Menu

At what point do you include a kid's bf/gf...?

Farrar

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, StellaM said:

What do people do with Xmas cards that come with a family pic on the front, if it's not like - idk - your relatives ? ie people you actually are related to by blood, marriage or long standing partnership ? 

I can't imagine putting up a row of pics of other people's families on the mantelpiece ? I mean, I'd put up a card  of my sis and my nephew, but that's about it.

I don't like them.  I just try to choose pretty cards, often from a charity I like.

• Like 1

On 12/15/2018 at 3:03 PM, StellaM said:

What do people do with Xmas cards that come with a family pic on the front, if it's not like - idk - your relatives ? ie people you actually are related to by blood, marriage or long standing partnership ? 

I can't imagine putting up a row of pics of other people's families on the mantelpiece ? I mean, I'd put up a card  of my sis and my nephew, but that's about it.

We put all the Christmas cards with photos on our wall to look at throughout the years. Even friends from church, etc. It's a reminder to pray for them and to grin as to how the kids have grown up.

• Like 2

I don't know, I have multiple liberal, only moderately religious friends (Catholics, Methodists) who started dating their spouses in middle school or early high school.  Some of them have been together since 6th grade. Once one of my (female) friends said to me, "What do you do when you know you found the one you're supposed to be with at 13?"  In her case it made her feel icky so she tried to ignore it and dated other people until halfway through college. So if one of my kids, having grown up with parents who had a healthy relationship, started dating a good kid who seemed like one of us and they both felt like they were going to be together forever I'd probably have a large degree of skepticism but after about 3 years of drama free healthy relationship I'd probably be pretty supportive.  It would have to be really special to be pajamas in the only Christmas photo supportive, but if I got one of those cards with one big picture on the front and multiple photos on the back I would definitely include her there.

It's a little weird. But I don't care for holiday photo cards, especially photos of people I have never met.  "Here's a picture of a stranger!"  Thanks...?  

To answer your question, if I were to do holiday photo cards with the bf/gf, it would happen after they were considered family.  Maybe that's after several years of dating, engagement, or marriage; I don't know exactly when, just whenever everyone felt they'd hit "family" status.     

Edited by MissLemon

On 12/15/2018 at 3:03 PM, StellaM said:

Truth? I throw them away after a little while.  I'm not a greeting card and photos-on-display type of person. 

• Like 1

On 12/15/2018 at 3:10 PM, EmseB said:

All of this. I would say that the holiday card photo is a symptom of a problem where adults who should know better are putting the bf and gf in a bad situation should they break up in the future.

If the gf considers herself part of the family it is a huge loss to her on all sorts of levels if they break up. She's dealing with a break up and a loss of "family". And the family might encourage the bf to stay with her because they just love her so much and included her in all these family events and she's like a daughter-in-law. At 14! That's not healthy at any age, really, but high school? Yikes.

Wow, you just summed up my highschool romance and breakup.  BF and I met when I was 15 and he was 16 -the same age that his mom and dad were when they met! Huge pressure for us to be together forever and get married right from the start.  My home life was lousy, so I was so happy to be included in bf's family life.  When we eventually broke up, it was devastating.  I didn't just lose a boyfriend, but my new "family".   

None of this really resonates with me, so I'm shrugging and saying, "Meh."   I send boxed Christmas cards, not photo cards if we bother to send any at all.  I don't keep Christmas cards after New Year's Day. I carefully ignore matching jammies for adults as a coping mechanism. We include the SOs in family pics when they're in a live in, engaged, or married relationship, but if someone else wants to risk a photographic record of the kids' previous relationships, go ahead; it's not my photo album.

I'm a bit "meh" on it.  I wouldn't personally do it, unless for some reason I was in a delicate relationship place with one of my kids, and they were insistent that so-and-so be in the photo... I would not pick that battle.    

My brother and I each had a SO in high school who became like a member of the family.  These were young people who had major struggles in their families of origin.  They continued to be parts of our family after the breakups, at least for a while.  My brother's eventually drifted away, but I'm still very close friends (as are my parents and brother) with my old boyfriend.  It would have been a shame to lose such a great person just because we dated for three months and then decided it was a bad idea.  Anyway, these were kids who were at our house for holiday gatherings quite often because they just didn't have loving options of their own.  And my mom included them with stockings containing the usual stocking fare (for our family)- new toothbrush, fancy chapstick, other nicer-than-usual necessities, chocolate, etc.