Menu

How much $$ does a social secretary/chauffeur make?

alisoncooks

Because I think I'm seriously underpaid!

I feel like I spent hours today coordinating 2 upcoming Christmas parties for oldest DD, as well as two other evening activities. (All in the next 2 weeks.) Presents to buy for each and food to take and carpooling to arrange.  I know it's a season, and I am VERY glad she has these opportunities and social groups, but...dang! It's tiring for this introvert mama. 

Anyone else in this stage? Chauffeur mothering?

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, alisoncooks said:

Because I think I'm seriously underpaid!

I feel like I spent hours today coordinating 2 upcoming Christmas parties for oldest DD, as well as two other evening activities. (All in the next 2 weeks.) Presents to buy for each and food to take and carpooling to arrange.  I know it's a season, and I am VERY glad she has these opportunities and social groups, but...dang! It's tiring for this introvert mama. 

Anyone else in this stage? Chauffeur mothering?

I remember well.....and then one day it is just poof! gone.  They don't  need you for anything anymore.  LOL  

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

I remember well.....and then one day it is just poof! gone.  They don't  need you for anything anymore.  LOL  

I'll try to remember that.  Right now I feel like everyone (event the 9 1/2 year old) is in the pushing away from mom stage at the same time as needing me desperately (for cuddles or rides or social coordinating, ingredient buying (dd loves to make cookies for everyone (except her family).  I'm thinking I need to begin telling her she needs to finance this a bit (or make us cookies!)

OP--I'm right there with you.  We've experienced the "no social life" phase and I'm willing to do anything to avoid that again, but--phew--am I weary of chauffering and hosting and .......  I also have two recitals (and rehearsal for recitals)  and a big event for my dh and a pageant and a vespers evening all of which are really not optional for various reasons.  Part of me is thrilled they have the opportunities, part of me wishes they were overflowing with gratitude fully aware that I am financing this social life (with gas and cookies) and that I don't really want to drive them 20 minutes there and either hang out for coffee or make the round trip later and that I do it because I love them and am an awesome mom.  Then dh wants a social life, but doesn't connect with the families of the kids that are dc's friends. 

yeah, if I were paid..................................................................

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, freesia said:

Part of me is thrilled they have the opportunities, part of me wishes they were overflowing with gratitude fully aware that I am financing this social life (with gas and cookies) and that I don't really want to drive them 20 minutes there and either hang out for coffee or make the round trip later and that I do it because I love them and am an awesome mom. 

Yes!  I enjoy reading in the car as much as the next person...but still, the driving back and forth gets to me. 😛

I *am* grateful that DD has found some groups to be a part of. We had a few years where she was very unhappy and lonely, so I'm willing to push on. 

• Like 2

According to the Dept. of Labor Occupational Outlet Handbook:

chauffer maybe you could use this info to make a case for a new whatever you want:

$24,880 per year 
$11.96 per hour

And for event planner

Occupational Employment and Wages, May 2017

13-1121 Meeting, Convention, and Event Planners

Coordinate activities of staff, convention personnel, or clients to make arrangements for group meetings, events, or conventions.

National estimates for this occupation
Industry profile for this occupation
Geographic profile for this occupation

National estimates for this occupation: Top

Employment estimate and mean wage estimates for this occupation:

Employment (1) Employment
RSE (3)
Mean hourly
wage
Mean annual
wage (2)
Wage RSE (3)
102,420 1.5 % $25.30 $52,630 0.8 %

Percentile wage estimates for this occupation:

Percentile  10%  25% 50%
(Median) 
75%  90% 
Hourly Wage  $12.69 $17.15 $23.22 $30.67 $39.89
Annual Wage (2) $26,390 $35,680 $48,290 $63,800 $82,980

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, J-rap said:

My kids are all in their 20's now, and I seem to have moved on to travel agent and personal therapist!  😄  

I always think this works for me, because those jobs fit my natural inclinations much better that chauffer, team mom and birthday party planner have. 

DD was just telling me she is considering applying for a program to teach English in France. This works for me! Perfect excuse for me to go back to France! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Quill said:

I always think this works for me, because those jobs fit my natural inclinations much better that chauffer, team mom and birthday party planner have. 

DD was just telling me she is considering applying for a program to teach English in France. This works for me! Perfect excuse for me to go back to France! 

My dd ended up working with that program for two years over there, a couple years ago!  (I assume it's the same program, because France's Ministry of Education kind of runs it and it would surprise me if there were other competing programs.)  If your dd ends up doing it, she's welcome to get in touch with my dd...  She learned a lot about what made her stay there more successful and enjoyable.  (Mostly logistic stuff -- which can be tricky over there!)

• Thanks 1

As the introvert mom of the most extravert girl imaginable... I feel ya!  I must have organized and carried out dozens of parties over the years.  The biggest one was an Alice in Wonderland Ball, complete with full decorations, costumes, dancing, and a photo booth. Exhausting!  She's at college now, and I think I probably don't get out as much as I should anymore!