Menu

What are you eating over the holidays?

prairiewindmomma

takeout curry 🙂

The current plan is that on the 24th we have company & will serve a sort of traditional Polish meal but with many alterations given that it's now vegan & low fat etc. Handmade (but not by me!) pierogi (potato & onion; mushroom); beet soup; potato casserole thingy; cabbage casserole thingy; roast mushrooms & a bunch of other odds and ends. The plan is to make enough of all this that we have enough to last us through the 26th so nobody has to cook again.  We're just en famille on the 25th (yay!!!) and then we are bringing beets & pierogi to a lunch at SIL's on the 26th. 

Then we get  a huge order of takeout vegan curry and have that for the next 3 days.  

Edited by hornblower
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, hornblower said:

takeout curry 🙂

The current plan is that on the 24th we have company & will serve a sort of traditional Polish meal but with many alterations given that it's now vegan & low fat etc. Handmade (but not by me!) pierogi (potato & onion; mushroom); beet soup; potato casserole thingy; cabbage casserole thingy; roast mushrooms & a bunch of other odds and ends. The plan is to make enough of all this that we have enough to last us through the 26th so nobody has to cook again.  We're just en famille on the 25th (yay!!!) and then we are bringing beets & pierogi to a lunch at SIL's on the 26th. 

Then we get  a huge order of takeout vegan curry and have that for the next 3 days.  

Oh, I would love to have an Indian food for holidays tradition!!!

• Like 1

Lasagna (when DS is here but DD isn't yet)

vegan vegetable dish, perhaps a curry or something roasted (when DD is here but meat loving DS is out)

London Broil and veggie sides (when we have a family friend visit.)

Grandma's special Christmas salad (potatoes, apples, red beets, celery, pickles, herring) - at all times 😉

Duck and roasted veggies (big family feast - Christmas eve?)

• Like 2

A standing rib roast,  potatoes roasted in duck fat and roasted carrots.  Not sure what else, but I guess we better start thinking!

Possibly a dessert we saw in a magazine.  Individual cranberry pavlova with lime custard.  It looked great.  My ds2 can't have dairy so will probably make his custard with coconut milk or that frozen coconut topping.  

• Like 1

Christmas day: Beef tenderloin, mushroom casserole, roasted potatoes, spinach salad, green peas, curried fruit. Not sure about dessert yet. Something chocolate. 

Christmas Eve is potluck at my SIL's. Turkey and roast beef as entrees, to please all the people and fill up all the teens and college students. I am taking mushroom casserole and green salad. 

NYE or NY day: ham, potato casserole, broccoli, green salad, baked apples.

• Like 1

Christmas eve: roasted duck, ham (for those who don't want to try duck), stuffing, brussels sprouts, mashed potatoes, plum pudding, and julekake.  MIL is bring some sort of pizza bread thing that she really wanted to try.

Christmas day at my parent's house:  ham, potatoes of some sort, whatever my siblings bring to share, crab dip, and Bûche de Noël (if it turns out because I have never tried it before). For dinner that night we are having appetizers that we all like: mozzarella sticks, quiches, stuffed mushroom casserole, and of course left over Christmas cookies and candy.

Christmas Eve will be raviolis - baked and boiled (my family likes them both ways), garlic rolls, cranberry sauce, frosted sugar cookies, fudge, bark.  

Christmas Day at my in-laws will be ham, roast beef, potatoes, veggies, rolls, fruit, cheese and crackers, candy, and cookies.  

We've sort of settled on Chicken Kiev for Christmas Eve and grilled steaks for Christmas day as our "traditional" meals over the last few years. We used to do lasagna but the kids don't really like it, tried ham but too much sodium for dh, tried prime rib but too much leftover, tried easy appetizers but we don't really want that much junk, etc.

We always do a simple soup and bread bowls for Christmas Eve.  But we don't have a real tradition for Christmas day.  I am leaning towards all appetizers, but I'm worried that there will come a point when we all look around and say "what's for dinner".  My dh is deployed this year, so I want to keep things very simple but also special for my two kids at home. Maybe a small ham with some mashed potatoes from the freezer section (is there such a thing? I really don't want to peal and boil and smash potatoes, but I am morally opposed to potato flakes...) along with some easy finger foods.

25 minutes ago, WendyLady said:

I am leaning towards all appetizers, but I'm worried that there will come a point when we all look around and say "what's for dinner". 

That would happen here with my sons.  I love the idea of just having snack foods out all day but they would definitely require a full meal.  

