Menu

PSA for those with college juniors

alewife

If your kids are juniors in college and plan to enter the work force upon graduation next year, now is the time that they should be looking for an internship for this upcoming summer.  There are some companies that only offer full-time positions to students who completed a summer internship with their company and many of these companies will soon be interviewing for next summer.  

Many companies will have completed their hiring of summer interns by Christmas.  Students waiting until the second semester of junior year to search for a summer internship will not have as many options.    

• Like 7
  • Thanks 3

While this is true, if your kids don't start looking until after Christmas, don't despair. Ds and several of his friends landed internships between February and April. Most local companies didn't post summer internships before Feb/March. I even saw one internship posted in May that ds would have loved, but he had already committed to another one. It is never too late until you pass your school's deadline.

• Like 1

Recruiters have been heavy on dd's campus this week.  

Students really need to be in contact with their career center and on top of when recruitment is taking place on their specific campuses.  Dd's campus has different major recruiting events for the different colleges at different times.  The business college has had several large events over the past several weeks. Some you have to submit your resumes online before meeting them at the recruiting event and others you can hand them your resume while you are talking with them.  Some are by appt only.  It truly is a scenario where it pays to be in the know.  It isn't any secret.  It just takes making sure you are informed and prepared.

• Like 1

Can I add that my husband would appreciate concise one page resumes. His dept gets arrowed to do internship interviews and HR picks the campuses. Each interviewer gets like 20 to 25 resumes. So be kind to the person who might have only one to three evenings to read through those resumes and cover letters because HR was sitting on the resumes and cover letters.

Also if your child makes dean’s list, put that down on the resume. GPA and dean’s list catch the attention of the HR screening those resumes at my husband’s workplace. Everyone that made the cut to get an interview happened to make deans list. He interviewed freshman to seniors and will be doing interview duty again probably in November.

• Like 2

Yes. My ds has a big recruiting event next week at his school and he has set aside some time that next week to follow up with resumes and applications because they will all be due by mid October. He was picking up dry cleaning and getting a haircut when he called me today so that he was all prepared. ?

However, he did land a part time first paid internship for last summer the last week of classes in May. It ended up being a good job for him and very worthwhile. But the “big ones” as he calls them will be applied for in October. (This is for an accounting major)

• Like 2

Ds is recruiting this week at his alma mater.  Being on the quarter system, it is actually the very first week of classes there!   When he went through the process as a junior, I believe that initial interviews were in Week 3 or maybe 4.  Offers were extended at the very beginning of November. 

While I agree with others that not getting anything in the fall isn’t the end of the world, there are certain industries and companies that have very defined recruiting schedules for summer internships.  Early bird gets the worm and all that!  Best to stay informed as 8 said!

• Like 1

Some companies also offer winternships, which are internships offered over Winter Break.

Some places will also hire freshmen and sophomores, too.

For some positions, interviewees might have to fly out for the interview for a few days during the school year. My youngest had an interview in NYC that involved two days of interviewing/problem solving -- right after the end of quarter finals -- and literally went from the last exam to the airport to the interview. It was very stressful. So, be aware of that.

Also, Glassdoor and Quora (and probably other sites) offer information about different internships, such as interview questions, what they're paid, etc. My youngest studied up for a few months on the types of questions and problems former interns said the firms would ask.

My youngest did get a nice offer this summer and is now a happy clam. Internships are definitely worth checking out.

Edited by BeachGal
  • Like 2