Menu

FYI: iOS 12 iMessage bug (messages goes to wrong people) and charging bug

Arcadia

From Forbes on the iMessage bug https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2018/09/30/apple-ios-12-imessage-iphone-xs-max-upgrade-ipad-ios-problem/#591cafdd7423

“What iOS 12 quietly introduces (it was left off the official features list), is a unified thread for iMessage contacts who have multiple phone numbers and emails. The theory is solid: a friend or family member with multiple numbers and/or devices will now find all messages to them exist neatly in a single thread. 

The problem is iOS 12’s implementation of this feature is merging threads with different contacts, thereby creating potentially embarrassing situations where your message can go to several people unintentionally. 

“Without question, this issue began when I “upgraded” to iOS12,” explains one affected user. “This issue has been devastating and needs to be resolved ASAP. I depend upon iMessage and can no longer trust/depend on the tool to send messages to the proper person. In the same way, I cannot be sure from whom texts are actually being sent.” 

“Does anyone know how to fix this iOS 12 bug that merges two contacts together bc my mum & sister are now under the same text thread,” says other. “I gotta message my sister under Snapchat now.”

“Our text messages are all screwed up. My son’s are coming through as my husband and vice versa,” explains another. “My mom texts me and it goes to my husband or son’s phone. Also, we see each other’s phone call history. WTH is going on?!””

The Apple forum thread on this issue https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8537058

The iPhone also might not charge if it’s not awake. 

From BBC https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-45707211

“Apple has remained silent amid complaints that its new iPhone XS and XS Max smartphones fail to charge consistently when plugged in.

Several users have reported that their device refuses to charge if it has been idle for a while. Some charge only if the display is "woken up".”

The Apple forum thread on this issue 

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8551504?answerId=33923026022&page=1

• Sad 1

3 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Oh my word.  That is scary. 

My husband noticed that he gets duplicates of my iMessage last night and went to check if it’s a bug. Duplicates is less scary than the messages going to the wrong recipient. 

Luckily we discuss medical issues using WhatsApp and the recent iMessages are mainly about iOS bugs and coats shopping so it wouldn’t be as awkward if his parents and siblings received those messages as well. 

• Like 1

I was having this problem messaging my parents' when I updated to iOS 12 on my new phone last week. My husband figured out it's because my parents were sharing an iCloud account, even though they have separate phone numbers (and have for years)! Lucky for me, that's more annoyance than anything (my dad doesn't check his phone often, so messages meant for my mom's number went unread), and we were able to solve it by giving my dad his own iCloud account and then setting up family sharing for the two of them. Apparently Apple really doesn't want people using iCloud with more than one phone number. 

6 hours ago, Arcadia said:

From Forbes on the iMessage bug https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2018/09/30/apple-ios-12-imessage-iphone-xs-max-upgrade-ipad-ios-problem/#591cafdd7423

“What iOS 12 quietly introduces (it was left off the official features list), is a unified thread for iMessage contacts who have multiple phone numbers and emails. The theory is solid: a friend or family member with multiple numbers and/or devices will now find all messages to them exist neatly in a single thread. 

The problem is iOS 12’s implementation of this feature is merging threads with different contacts, thereby creating potentially embarrassing situations where your message can go to several people unintentionally.

Oh, yikes!!! And there is a problem with the bolded... I have friends who purposefully keep two iPhones - one for their home business and one for private use. If you (a friend) contact them regarding business stuff, you use their business number. All our conversations are neatly nested together in one cluster, and all our private "regular" conversations are nested in another! I consider each of those conversations separate. If this update merges all of that together, it will be one hot mess! ?

With this "merging" - is it merging OLD conversations together? So if your friend gave her mom her old iphone, the conversation is now going to show up on the mom's phone?

Why do they have to mess with something so flipping simple? Just texting - back and forth, thank you. It's easy enough!

(and if it merges my friends' conversations or my dh's conversations (he also has two phones), I'm not going to be a happy camper. I always postpone updates, though, so hopefully this will be remedied by the time I *have* to do it...)

Edited by easypeasy
  • Like 1