Menu

Book a Week 2018 - BW37: Bookish News and Birthdays

Robin M

Happy Sunday and welcome to week thirty-seven  in our Open Roads Reading Adventure. Greetings to all our readers and everyone following our progress. Mister Linky is available weekly on 52 Books in 52 Weeks  to share a link to your book reviews.

Time for another round of Book News from the Sahara Desert region and Bookish Birthdays from around the world 

Book News

Poetry Soup, and other North African Creatives to Watch

The Book of North African Literature: Pierre Joris on Poetry and Miscegenation

The four best African cookbooks that will have you cooking like a pro

From Tradition to Destruction: The Lost Libraries of Chinguetti

Best Books to read about Egypt before you go

Literature Unchained: The Literary Scene in Tunisia Post-2011

Countries and their cultures - Mauritanians

Author Birthdays from around the world

Sept 9:  Father of modern Hindi literature - Bharatendu Harishchandra

Sept 10:  African American Poet and Harlem Renaissance writer - Georgia Douglas Johnson and American poet  - Hilda Doolittle

Sept 11:  Scottish Poet - James Thomson 

Sept 12: Polish science fiction author - Stanislaw Lem 

Sept 13: British author - J.B. Priestley 

Sept 14: Irish author - Bernard MacLaverty

Sept 15: American writer - Tomie dePaola 

Brit Tripping

Our Brit Trip on Akeman Street is taking us to Somerset this week. 

Somerset County is famous among Regency enthusiasts as the location of Bath and was a fashionable place to take the waters. It also has a vast Roman history and Arthurian link.

Rabbit trails:  The Circus  More on The Circus  Glastonbury Abbey  Tarr Steps

Kristin Lavransdatter Readalong

Book One -The Wreath.
Part II The Wreath: Chapters 1 to  8 (92 pages)

Have fun exploring! 

What are you reading this week?

Link to Week 36

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Finished Leverage in Death which was awesome. Dove into Midnight Curse (Thanks Mum).   Started Kristin Lavransdatter and read the first part of The Wreath.  Love the writing, being immersed in the history and culture of the times, getting to know Kristin and the family. 

• Like 6

I read The Girl with Seven Names - 5 Stars - This is the third book that I’ve read about North Korea. My favorite is still “Nothing to Envy” by Barbara Demick, and one that I highly recommend. “The Girl with Seven Names” is a close second. I could barely put this book down. It’s beautifully written, so moving, the type of book that you can’t stop thinking about. 

Some quotes that I thought are worth sharing:
“Kindness toward strangers is rare in North Korea. There is risk in helping others. The irony was that by forcing us to be good citizens, the state made accusers and informers of us all.”

“It is mandatory from elementary school to attend public executions. Often classes would be cancelled so students could go.” 

“Sadly, as the historian Andrei Lankov put it, a regime that’s willing to kill as many people as it takes to stay in power tends to stay in power for a very long time.”

“Kind people who put others before themselves would be the first to die. It was the ruthless and the selfish who would survive.”

“Dictatorships may seem strong and unified, but they are always weaker than they appear.”

9780007554850.jpg

MY RATING SYSTEM
5 Stars
Fantastic, couldn't put it down
4 Stars
Really Good
3 Stars
Enjoyable 
2 Stars
Just Okay – nothing to write home about
1 Star
Rubbish – waste of my money and time. Few books make it to this level, since I usually give up on them if they’re that bad. 

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

After seeing Mothersweet's  recommendation:

On 8/22/2018 at 4:33 PM, Mothersweets said:

... the author also illustrated another very good biography about Roget, of thesaurus fame: The Right Word: Roget and His Thesaurus by Jen Bryant and Melissa Sweet   

I borrowed the above book from the library.  It was a good book that had wonderful illustrations; I'd recommend it for children about eight and up.  Here's the blurb:

"2015 Caldecott Honor Book

2015 Sibert Medal Winner

For shy young Peter Mark Roget, books were the best companions -- and it wasn’t long before Peter began writing his own book. But he didn’t write stories; he wrote lists. Peter took his love for words and turned it to organizing ideas and finding exactly the right word to express just what he thought. His lists grew and grew, eventually turning into one of the most important reference books of all time.

Readers of all ages will marvel at Roget’s life, depicted through lyrical text and brilliantly detailed illustrations. This elegant book celebrates the joy of learning and the power of words."

