Menu

11/17-11/23 exercise check-in

This was our first morning run. It was sunny but cold temp 40 degrees.....anything below 50 is cold to us south Texas gals. :lol: BUT we did it. My dh is in shock because I usually just won't leave the house if it is below 50. :001_huh:

Walk 5 min, run/walk 20min almost 50/50, walk 5 min. Total 30 min

I'm so happy to report that Sunday morning, I ran 8km with only a few little breaks for water.

Now for the blunt part: it's reallly really hard for an overweight woman to run for very long at all. I've been running as a member of the 200 Club for at least 5 years. In the last few months, I've taken off some weight and running is sooooo much easier. I can barely believe it. Who knew that 15 lbs would make such a noticable difference?

My next exercise goal is to make friends with my "digital girlfriend" - dh bought me a watch/gps/calorie counter/distance so I have to take some time to get to know her. I'll have a better idea of how my workouts are progressing!

Cheerio, everyone!!!

T

We got a dog three weeks ago. And I've been taking him out for a walk 3-4x/day for the past three weeks. The afternoon & evening walks are usually pretty short, but the morning walk will vary from 15-30 minutes, with a nice long 45 minute walk once or twice per week. I've been walking him out, and then jogging or running back with him. Although the jogging/running part started off as just a playful move, it has gotten a bit longer and more deliberate. I've never cared for running as exercise of for a sport, but it's fun to run with my doggy.

Most of the time, it seems like the only outdoor time I get is going out to the car to shop or drive the kids somewhere. I've been wanting a time to get out by myself for a walk/snowshoe/xcountry ski, but never make time for myself. But I'll make time for the dog ;). So, this has been a really nice change for me.

Does it count as exercise? And how do I increase my jogging/running stamina, particularly without my knees swelling up?

It was only 38 when I headed out the door this morning! And the dog had diarrhea overnight so I didn't take him. (I hate cleaning up after dogs!) But it was a good run! No more of that Saturday issue. (Yeah!)

38 degrees, sunny- long sleeve tech shirt, capri length pants, ear flap hat.

3.0 miles, 30:29 minutes, 10:07 pace (!), 347 calories.

This was our first morning run. It was sunny but cold temp 40 degrees.....anything below 50 is cold to us south Texas gals. :lol: BUT we did it. My dh is in shock because I usually just won't leave the house if it is below 50. :001_huh:

That is cold in south Teax. Great job getting out in the cold!

I'm so happy to report that Sunday morning, I ran 8km with only a few little breaks for water.

Now for the blunt part: it's reallly really hard for an overweight woman to run for very long at all. I've been running as a member of the 200 Club for at least 5 years. In the last few months, I've taken off some weight and running is sooooo much easier. I can barely believe it. Who knew that 15 lbs would make such a noticable difference?

My next exercise goal is to make friends with my "digital girlfriend" - dh bought me a watch/gps/calorie counter/distance so I have to take some time to get to know her. I'll have a better idea of how my workouts are progressing!

Cheerio, everyone!!!

T

Great job T! Awesome weight loss!

We got a dog three weeks ago. And I've been taking him out for a walk 3-4x/day for the past three weeks. The afternoon & evening walks are usually pretty short, but the morning walk will vary from 15-30 minutes, with a nice long 45 minute walk once or twice per week. I've been walking him out, and then jogging or running back with him. Although the jogging/running part started off as just a playful move, it has gotten a bit longer and more deliberate. I've never cared for running as exercise of for a sport, but it's fun to run with my doggy.

Most of the time, it seems like the only outdoor time I get is going out to the car to shop or drive the kids somewhere. I've been wanting a time to get out by myself for a walk/snowshoe/xcountry ski, but never make time for myself. But I'll make time for the dog ;). So, this has been a really nice change for me.

Does it count as exercise? And how do I increase my jogging/running stamina, particularly without my knees swelling up?

That's the way we moms are - make time for everyone but ourselves! YES! It counts as exercise.

How to increase - slowly! If you are swelling now, you may need to change something - shoes, stretching, heat before/ice after. Once you stop swelling, then you can add distance but slowly and then only as long as you don't swell again. I'm not a doctor, nor do I play one on TV, so this advice may only be worth what you paid for it.

and walked a half a mile. I've been running closer to 2 miles, but I couldn't seem to get there today.

I haven't posted in a while, but I have been running.

