Menu

Dairy-free cheese that melts?

HomeAgain

10 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

What is this unicorn of which you speak? Daiya melts, but it tastes disgusting.

If I were doing it in a soup and you need tang, I'd look at one of the cashew varieties...for a bean soup with a mexican flair, I'd look at something like this: https://www.thespruceeats.com/dairy-free-queso-dip-1001056

I really got my hopes up here for a minute because that would be perfect, but I need to see if she's allergic to tree nuts, too.  (peanuts are off the table for sure)

I'm trying to make a loaded baked potato soup.  Bacon, onions, potatoes in a thick gravy that is amazing.  I can do the first part:  make the bacon, sautee the onions, boil the potatoes in a broth (either chicken or vegetable)....I figure for the roux I can use bacon fat in place of the butter and then use soy milk and add that mixture to the potatoes along with the bacon and onions. At the end, I usually add a cup of cheese and 1/2 c sour cream.  The cream can be omitted entirely.  I've done that before with no issues.  But the cheddar adds a nice consistency and flavor.  I was thinking I could use, if needed, a small bit of mashed potatoes to thicken it more, but that still misses that mark.

18 hours ago, prairiewindmomma said:

What is this unicorn of which you speak? Daiya melts, but it tastes disgusting.

If I were doing it in a soup and you need tang, I'd look at one of the cashew varieties...for a bean soup with a mexican flair, I'd look at something like this: https://www.thespruceeats.com/dairy-free-queso-dip-1001056

That calls for tahini.  I've never found a tahini that didn't have peanut cross-contamination issues.  And I've never found cashews that didn't have cross-contamination issues either, by the way.

• Sad 1

The new Daiya Cheddar Cutting Board Shreds are pretty decent IMO (but I didn't hate the original Daiya either so...) They do melt nicely. 

But nutritional yeast will add the umami flavour and might be a better choice. 

You can cream it up by cooking extra potato and instead of mashing, blend with immersion blender and the soup broth & then stir back in. You may want to use a couple different types of potatoes - waxier ones to stay chunky in soup, and the starchier ones to be cooked and blended for thickening. 

You can also thicken with the vegan sour cream or very soft tofu (which then also increases the protein count)

• Like 2

You guys are great!

I know where I can buy nutritional yeast, and that, plus a soft tofu or the potatoes...I can definitely do.

I thought about omitting the cheese entirely, Selkie, but it does feel too watery without it.  Like, it's thick, but it's not stick to your ribs thick, you know? There's seriously a flavor layer missing that brings up the potatoes from the broth-logged state they were in.  And I have no idea if that makes any sense. LOL  It's the same issue I had to work out with my beef stew so that you taste the flavor all the way through the potato.   Thankfully this is not a Christmas present, but I'd like to have it worked out by January when I see her next and be able to bring her something she misses.  It'll give me a few weeks to play around with it and test it out on the teen.  It's his favorite soup, so if he thinks it's good then I know I have a winner. 😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, perkybunch said:

That calls for tahini.  I've never found a tahini that didn't have peanut cross-contamination issues.  And I've never found cashews that didn't have cross-contamination issues either, by the way.

Gotcha. My peanut allergic daughter did ok, but people have different levels of sensitivity. 

Sesame King Tahini is supposed to be the safe for nut allergic people (nut free facility): https://www.amazon.com/Sesame-King-Tahini-Paste-16-Ounce/dp/B0042ROCYM

These are cashews from a peanut free factory: https://www.amazon.com/Sunshine-Nut-Company-Sprinkling-Cashews/dp/B01N4D9W5E?th=1