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

For Brit Tripping we are rolling into Bath and there are so many great books set in Bath.  I adore the portions of Northanger Abbey which are set in Bath.  Peter Lovesey also writes an enjoyable detective series that has at least some of the books set in Bath....The Last Detective the first Peter Diamond mystery definately is set in Bath.  This is a series I plan to return to soon.  I read a great book set in Glastonbury earlier this year which will be my official Somerset book (Grave Goods by Arianna Franklin) but plan to check out Lauren Willig’s The Mischief of the Mistletoe which is the 7th in the Pink Carnation series which is supposed to have a setting in Bath and Jane Austen as a character.  I have been waiting all year to arrive in Bath and read this bit of Flufferton. ?

I am currently listening to Exposed in Darkness by Heather Sunseri which is a BaW recommendation but no idea who made it!  So far it’s enjoyable.  I have several in my Mercyverse series on hold so will be listening to those as soon as possible.  

I made an exciting discovery earlier today, my library has several of the Rivers of London series in audiobook format.  I checked out the first and hope to do a reread of the series in honor of the Brit Trip visit to Spooky London in October!

i am reading and enjoying Kristin Lavransdatter and hope to be caught up later tonight.  I have the old version and am having no problems with the translation in case anyone is hesitating due to availability.

• Like 7

One of my favorite series last year was a science fiction trilogy by author (a pair of Australian sisters) S. K. Dunstall, so I'd been eagerly anticipating their new book which I just finished.  Now I get to look forward to the next book.  This book is set in a totally different universe from that of the first trilogy, but it is equally intriguing.

Stars Uncharted  by S. K. Dunstall

"In this rip-roaring space opera, a ragtag band of explorers are out to make the biggest score in the galaxy.

On this space jump, no one is who they seem . . .

Captain Hammond Roystan is a simple cargo runner who has stumbled across the find of a lifetime: the Hassim, a disabled exploration ship--and its valuable record of unexplored worlds.

His junior engineer, Josune Arriola, said her last assignment was in the uncharted rim. But she is decked out in high-level bioware that belies her humble backstory.

A renowned body-modification artist, Nika Rik Terri has run afoul of clients who will not take no for an answer. She has to flee off-world, and she is dragging along a rookie modder, who seems all too experienced in weapons and war . . .

Together this mismatched crew will end up on one ship, hurtling through the lawless reaches of deep space with Roystan at the helm. Trailed by nefarious company men, they will race to find the most famous lost world of all--and riches beyond their wildest dreams . . ."

I also recently finished  Fields of Gold (Tarnished Souls Book 2)  by Dev Bentham which I found a pleasant read.  (Adult content)

"Politics has always been a dirty business. Avi knows all about that—after all, not only has he been studying historical compromises and intrigues, he has been sleeping with his very own corrupt politician. The affair used to be about love, but lately Avi’s going through the motions, waiting for the day when he completes his dissertation and finds a job far, far away.

Waiting for that day to come, he has put his life on hold and gets jolted awake when he meets Pete, a tall blond farmer who charms Avi with his dazzling smile and his straightforward life. Except Avi knows that even an organic farmer can have an agenda and if something is too good to be true, it is time to get suspicious. Is this just another nightmare or can Avi leave his doubts behind, learn to trust and find a life in the sun?"

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 6

Hello everyone! I'm glad to hear everyone is enjoying Kristin Lavransdatter. I've noticed new things in the section I read this time around. I love when that happens - it's always a sure sign of a good book. 

A Quiet Life in the Country by T. E. Kinsey - not sure if I added this last week or not. As it is, I can't remember finishing it and can't remember what happened. I do know that I liked it well enough. I should probably try to get more sleep, haha.

A Winter's Love by Madeleine L'Engle - Started out enjoying this one but it just didn't go anywhere and I found the characters not very likable. 

Anna and Her Daughters by D. E. Stevenson - I really liked this!! Finally! A D.E. Stevenson novel that I liked, haha! A big thank you to to Faith for recommending it. 

• Like 8

8 minutes ago, Kareni said:

Not particularly bookish but intriguing nonetheless ~

From the Word Wenches site: 

The Egg-cup Conundrum

From the SBTB site:

Regards,
Kareni

Egg cups ......we have developed quite a collection over the years from charity shops.  Not because we eat soft boiled eggs but because the Horticultural Show had a kids category for years titled “flower arrangement in an egg cup”.  Since they are tiny a really clever egg cup is part of the arrangement.  It took awhile for me to grasp that because I could buy Wedgewood single cups for a pound so buying silly ones seemed silly!

• Like 5

1 hour ago, mumto2 said:

the Horticultural Show had a kids category for years titled “flower arrangement in an egg cup”.