I have a new goal of running a mile on my off days, and then do my pilates rountine. But that means running almost everyday. I hoping that running just a mile on my slow days will help increase how long I can run on my "running" days, kwim?

and walked a half a mile. I've been running closer to 2 miles, but I couldn't seem to get there today.

I have a new goal of running a mile on my off days, and then do my pilates rountine. But that means running almost everyday. I hoping that running just a mile on my slow days will help increase how long I can run on my "running" days, kwim?

Kim, you are doing great! We all have off days. It will work out.

I got in 40min this morning and plan to do more later.

Great job! Did you get to more later? I don't know why, but I always find that when I think I'll go back and do more later, I never do!

Woohoo!!!!! GREAT job! Getting out in the cold is HARD!!!

Cheerio, everyone!!!

T

GREAT run!!! Good for you for losing the weight!! How did you do it? I'm living proof that running isn't all it takes!! Which digital girlfriend did you get? I'm looking at a Garmin.

Sure does count as exercise!!! Way to go! I think sometimes as moms we forget to take care of ourselves. Isn't it nice to have the dog as an excuse?

As far as the knees go - be careful! I ended up pushing myself way too hard at first when I started working out. I had shin splints and ligament trouble in my knee. It was awful! New shoes helped. But I figured out I needed to start out more slowly.

It was only 38 when I headed out the door this morning! And the dog had diarrhea overnight so I didn't take him. (I hate cleaning up after dogs!) But it was a good run! No more of that Saturday issue. (Yeah!)

38 degrees, sunny- long sleeve tech shirt, capri length pants, ear flap hat.

3.0 miles, 30:29 minutes, 10:07 pace (!), 347 calories.

Wow! Good for you! 38 is SOOOO cold. Were you really cold when you first started? I'm not surprised you were so fast - your body was COLD!!!! LOL

I'm glad you're sticking with it! I think the consistency is important. If you can get out the door every day - more power to you! I'm not sure my body actually needs the rest, but I know my brain does!!!

I couldn't face the cold this morning again. It was snowing HARD!! I did my Walk Away the Pounds video - 4 mile one (but I quit at the end where it gets corny). And, I did my abs workout. I WILL get out there tomorrow.

I don't keep track of calories and didn't have a clue how many one burns while running, until I saw that in your posts. There must be days when I spend almost as much energy running as I take in. Of course, with our aging metabolisms, we don't need to consume a ton. Except for baked goods, of course. Those are a priority.;)

I don't keep track of calories and didn't have a clue how many one burns while running, until I saw that in your posts. There must be days when I spend almost as much energy running as I take in. Of course, with our aging metabolisms, we don't need to consume a ton. Except for baked goods, of course. Those are a priority.;)

LOL about baked goods!!! If I look at them I gain weight, unfortunately. My metabolism has REALLY changed. Ugh.

I was interested in the calories too. When I worked out at the hotel this weekend, I was really surprised at how many calories they said I burned. I wonder how accurate those are. I would guess that the Nike/IPod thing would be more accurate as it has weight and all.

I need some motivation, so I'm joining you gals here after lurking last week.

I'm a runner/walker with new foot pain (ugh). So, I've switched to mostly exercising on my recumbent bike. My hope is that my foot will like the rest and feel better soon. The bike goal is 5 mornings/week of at least 30 sweaty minutes and also easy walks in the evenings when possible. The morning workout is a switch for me, so I'm hoping to stick with it.

So, today I did my 30 minutes! It's a beautiful evening here in Seattle, so I'll see if I can get out tonight.

Thanks for the inspiration, everyone!

msjones

I need some motivation, so I'm joining you gals here after lurking last week.

I'm a runner/walker with new foot pain (ugh). So, I've switched to mostly exercising on my recumbent bike. My hope is that my foot will like the rest and feel better soon. The bike goal is 5 mornings/week of at least 30 sweaty minutes and also easy walks in the evenings when possible. The morning workout is a switch for me, so I'm hoping to stick with it.

So, today I did my 30 minutes! It's a beautiful evening here in Seattle, so I'll see if I can get out tonight.

Thanks for the inspiration, everyone!

msjones

Welcome msjones! Great job! Did you make it out again?

I'm about to go run 6 miles. My joints are still aching from Saturday's long run so I'm going to try and keep my pace to just under 9 minute miles.

You know Colleen, I remember you complaining you were slow! I think you're one of the fastest in or group! Hope your run was good!

LOL about baked goods!!! If I look at them I gain weight, unfortunately. My metabolism has REALLY changed. Ugh.

