolate chip cheesecake (pre-made by me and frozen), plus cake brought by MIL for dessert.

I try to do a lot ahead, but I have a big list of cleaning and some cooking and baking to do today. Plus a few things left to wrap, so I'd better get busy.

Merry Christmas, everyone!

On 12/19/2018 at 10:33 PM, Math teacher said:

If you can find Crystal Farms mashed potatoes, they are really good. They are refrigerated and just need to be heated in the microwave. They are usually with Crystal Farms Simply Potatoes hash browns-which are also delicious.

And Schwan's has them.  

• Like 1