That does sound like a fun event ... and certainly one  that one would be unlikely to see in the US.  I'd love to see a picture of entries if you ever attend.

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 4

I was served an egg in an egg cup once...I was horrified to crack the shell and find the uncooked yolk inside. I was expecting a hard boiled egg! Don't know why a runny yolk in a fried egg is ok but in the boiled egg it's yuck. 

I'm finding Kristin Lavransdatter a binge worthy listen. It is the more recent translation, and I find the prose so beautiful, and the story so engrossing that I quickly forget that the narrator's voice is rather bland. It really gets going by the end of the section we started with, and I'm now several chapters ahead!

I'm also reading The Garden of Evening Mists by the Malaysian author Tan Twan Eng. It is beautiful, evocative writing, though can get a little intense when the characters start reliving some of the atrocities of the Japanese occupation during WWII. 

I read the 5th Sebastian St Cyr book from start to finish last week while hanging out at the courthouse for jury duty. I didn't get called to a courtroom and was excused by 3:30 so I'm done for another year or so. And, I also read the newest Shetland mystery, which the author says will be the last. I didn't want any spoilers so download it the day it came out and read it that night. No spoilers from me -- it was another good mystery.

• Like 8

Finished 3 books this week:

87, The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet by Becky Chambers (ebook) - Reading this series all out of order!  I ended up finding this one even a squidge more enjoyable than the second one, that I read first.  A lot of people seem to feel the other way round, and I wonder a bit if it's because I was already familiar with this universe and was able to just sink into the story.  Anyway, a fun and enjoyable read.  I think I would like to get to the third in the series at some point, even if it's not right away and it seems to be most people's least favorite....   4 stars for this one.

88. The Penelopiad by Margaret Atwood (ebook) - I ended up choosing this one for Feminist Author, and it was interesting to read it so soon after Circe.  I did enjoy this one, and read it in a day - but Circe (where Penelope also puts in a strong appearance) was so much richer.  4 stars.

89. Der letzte Zug nach Istanbul / The Last Train to Istanbul by Ayşe Kulin - for Amira's book group.  I think I already talked about the translation issues and the fortunate lack of choppiness in the German.   I did find it an interesting read; I knew (and really still know) very little about Turkey's involvement - well, in either World War really.  I always enjoy learning more about pieces of history I knew nothing (or hardly anything) about. 3.5 stars.

Currently reading: 

- The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck (audiobook) - ended up sticking with this, partly because I couldn't figure out what other audio to listen to that didn't have a wait list.  Fortunately, I am liking it much more as it goes along.

- The Mapmaker's War by Ronlyn Domingue - I took a bunch of books out for the Cartography square, and this is what I ended up with.  Still not sure if I made the right choice, but I'm halfway done now.  It's enjoyable enough, but it's not really grabbing me either.

- The Geography of Bliss by Eric Weiner (ebook) - This is a fun read, which I guess is good for a book on happiness.

- The Wreath (Kristin Lavransdatter #1) - For the readalong of course.  I'm not quite caught up with the first part of this first volume, but almost - and I am quite enjoying this one (wanting more words for 'enjoy' again!!).  I took out both this and the big honking compiled volume and ended up deciding on one book at a time - easier to take along with me, and easier to read the notes at the end.

• Like 8

11 hours ago, Faithr said:

I read The Murder at the Vicarage by Agatha Christie.  I had been reading Hercule Poirot mysteries, but he started to get on my nerves.  So I turned to Miss Marple.  A lovely, entertaining diversion for a stressful week.  

I just listened to Murder at the Vicarage a couple of weeks ago and loved it.  I have been meandering my way through Agatha Christie in order from Robin’s list on 52 books.  For the most part I am really enjoying myself on the reread.

10 hours ago, Kareni said:

That does sound like a fun event ... and certainly one  that one would be unlikely to see in the US.  I'd love to see a picture of entries if you ever attend.

Regards,
Kareni

Someplace we have pictures.  If I ever find them I will post them.

8 hours ago, JennW in SoCal said:

I was served an egg in an egg cup once...I was horrified to crack the shell and find the uncooked yolk inside. I was expecting a hard boiled egg! Don't know why a runny yolk in a fried egg is ok but in the boiled egg it's yuck. 

I'm finding Kristin Lavransdatter a binge worthy listen. It is the more recent translation, and I find the prose so beautiful, and the story so engrossing that I quickly forget that the narrator's voice is rather bland. It really gets going by the end of the section we started with, and I'm now several chapters ahead!