I guess mine hasn't that much because I overload on baked goods whenever possible. I bake something just about every day ~ and trust me, it's not for the benefit of my family. Not that I don't share. I do. But my family eats their reasonable portion after dinner and later, when they're all sleeping, I dig in. LOL

I was interested in the calories too. When I worked out at the hotel this weekend, I was really surprised at how many calories they said I burned. I wonder how accurate those are.

Yeah, one wonders. I mean, sure there are days when I scarf down thousands of calories of cookies.:D But there are also days when, sadly, I don't have that opportunity. There are days when I eat very, very little. And it's just hard to believe that I'm taking in so little energy on those days, yet burning 1000+ calories if I'm doing a long run. I dunno. This is one reason I typically don't count calories, or even weigh myself. I figure if I look fine and feel (relatively) decent, that's what matters, kwim?:)

Edited by Colleen

You know Colleen, I remember you complaining you were slow! I think you're one of the fastest in or group! Hope your run was good!

Thanks, Cheryl. I so appreciate your encouragement and the fact that you respond to everyone who posts in these threads. I'm sending you some mental chocolate chip cookies.:)

I've picked up my pace lately, and I feel good about that. Still, whenever I do a race, I inevitably run (not literally:tongue_smilie:) into semi-regular runners who have no trouble doing a 10K at an 8 minute pace ~ or better. And why should that matter to me? It shouldn't, of course. We're all unique, we have unique talents and abilities, yada yada yada. I am not a natural runner and I have to work hard at this. Period.

But then I have conversations like one that took place today. At a lunch meeting today, an older woman was asking me about my interest in running. She mentioned that her daughter-in-law is a runner. "She's just like you," she said. "She only got back into it recently; she's not one of these lifelong runners. Just average."

She then proceeds to tell me how the dil just ran the Portland Marathon last month and had a qualifying time for Boston. "I guess that's good," says the mother-in-law. Um, yeah. That's good. I'd be Pretty Darn Happy to finish a marathon in 3:45 ~ or an hour more than that, for that matter. Turns out this "average" runner ~ who, incidentally, has four young children and a career (so I can't pretend her life is any less busy than mine) ~ turns out a 7:30 pace in 10K races and such.

Good grief, Charlie Brown!

When I ran a 12K with my brother last year, we were surprised to discover, upon registering, that our predicted 9 min/mile pace put us in the "red wave" (read: slowest group). Am I insane? I know all manner of folks who would be thrilled to run at that pace, but apparently they aren't entering races, or race organizers are out of touch with the true average runners of the world or something.

Okay. Breathe in. Breathe out. I am only responsible for myself. I know that. Just had to get that out of my system.;)

Edited by Colleen

Hi Jennifer in MI,

DH brought home a Garmin Forerunner 205. My sweet running friend told me a GF 205 is like making and maintaining a new friendship: time and attention is in order, hence the name.

I've had this thing for 2 months now, but I'm not the brightest cat on the block when it comes to technology and I'm almost too scared to try and make it work.

I'll keep you posted if and when I take the plunge and try to figure it out.

Came back to this msg to answer your other Q about how I've been losing the weight:

A few months ago, the running g-friend mentionned above told me about candida, detoxifying recipes, alkaline-acidic bodies . . . she's really engaged with a natural lifestyle. I've been eating no white (bread, rice etc), no sugar (with the exception of a 100 cal chocolate bar when I'm about to die for something sweet), no dairy. I absolutely thought this woman was crazy when she told me about her way of eating. I can't dispute the evidence, however, which is weight falling off my body, cravings greatly diminished, energy to run in. the. morning. (before hub leaves for work, which is unheard of in my world), afternoon nap gone . . . the turn-around has been dramatic and more than enough to keep me interested in pressing onward in weight loss. I rarely feel hungry. Chickpeas and lentils have become my best friends. Squash soup is my favourite comfort food.

I have a long ways to go . . . dh is involved with a Healthy Workplace initiative. A few months ago, they gave all the employees a measuring tape and told them to measure 2.5 cm's below their navel . . . if the waistline measurement was more than 31" for women or 41" for men, they were at risk for many more health problems. Sadly, my waist is (eeeeeeeeeeeeek) 41" so I'm very entrenched in the not very healthy category. The diet seems extreme, but I've not found any other method of eating which has melted fat like this.