Just because it’s Christmas doesn’t mean my kids suddenly stop being picky.  Sigh. 

So, it’s Spaghetti Monday on Christmas Eve, just like all the other 51 Mondays of the year.  We’ll eat lunch on Christmas Day at the Chinese buffet.  Dinner is a frozen pizza for the boys, (they’ll be thrilled) and a veggie lasagna for DH and me because we pretty much never bother to cook that because the boys won’t eat it.

Edited by Garga
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

My aunt will be bringing ham and the best homemade rolls for cold ham sandwiches as the first course. Then my dad and I will be making homemade raviolis for the main course. I imagine we'll be assembling them on the 22 or 23rd. Making raviolis with my dad is my favorite with about Christmas. We've been doing it since my grandmother died when I was 16, so 16 years agos. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, WendyLady said:

We always do a simple soup and bread bowls for Christmas Eve.  But we don't have a real tradition for Christmas day.  I am leaning towards all appetizers, but I'm worried that there will come a point when we all look around and say "what's for dinner".  My dh is deployed this year, so I want to keep things very simple but also special for my two kids at home. Maybe a small ham with some mashed potatoes from the freezer section (is there such a thing? I really don't want to peal and boil and smash potatoes, but I am morally opposed to potato flakes...) along with some easy finger foods.

If you can find Crystal Farms mashed potatoes, they are really good. They are refrigerated and just need to be heated in the microwave. They are usually with Crystal Farms Simply Potatoes hash browns-which are also delicious.

• Like 1

For Christmas Eve, always homemade waffles with real maple syrup and bacon. For Christmas morning, aebleskivers with strawberries and fresh whipped cream. For Christmas dinner, probably ham, mashed potatoes, peas, brussel sprouts, green salad with Gorgonzola, walnuts, and raspberry vinaigrette, and homemade applesauce.

9 hours ago, Danae said:

Would you post the recipe? I don't need exact measurements -- all my grandma's recipes are along the lines of "add milk til it's wet."

Potatoes (boiled in the skin, then peeled), apples (chopped, with skin on), pickled red beets (save the juice!!!),pickles, onion, celeriac root (I replace it with chopped celery stalks here), walnuts. Salt+pepper+all the juice from the drained beets+ some pickle juice as seasonings. You can add sour herring.

Christmas Eve Morning: Einstein Brothers for coffee and a bagel sandwich. We will for waiting for our car to get new tires.

Christmas Eve: Dinner at a neighbor’s house. She’s having ham and Mac and cheese. 

Christmas Day: Cream of crab soup, with some special bread hubby picks out and pie. I’m thinking of making a breakfast casserole for the morning. After cooking and planning so many holiday dinners, DH and I have discovered the beauty of keeping things low key. Also, DH doesn’t like leftovers and I’m bad at cooking a big meal for two.🎄

Friday night w/my sister & her family -- roast (in the crock pot, because we're at a concert all day before they come over) w/potatoes & carrots, and a salad I will make ahead of time (hopefully) -- a cranberry/apple salad recipe I found on.....pinterest?....I think? 

Christmas (just us) -- we will heat up a ham, probably make biscuits or have some kind of good bread, and we buy a spread of cheeses & crackers every year from a cheese store in the city. We'll have ham & eggs for breakfast (we have the only children on the planet who sleep in on Christmas, so dh and I always have an hour or more awake waiting on them....gives time to cook in the morning....), then munch on ham, cheese, crackers, etc. all day long. DH has requested cranberry sauce to go with, so will also do that ahead of time. 

Post-Christmas week, the ham bone will turn into beans & cornbread 😉

Christmas get-together with the in-laws -- tamales; we're going down today to make them. 

We're going to do appetizers and picky type foods on Christmas Eve. We have to be at church just before 5 for a 6 pm service because DS is in the children's play and I'm a greeter. Will probably get home around 730, so I struggled with when/what to eat. 

Christmas day I will make cinnamon rolls (Pioneer Woman's recipe) for breakfast and lasagna with salad and garlic bread for the meal, whenever we decide that will be, along with leftover appetizers from the night before.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, WendyLady said:

When my dh was deployed over Thanksgiving one year I let each kid pick a dish.  We ended up with pancakes, mashed potatoes, and pie. 

• Like 4

Maybe filet mignon.  I usually undercook it by accident - it's hard for me to accomplish. But, I'm trying again.  Sauteed mushrooms and onions maybe in butter, romaine lettuce salad and maybe a twice baked potato.  Dessert: my homemade pumpkin pie made from scratch from pie pumpkins.  