I'm also reading The Garden of Evening Mists by the Malaysian author Tan Twan Eng. It is beautiful, evocative writing, though can get a little intense when the characters start reliving some of the atrocities of the Japanese occupation during WWII. 

I read the 5th Sebastian St Cyr book from start to finish last week while hanging out at the courthouse for jury duty. I didn't get called to a courtroom and was excused by 3:30 so I'm done for another year or so. And, I also read the newest Shetland mystery, which the author says will be the last. I didn't want any spoilers so download it the day it came out and read it that night. No spoilers from me -- it was another good mystery.

Lol, about reading the Shetland book the day it was released.  I need to get back to Vera......Another cultural egg funny,  we went to a huge rather posh breakfast buffet in France several years ago with friends who had lived in France and were totally fluent.  The wife and I were wandering through the stations which mystified me to some degree.  She stopped and grabbed an egg in the shell out of a basket......I was collecting fruit and pastries.  When we got back to the table she very professionally hit her egg with her spoon and opened raw egg all over her lovely pastries.  Huge accident, they had no idea what the raw eggs were for or why there was a basket of them. Others took them.....she expected soft boiled btw.

• Like 5

Question for those who've read/listened to Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet.  I've been intrigued for a while but for some reason am nervous about attempting this book!  (I can develop mental blocks about ANYTHING.  It is one of my super powers!).  This school year, or at least this semester, I'm going to be doing a ton of driving on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.  I want a nice long, chunky book to keep me company.  Is this book good?  Is the audible version worth the cost?  Thanks!!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Faithr said:

Question for those who've read/listened to Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follet.  I've been intrigued for a while but for some reason am nervous about attempting this book!  (I can develop mental blocks about ANYTHING.  It is one of my super powers!).  This school year, or at least this semester, I'm going to be doing a ton of driving on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.  I want a nice long, chunky book to keep me company.  Is this book good?  Is the audible version worth the cost?  Thanks!!!

I have read all three in the series and liked the first two the best.  The books were recommended to me by a lovely gentleman were was a docent at a church we were touring, he thought they would be a perfect way for my dc’s to learn how Cathedrals were built ...very enthusiastic about home ed, maybe my oldest was 12 at the time.  Fortunately I preread because there is a particularly vicious r*pe that reverberates throughout the entire first book which I never would have wanted my kids to read.  But for me I felt the book including that scene was historically accurate for the Middle Ages and was able to keep reading without difficulty.  The r*pest is the villain of the book and he is just awful.  Easy to hate him!  I know of people who hugely dislike Pillars because of that scene.  The tv show was hugely violent, at least the first few minutes.? 

I just reread what I wrote and want to say I actually really liked Pillars but I did feel that I needed to warn you.

• Like 7

Homeschooling is really putting a crimp in my reading lately. Last week I read St. Augustine's The Confessions for the third time so I could discuss it with Middle Girl: historical, literary, theological, philosophical, and hagiographical aspects. Once more with Wee Girl, in five or six years, and I think I will be all done. This time at least I had the sense to make up a crib sheet for myself which I will tuck inside the cover when we're done.

For myself, I read George Eliot's The Mill on the Floss, which I know for a fact I read in college but remembered absolutely nothing of, except that there was an important section called "The Red Deeps," the obvious Freudian significance of which our professor belabored. So much for Lincolnshire and the Fosse Way.

On to Akeman Street, which the BritTrip bus is apparently just leaving, with The Adventures of David Simple, the first novel of Sarah Fielding, sister to the more famous Henry. Now that could be a bingo square: authors overshadowed by more famous relatives. Poet laureate C. Day Lewis could make that list; Dorothy Wordsworth and her journals; who else? Do we dare suggest P. B. Shelley?

(How happily I would join in with the Kristin L. read-along, if only there were some prospect for adequate time; but it's back to Book a Week for me.)

Lunch break over; back to the salt mines.

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Negin said:

I love egg cups!

Me too, though I don't have a developed collection like @mumto2... and our family uses them to eat soft boiled eggs with toast 'soldiers'.

(Fun article @Kareni

@Negin The Girl with Seven Names, how graphic is the hardship/violence/rape (?) detailed in this book? 

Edited by tuesdayschild
  • Like 5

After reading Stars Uncharted  by S. K. Dunstall, I was inspired to go back and re-read the authors' (S.K. Dunstall is actually two sisters) earlier trilogy.  I enjoyed re-reading

Linesman (A Linesman Novel)

Alliance (A Linesman Novel)

Confluence (A Linesman Novel)

Fans of Patricia Briggs might be interested to know that these books have her recommendation: “S.K. Dunstall’s new series is fascinating and fun: rich with that sense of wonder that makes SF delightful.” —Patricia Briggs. 

