Menu

Rec for a game console for 7yo

StaceyinLA

I have an old Wii I’m trying to connect for my dgs to play when he’s at my house. He’s had an iPad for a long time, but has never had a game system. I wanted to try the Wii instead of buying something until I see if he likes it.

The problem is, I’m having trouble getting the wireless controller to work because I think a piece might be missing (it has batteries). I’ll probably pick up a couple wired ones, and see if the system works, but IF it doesn’t, I’m looking for suggestions for a game system to get him that’s good, but won’t break the bank. I don’t know much about the ones that have been out the last 8-10 years honestly, so I’m just looking for suggestions.

Thanks.

We went from a Wii (which we really liked!) to the Nintendo Switch and it's a definite improvement. Screen resolution is much better and battery life for the controllers is no longer an issue. Mario Kart works better with multiple players and doesn't glitch. You can google for top game lists for Switch. He might like the new Super Mario Odyssey. I didn't look at Playstation because I wasn't sure we could find enough family-friendly games and didn't want to be constantly fighting over whether he could do some of their violent ones. 

We got our Switch used at GameStop and it has been fine. They have a VIP club to get discounts on games and rewards, and they have used games and a reasonable return policy for anything you buy used. 

Maybe call in a teen to see if they can get your Wii connected and working?

After our Wii died, we upgraded (haha) to a WiiU. Plus side: the games are pretty cheap and you can still use your Wii games. Downside: Nintendo has already moved on to the Switch, so it's already out of date. (We don't care -- my kids are getting Disney Infinity for Christmas, and that's already discontinued. They are still excited!) ?

For a 7yo, i would try syncing the remotes or buy a couple new ones off amazon for like $12@. 

There are plenty of games to play, Disney universe, movement based games, etc. And cheap games can be found used on Amazon (i get prime eligible so if they don't work, i just send them back for free, only happened 1x).

I agree that a Nintendo system is the best choice for younger kids. GameStop is a great place to buy used systems and games.

We still have the first Game Cube that I bought for my DD when she was 4. She is now 23 and still plays on it sometimes. Our first Wii did eventually break and was replaced with another used Wii which works fine. The Wii U has a small screen so that it can be used as a handheld or with the TV, but the design of it is not as nice as the Switch.

There aren't that many games out yet for the Switch and they are pretty expensive, and a new system is like $300. If it was me, I would get a used Wii (or work on getting the one you have working). Then if you want for him to have a handheld, I would suggest a Nintendo 2DS which has the 2 screens but doesn't fold. We have had way too many hinges get broken on the folding ones.

oh, for games - any of the Lego titles are great for kids because the never "die". If your character gets killed, it just falls apart and you lose your gold blocks. Then the character regenerates and you can keep going in the game.