T

T

Edited by Sweetpeach

She then proceeds to tell me how the dil just ran the Portland Marathon last month and had a qualifying time for Boston. "I guess that's good," says the mother-in-law. Um, yeah. That's good. I'd be Pretty Darn Happy to finish a marathon in 3:45 ~ or an hour more than that, for that matter. Turns out this "average" runner ~ who, incidentally, has four young children and a career (so I can't pretend her life is any less busy than mine) ~ turns out a 7:30 pace in 10K races and such.

I know what you mean. I asked a friend yesterday how her dh did in a local marathon. He was happy with his race - his first marathon and he came within 10 minutes of qualifying for Boston for his age group. So now he's going to try a flat race and see if he can get his time down. :glare:

Colder today. I can't believe it. Here we are in November and we had snow in the forecast for today. A light dusting at most but still, this is the south! It will be interesting to go to the grocery later and see if there is any bread left on the shelf!

Dog is fine today and went with me. I think he likes the cold! It makes sense though, the rescue we got him from said he's part husky!

35 degrees, fleece top, capri pants, ear flap hat - hot after 2 miles.

3.01 miles, 30:31 minutes, 10:06 pace, 348 calories

Today I did the Firm's Hard Core Fusion workout. 45 min total

I tweaked my diet quite a bit in addition to adding running and weights and guess what......I lost 2 lbs this week!:hurray:

I've been semi-veg for years but am trying to implement a completely plant based diet. This week I eliminate all obvious sources of animal products. I should cause a stir next week at Thanksgiving. :lol:

Today I did the Firm's Hard Core Fusion workout. 45 min total

I tweaked my diet quite a bit in addition to adding running and weights and guess what......I lost 2 lbs this week!:hurray:

I've been semi-veg for years but am trying to implement a completely plant based diet. This week I eliminate all obvious sources of animal products. I should cause a stir next week at Thanksgiving. :lol:

Great job on the firm tape and especially the weight loss. Yeah, the all plant based will cause a stir! Hope everything goes well.

I did my 30 minutes on the bike in the dark corner of my closet with the fan blowing on me.

Doesn't compare to a run/walk, but it feels great to get it done.

And, yes, I DID get out for my walk last evening. It is beautifully warm and dry here this week, so it was lovely.

Tonight, I plan to do my pilates workout while I watch bad TV in the playroom.

msjones

I did my 30 minutes on the bike in the dark corner of my closet with the fan blowing on me.

Doesn't compare to a run/walk, but it feels great to get it done.

And, yes, I DID get out for my walk last evening. It is beautifully warm and dry here this week, so it was lovely.

Tonight, I plan to do my pilates workout while I watch bad TV in the playroom.

msjones

There are days that I would love to have a bike in a dark corner with a fan! It does compare! Great job doing your ride! Great job getting out last night too!

and did my full pilates routine.

My total time logged for running this week is 55 minutes.

Today, I tried to run faster, to do a bit of speed work. I was only able to maintain the speed for a half a mile. I had to walk the rest (though I walked as fast as I normally run.)

Tomorrow is a full run day.

Good job Kim!

I've been so busy today I've not had time to read through all these. I'll get right on that!

I went out this morning - the wind chill was 12 degrees!! The wind coming off the lake was harsh! But, I got in 4 miles. I'm surprised how little clothing I actually needed. I was wearing my 2 pair of bottoms, a long-sleeved shirt and my sweatshirt. I had an ear covering and a neck gator to cover my nose!! I took my mittens off by the end of my block.

I came back in and did my abs workout.

This afternoon I finished Week 4 in Couch to 5K, jogging in the coldest weather we've had this season! The wind chill was in the 30s when I left, and I was bundled. By the end of my jog, I had to remove my mittens.

I just took a peek at Week 5 and I see that a week from today, I will be jogging 20 minutes in a row without stopping. I am trying not to panic. I remember this time last week I was panicking about jogging 5 minutes in a row and I managed to survive that (with lots of encouragement from y'all!).

I have a week until the deadline for the 5K I want to attempt in December. I guess I'll make up my mind after next week's 20 minute jog! :)

Thanks for keeping this weekly thread going. It gives me some extra accountability, and I really appreciate the pep talks from the experienced runners!

I've been so busy today I've not had time to read through all these. I'll get right on that!

I went out this morning - the wind chill was 12 degrees!! The wind coming off the lake was harsh! But, I got in 4 miles. I'm surprised how little clothing I actually needed. I was wearing my 2 pair of bottoms, a long-sleeved shirt and my sweatshirt. I had an ear covering and a neck gator to cover my nose!! I took my mittens off by the end of my block.