Here's the description for Linesman.  Note, these books should definitely be read in order.

"The lines. No ship can traverse the void without them. Only linesmen can work with them. But only Ean Lambert hears their song. And everyone thinks he’s crazy…

Most slum kids never go far, certainly not becoming a level-ten linesman like Ean. Even if he’s part of a small, and unethical, cartel, and the other linesmen disdain his self-taught methods, he’s certified and working.

Then a mysterious alien ship is discovered at the edges of the galaxy. Each of the major galactic powers is desperate to be the first to uncover the ship’s secrets, but all they’ve learned is that it has the familiar lines of energy—and a defense system that, once triggered, annihilates everything in a 200 kilometer radius.

The vessel threatens any linesman who dares to approach it, except Ean. His unique talents may be the key to understanding this alarming new force—and reconfiguring the relationship between humans and the ships that serve them, forever."

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, Kareni said:

After reading Stars Uncharted  by S. K. Dunstall, I was inspired to go back and re-read the authors' (S.K. Dunstall is actually two sisters) earlier trilogy.  I enjoyed re-reading

Linesman (A Linesman Novel)

Alliance (A Linesman Novel)

Confluence (A Linesman Novel)

Fans of Patricia Briggs might be interested to know that these books have her recommendation: “S.K. Dunstall’s new series is fascinating and fun: rich with that sense of wonder that makes SF delightful.” —Patricia Briggs. 

Here's the description for Linesman.  Note, these books should definitely be read in order.

"The lines. No ship can traverse the void without them. Only linesmen can work with them. But only Ean Lambert hears their song. And everyone thinks he’s crazy…

Most slum kids never go far, certainly not becoming a level-ten linesman like Ean. Even if he’s part of a small, and unethical, cartel, and the other linesmen disdain his self-taught methods, he’s certified and working.

Then a mysterious alien ship is discovered at the edges of the galaxy. Each of the major galactic powers is desperate to be the first to uncover the ship’s secrets, but all they’ve learned is that it has the familiar lines of energy—and a defense system that, once triggered, annihilates everything in a 200 kilometer radius.

The vessel threatens any linesman who dares to approach it, except Ean. His unique talents may be the key to understanding this alarming new force—and reconfiguring the relationship between humans and the ships that serve them, forever."

Regards,
Kareni

My Overdrive does have these and I did put them on my wish list and am looking forward to them but probably in 2019!  They probably need to wait until I finish my Mercyverse and Ben Aaronovitch (Rivers of London) rereads because I still need the finish Bingo and my A to Z challenges along with Brit Trip.  Can not believe I am knocking books into 2019 in September but this looks like a back to back type series.....

Before I forget I finished my Set on an Island for Bingo and don’t think I mentioned it here.  It was #13 in a series that I bump into frequently but have never read a single one of,  Aaron Elkin’s Unnatual Selection. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/91844.Unnatural_Selection The setting was fairly unique and worked for Brit Tripping too,  the Isles of Scilly off the coast of Cornwall.  I loved the setting and really want to go!  https://www.visitcornwall.com/places/isles-of-scilly  This was the thirteenth book in the series and not too bad, I suspect earlier ones are probably quite good.  I think most are set in the Seattle area but really don’t know.  I would read more because the “detective” is a forensic anthropologist and I like that type of cozy hugely but not right now!

I also finished the latest Faye Kellerman and really enjoyed it. ? 

• Like 5

Hi, we finished Spy Camp (read-aloud) and I tried to start a more classic book, but my kids objected.  They demanded the next Spy School novel, so now we are on Evil Spy School.  ?

Our audiobook in the car - we finished A Little Princess and are listening to The Secret Garden.  Not sure what is next.  I think my mom gave me some new ones, but I don't know where I put them.  Possibly I forgot and left them there.  ?

I am almost done with Miss Manners' book on perfect children.  Next up, I have a couple options but I might want to go back through the Miss Manners book and make a plan for my kids.  (The other options are also books about raising kids.)  I do have some literature waiting, but I don't feel like starting that yet.

Edited by SKL
  • Like 7

27 minutes ago, Mothersweets said:

SKL, you're smart to listen to The Secret Garden - I read it aloud to my kids and it just about did me in! The accent was super hard for me so I just ended up reading it normally and telling my girls to imagine a Yorkshire accent, lol.