Edited by sheryl

We'll have traditional Swedish fare on the 22nd at my parent's because my brother works on Christmas Eve. ... Ham, Jansson's Temptation (type of scalloped potatoes), apple and beet salad, red cabbage dish, pickled herring, potatoes, dark brown bread dipped in drippings (to remind us of lean times).  cookies, rice porridge and rice a la malta which is like a rice pudding, non alcoholic Glogg.

Christmas Day Cinnamon Rolls for Breakfast.

Then I'm going to roast a leg of lamb and haven't decided on sides. 

My brother in law always makes tomatoe soup and over the top grilled cheese Christmas day... lots of cheese, ham, and any other topping you might like. We like it when they come over but my husband can't have dairy so that's out. 

Edited by Moncha

On Christmas Eve I'm making a sausage, apple, and gouda savory pie for lunch. Then we'll eat at Cheesecake Factory for dinner. 

Christmas morning, we'll cook bacon and eggs and scones (already mixed, frozen, and ready to bake). Then for lunch we're having BBQ from a famous local place (DH is picking up on Christmas Eve) and some easy sides. Dinner will be leftovers. 

I also have some ginger and peppermint cookies (2 separate kinds, not ginger and peppermint together) in the freezer, ready to be baked. 

I'm looking forward to it being delicious and easy. 

Late in the game, but friends invited us for Christmas dinner. I figured the invitation was coming because we went there last year, but it is especially treasured this round.

I work in retail Saturday - Monday, and it's so nice just to make stuffing and apple crisp and go elsewhere. There, I said it.

• Like 3

On 12/19/2018 at 2:42 PM, prairiewindmomma said:

Inspire me.

For Christmas dinner-

Roast beef with black cherry & pepper glaze, smoked ham, greens, stuffed mushrooms, twice baked potatoes, pecan pie and pound cake

For New Year’s Day-

Black eyed peas, cornbread, tamales, rice, and beans

I miss HEB! We used to but their fresh hot tortillas most mornings. There is no store that sells hot fresh tortillas here.

I decided to make one special meal a day for the next three days.

Today I made shrimp fajitas.

Tomorrow we are having tamales, corn casserole (with Chiles and green cheese), a veggie salad, and Texas sheet cake (chocolate cake with cinnamon). 

On Christmas we are having Thanksgiving x2—turkey, mashed potatoes, a fresh cranberry apple salad, rolls, and cookies. 

For Christmas breakfast I am making orange rolls, a fruit salad, and sausage. 

I think I am doing a quiche Lorraine for Christmas lunch with a green salad but I am not sure...

Tomorrow we are having a big lunch and a light supper. No guests. I have a Christmas Eve program to direct tomorrow night. In the morning, I'll pop a roasting chicken with potatoes, carrots, and onions into the oven. We'll have quick sandwiches before the program.

Christmas Day my mom and MIL are cooking a brown sugar, spiral sliced ham. There will be mashed potatoes with cream cheese, green beans, mandarin oranges and kiwi, salad, and rolls. Chocolate pudding with whipped cream for dessert.

Day after - the grandmothers will have leftovers but we hit the road for Huntsville so the boys and I will be eating on the road. We are taking a picnic lunch to eat in the car or if warm enough in Mid-Ohio, at a rest stop picnic table. We'll have a snack for supper on the road, and DD will have nachos ready when we arrive.

The next day we are unloading their moving cube and unpacking boxes. We are just putting out trays of good lunch meat, fresh veggies, fruits, cheese, and crackers to eat on all day so people can munch whenever they like, and we don't have to worry about cooking.

Tomorrow (Christmas Eve) we'll just have sandwiches because I'll be doing some pre-cooking and don't want to cook dinner. We also don't want pizza or takeout, so sandwiches it is.

Christmas - cheese ravioli and meatballs, salad, spiral ham and rolls for those who want to make a sandwich. There will be wine, soda, pie, and coffee.

Appetizers/pre-dinner snacking will include several kinds of olives, roasted red peppers, cheese and crackers

I take a vacation from cooking on the 24th and 25th, so only food that requires minimal effort is allowed. 😉 Luckily, we like to have appetizers and snacks instead of a big meal. The kids and I went to Natural Grocers today and filled up our cart with lots of vegan appetizers, crackers, chips, dip, and produce to make a huge salad. For dessert, we got an apple pie and two little carrot cakes.

• Like 1