I came back in and did my abs workout.

I agree, it is amazing how little I need to run in! Great job in the cold and wind!

This afternoon I finished Week 4 in Couch to 5K, jogging in the coldest weather we've had this season! The wind chill was in the 30s when I left, and I was bundled. By the end of my jog, I had to remove my mittens.

I just took a peek at Week 5 and I see that a week from today, I will be jogging 20 minutes in a row without stopping. I am trying not to panic. I remember this time last week I was panicking about jogging 5 minutes in a row and I managed to survive that (with lots of encouragement from y'all!).

I have a week until the deadline for the 5K I want to attempt in December. I guess I'll make up my mind after next week's 20 minute jog! :)

Thanks for keeping this weekly thread going. It gives me some extra accountability, and I really appreciate the pep talks from the experienced runners!

You are doing great! That 5K is going to be a cake walk!

DH and I got up and went swimming this morning. The pool was cool. DH and I had to share a lane for most of the swim. Then I had a lane without a ledge so I had an extra foot to try and hoist myself out of the pool. After swimming 3/4 mile, my arms were not working. The pool was too deep to kick off the bottom. AND dh just stood there while I struggled to get out of the pool!

I forgot to stop my watch but based on dh's time, we think I swam 3/4 mile in 31 minutes. First lap was freestyle, most was breaststroke. There were 8 or 9 lengths of freestyle.

DH and I got up and went swimming this morning. The pool was cool. DH and I had to share a lane for most of the swim. Then I had a lane without a ledge so I had an extra foot to try and hoist myself out of the pool. After swimming 3/4 mile, my arms were not working. The pool was too deep to kick off the bottom. AND dh just stood there while I struggled to get out of the pool!

I forgot to stop my watch but based on dh's time, we think I swam 3/4 mile in 31 minutes. First lap was freestyle, most was breaststroke. There were 8 or 9 lengths of freestyle.

Great job!!! We have a pool that we could use, but it's about 15 minutes from here. By the time I get there and back, I could've finished most of my run! So, it's hard for me to justify going there. But, when it's this cold, I may decide to do it anyway.

Got up and ran 3.25 miles this morning. It's SOOOOOO cold here. It's hard jumping over the ice! It's a good thing I like running, 'cause I don't think I'd continue if I didn't!! Did the abs workout too.

Great job!!! We have a pool that we could use, but it's about 15 minutes from here. By the time I get there and back, I could've finished most of my run! So, it's hard for me to justify going there. But, when it's this cold, I may decide to do it anyway.

Got up and ran 3.25 miles this morning. It's SOOOOOO cold here. It's hard jumping over the ice! It's a good thing I like running, 'cause I don't think I'd continue if I didn't!! Did the abs workout too.

I go to the pool cause I "need" to crosstrain. And it's a whole lot warmer than riding my bike in 28 degrees!

Great job running in the cold! Jumping over ice- I'm so not there yet!

I managed to get in 5 miles on Tuesday but again, the dark put an end to my run. My dh has arranged his life such that I can not run in the mornings, and that's getting problematic for me. I mean, I do prefer running later in the day, but it just doesn't work at this time of year. I can't get out there until after 4 pm or so, and an hour later it's dark.

Now, today, it's the wind that's the trouble. We get serious northeast winds here and it can make running next-to-impossible. When I have to struggle to keep my Suburban on the road, I know running will be tough.:tongue_smilie: So, we'll see...

Did the 30 minutes on the bike again this morning. I also managed to fit in the pilates routine last night while I watched tv.

I used to do the pilates more often, then we moved the tv to the rec (wreck)room. It is so unpleasant in there that I'd rather not enter at all, let alone go in there to exercise! So, I just Netflix and plan to watch the videos on my laptop while I do my bike or pilates routine.

We'll see how that goes. (Persuasion is due to arrive in the mail today...)The problem I have with indoor exercise is the boredom.

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. I thought of y'all as I dragged out of bed this morning.

Did the 30 minutes on the bike again this morning. I also managed to fit in the pilates routine last night while I watched tv.

I used to do the pilates more often, then we moved the tv to the rec (wreck)room. It is so unpleasant in there that I'd rather not enter at all, let alone go in there to exercise! So, I just Netflix and plan to watch the videos on my laptop while I do my bike or pilates routine.

We'll see how that goes. (Persuasion is due to arrive in the mail today...)The problem I have with indoor exercise is the boredom.

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. I thought of y'all as I dragged out of bed this morning.

You're getting it done!