Menu

Flu shot when sick?

nixpix5

My kids have their appointment for a flu vaccination today. Wouldn't you know it, my 7 year old woke up with a fever, cough, sore throat and feels completely miserable. I don't want to debate flu shots but want to hear if you are someone who gets flu shots for your children, would you do it when they were sick or would you wait? Our pediatrician has continually run out of the vaccine so we have had to wait for this appointment. Still, I am feeling slightly apprehensive about having him get the shot today. I am trying to decide what to do...

I would not.

For one thing, it will delay recovering form the sickness, because the immune system has to deal with both the sickness and the flu vaccine. More importantly, it will compromise the body's response to the vaccine because the immune system is busy fighting the sickness and may not create enough antibodies for the vaccine to be effective.

Edited by regentrude
  • Like 1

The doctor probably won't give the shot to a sick child, or adult for that matter. I'm not sure if he(she) will want to hold off on your other dc as well since they would have been exposed to whatever your one dc has. I'd call the office, talk to the nurse (unless you have a doctor who actually gets on the phone with you) and see what's recommended.

• Like 1

We give 1000 flu shots each year.  Our rule is that we don't vaccinate at the beginning of an illness because you don't know how bad the illness will get on its own.  We also will not vaccinate someone with a fever. We would leave the decision up to the parent on whether or not to vaccinate a seemingly healthy sibling of a sick child. Since the healthy sibling may or may not get sick, it wold be a hard judgement call to make. 

We do vaccinate people who are at the tail end of a cold or illness and have uncomplicated symptoms left (fading cough etc)

• Thanks 1