Menu

New birthday present ideas for an exchange student

aggieamy

We have a darling girl from Madrid living with us for the year. She's turning 16 next week and I want to make her birthday special since she's away from home. I need some present ideas. Help! She likes makeup a lot and other beauty products. She likes puzzle books. She enjoys reading but has a ton of things on her kindle already. It doesn't have to be big ... just something for her to unwrap at dinner. DD likes the ideas of getting her fun beauty products but I'm a bit of a plain jane and don't really know what would be cool or interesting for a 16 yo. It can't be too much of anything because she's got to pack it back across the ocean in May.

For dd16's birthday I bought her some new dresses and matching (costume) jewelry, so maybe you could find a fun necklace or bracelet.

Also, we bought several bouquets of flowers (different varieties) and each of my girls got to make their own flower arrangement.  They all seemed to enjoy that.

Good ideas upthread!

I feel like  flowers, chocolates/candy, and fun makeup are all consumable and won't be an issue for packing.  If you want her to have something to keep I'd add a cute necklace and also take a nice birthday photo to frame.

Edited by happi duck
  • Like 1

A little bouquet of flowers with an Ulta gift card tucked in would be sweet. Then you can take her and let the Ulta salesgirls pamper her- she can try out all kinds of things. 

It’s hard to pick out makeup for someone else and people who like that kind of thing usually enjoy choosing it- it’s part of the fun.

If you want a little piece of jewelry, can you find a Sweet Sixteen necklace or bracelet? Maybe on Etsy.  Sweet 16 is kind of an American thing and it would be a nice remembrance that she turned 16 while here. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, happi duck said:

Good ideas upthread!

I feel like  flowers, chocolates/candy, and fun makeup are all consumable and won't be an issue for packing.  If you want her to have something to keep I'd add a cute necklace and also take a nice birthday photo to frame.

The birthday photo could be emailed/sent back to parents overseas sooner as well so the parents can see their daughter is well taken care of.

• Like 1

I think I would go with a fun really American birthday dinner with a well decorated cake.  An American cake with what many consider disgusting white icing......think Target bakery.  ?  Since I know you guys like board games, maybe a travel sized game you all enjoy.  Maybe play the game for an hour or two after dinner with the big version.  Someplace Dh and I have a travel sized London Monopoly from our honeymoon that is about the size of a kindle that we keep lugging around with us, it’s special.

If you can’t decide on a small gift and your dd is excited about the makeup idea I would probably pack both girls off with modest gift cards to an Ulta and let them pick out some new makeup together.  If she hasn’t already been Ulta is such a girly experience and you can send your dd with someone who will love it!  Sort of a win win. ?. Plus the makeup will be consumed by May.....