Menu

Garage Conversion

JustEm

Has anyone done a total garage conversion, as in taking out garage doors and walling it up either with or without windows/doors? Or have you done a partial? If so, I'd love to hear about the process, what you did to the garage, and if you are happy with the decision. Any exterior pictures would be extra helpful.

We think we found the house we want to make an offer on. It fits my family's needs perfectly and is priced well. But there isn't a spot for my parents so we are considering converting that to there bedroom and bath. They don't need a kitchen since they'll share the main one with us. 

Our neighbor did that. She totally remodeled the house and put the kitchen and dining room where the garage used to be.  After putting up siding to replace the garage door and removing the concrete right against it, you'd never know.  Of course,  there's no garage, and that's unusual here. 

39 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

I did. And it’s the best conversion I’ve ever seen. I’ll post pics later, but ive has multiple people tell me they’d never have guessed it used to be a garage. 

I would love pictures. I've seen so many exterior pictures that look so bad that I'm a bit scared to consider it. So good pictures are really appreciated.

16 minutes ago, klmama said:

Our neighbor did that. She totally remodeled the house and put the kitchen and dining room where the garage used to be.  After putting up siding to replace the garage door and removing the concrete right against it, you'd never know.  Of course,  there's no garage, and that's unusual here. 

Most of the conversions I've seen do not remove the concrete right against it and that drives me insane. 

No garage would be off in this neighborhood but we plan on being here for the long haul so I'm not worrying about resale value. Dh and I plan on seeing our kids through college here and my parents through the rest of their lives. So resale is the last thing on our minds.

HEres two pics. The interior shot isn’t tht great but the exterior is good. We put in a box bay window that juts out over the concrete pad. It’s gorgeous. The plan will be to eventually jackhammer up that asphalt strip and make a flower bed in its place.

key for us was matching the brick. We had a contractor who tracked down the brick from 16 years ago when we built.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/467weY5AVpiVD2yC6

Edited by fairfarmhand
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, fairfarmhand said:

HEres two pics. The interior shot isn’t tht great but the exterior is good. We put in a box bay window that juts out over the concrete pad. It’s gorgeous. The plan will be to eventually jackhammer up that asphalt strip and make a flower bed in its place.

key for us was matching the brick. We had a contractor who tracked down the brick from 16 years ago when we built.

That looks great!  Thank you for sharing. Because of the type of windows used I don't think the concrete there looks off.

33 minutes ago, Patty Joanna said:

Totally off topic!!!!!   I read the subject like as “Garage Conversation” and all that comes into my head is “Get this crap out of here!!!!!”

:::back to the real topic:::

Haha, autocorrect changed it to conversation 3 times before it let me keep the word I wanted.

sil''s house's previous owner did..   they put french doors in in place of the garage doors.   carpeted, walled, etc.   sil did more to finish it off.   it looks like it was part of the house.   it's mil's "apartment".  they put a mini fridge and microwave in there for her.  it has a 3/4 bath.

the original owners extended the garage wing to add a shop and two more bays so they have garage space.

5 hours ago, fairfarmhand said:

What is the name of the yellow paint you used, please?

Mine is quite obviously the garage.  I couldn't afford to do anything that that wasn't very simple so I have a wall where the door was with two windows and a door that is much shorter than a normal door but is a good fire escape. The garage is off the kitchen so we needed a door.  The driveway is still there as it is the only place to park - also the reason  to not have more windows.

Kinda sorta

BUT we did ours after a house fire so everything was gutted at that point.

Our house has the same layout on the outside but the garage from the exterior was designed to just look like part of the house. There were already 2 windows in the front to make it symmetrical with the other side. Where there had been one door going out the back there are now french doors.

Because we were rebuilding we were able to do the interior doorways how we wanted and we have 2 from the greatroom/fomer garage into the kitchen. If it had been a remodel we would have probably stuck with just one. I kinda sorta wish we just have one so it was not as open but that is part of what makes it flow.

For the flooring, they built it up so it is level to the rest of the house and the flooring was all done at the same time so it is the same. 

For the garage door end it was no big deal because we were redoing the house it was boxed in like everything else. The sidings is all the same.

We also put a bay window in but the house itself goes to the end of the concrete, the bay window hangs over that. We then have a flower bed in front of that to cover up where the old driveway used to go. 

So, ours just looks like part of the house because of the layout and because it was all finished at once after the fire. I'm certain it would not be as smooth if we had to do it after the fact. But if you get a decent contractor they should be able to make it passable. 

I was in a house yesterday with a converted garage. The room itself looked fine but you could tell it was converted because there was a step-down, the floor was different, and the teeny tiny doorway going to the other room. But you know the functionality of the room was the same, it was great for extra space. 

I think a garage converted could be an awesome apartment, there is sure plenty of space. Ours would be big enough for a generous bedroom, seating area, and bathroom. 

Maybe post some pics for some ideas, how easy it will be to convert depends on how it is laid out