Menu

Electric Scooter for commuting

maize

Anyone have experience with electric scooters for adults?

I'm wondering if my husband could use one for commuting to and from work, about 4 miles.

It's a bit far to walk, and if he has to stop driving because of visual field problems I don't want him biking on the road. No public transportation between here and there. There are sidewalks to whole way so I wonder if he could use a electric scooter.

Is it legal in your town to ride an electric scooter on the sidewalk? In some states it is not, and the the scooter has to go on the road. which makes it not any safer than a bike.

He should wear a helmet because the speeds can get quire high.

My DS used a scooter to ride to campus when he had car trouble, a similar distance. It worked fine.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

It is not legal here to ride on sidewalks, and people do get ticketed.

ETA: I live somewhere with Bird and Lime and other competitive scooter pay per use. The major complaints seem to be that the scooter is seriously slow going uphill and you are limited to a backpack in terms of hauling stuff (purse + lunch bag + laptop bag is too hard to balance).

Edited by prairiewindmomma
  • Like 1

I just like to be contrary 😉

“... Current City and County of Denver ordinances (as well as state law) classify e-scooters as “toy vehicles,” and therefore they are required to be ridden on the sidewalks. It’s currently illegal to ride electric scooters in roadways or in bike lanes...”

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Ailaena said:

I just like to be contrary 😉

“... Current City and County of Denver ordinances (as well as state law) classify e-scooters as “toy vehicles,” and therefore they are required to be ridden on the sidewalks. It’s currently illegal to ride electric scooters in roadways or in bike lanes...”

which makes little sense considering that they go 20 mph, which is faster than many bicycles that are NOT allowed on sidewalks...

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

In my city bikes are allowed on sidewalks except in one little downtown area.  I think this is a bad law, but it is what it is.

We recently had a long string on our neighborhood elist with a mom complaining because elderly pedestrians out for a morning walk did not get out of the way so that her two sons could pass on their bikes on the sidewalk even after they rang their bells at her and the mom yelled at them.  I was not sympathetic.

Anyway, re the scooter, they are not safe on the road but are dangerous to pedestrians.  Honestly this does not sound like a very good plan.

• Confused 1