Even my kids would have to imagine the accent!  ?

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Again choosing books for homeschooling needs, I just read Richard Brinsley Sheridan's 1775 play The Rivals, featuring Mrs. Malaprop, which character gave her name to a form of lexical error. Conveniently for this week's BritTrip, the play is set in Bath.

But Georgian literature needs a rest now, as do lengthy novels, and I can't quite bring myself to read 500 pages of Sarah Fielding for the sake of Week 34's London. So instead, journalist Henry Mayhew's 1849-50 series of articles comprehensively detailing the lives of the London poor, now an invaluable resource for understanding the real lives of the impoverished class in London. It was collected into four volumes as London Labour and the London Poor; I'll be reading the Penguin 500-page abridgement.

Edited by Violet Crown
typos, typos, typos
  • Like 6

Last night I stayed up late reading a mystery which I enjoyed.  It's the first in a series, and I plan to continue on.  Fortunately, the next books are already in print.

Idyll Threats: A Thomas Lynch Novel  by Stephanie Gayle

"In the summer of 1997, Thomas Lynch arrives as the new chief of police in Idyll, Connecticut—a town where serious crimes can be counted on one hand. So no one is prepared when Cecilia North is found murdered on a golf course. By chance, Chief Lynch met her mere hours before she was killed. With that lead, the case should be a slam dunk. But there’s a problem. If Lynch tells his detectives about meeting the victim, he’ll reveal his greatest secret—he’s gay. 

So Lynch works angles of the case on his own. Meanwhile, he must contend with pressure from the mayor to solve the crime before the town’s biggest tourist event begins, all while coping with the suspicions of his men, casual homophobia, and difficult memories of his former NYPD partner’s recent death.

As the case unfolds, Lynch realizes that small-town Idyll isn’t safe, especially for a man with secrets that threaten the thing he loves most—his job."

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 4

Currently free for Kindle readers ~ 

Frostbite (Modern Knights Book 1)  by Joshua Bader

“An extremely impressive first novel of delicious urban fantasy with just a hint of romance. This fantastical thrill ride is filled with perfectly timed pop-culture references, stunning plot twists, and the snarky (and sometimes offensive) stylings of Colin’s inner voice. Well-researched and creatively presented humor and action perfectly blend with moral quandaries in this outstanding debut.” - PUBLISHER'S WEEKLY ★★★★★

Land of Hidden Fires  by Kirk Kjeldsen

"Kjeldsen tells a small-scale tale about Norwegian resistance to the Nazis in this work that should appeal to historical thriller fans... His descriptive prose does a fine job of conveying the breathtaking scenery of the wintry Norwegian mountains." - - Publishers Weekly

"Pilgrim's Progress meets Tom Clancy." - Kirkus Reviews

On the Accidental Wings of Dragons   by Julie Wetzel

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I am not quite caught up with Kristin Lavransdatter but expect to be by the new thread tomorrow.  Lots of time in the car tomorrow.  I may have missed the why explained in the book but I have looked over the section pretty well .......I am trying to figure out the treatment of Kristin by her parents when her sister is injured?  Is Kristin her mother’s step daughter?  That’s the only explanation I can think of.  It’s so odd....  I have moved beyond those scenes but am still puzzled......Maybe I do need the new translation. ? 

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, mumto2 said:

I am not quite caught up with Kristin Lavransdatter but expect to be by the new thread tomorrow.  Lots of time in the car tomorrow.  I may have missed the why explained in the book but I have looked over the section pretty well .......I am trying to figure out the treatment of Kristin by her parents when her sister is injured?  Is Kristin her mother’s step daughter?  That’s the only explanation I can think of.  It’s so odd....  I have moved beyond those scenes but am still puzzled......Maybe I do need the new translation. ? 

Kristin is the natural daughter of both Lavrans and Ragnfrid. It think mom may have treated Ulvhild differently because she was more girly and understanding of her  depression.  

Our homeschool bonus year seems to be taking up more time since I'm letting James lead the way in what he wants to learn about.  He's drawn to history and so we've been watching a lot of videos.  He wanted to know more about 9/11 so I picked two shows I thought would be the most informative. So we watched President Bush's memories of the day (which turned out to be quite emotional) plus an forensics show on the engineering of the building. We are reading King Alfred's English which lead into a discussion of the Roman roads and our Brit trip.  Plus The Boy in the Striped Pajamas. The guys and I watched Der untergang, a dramatization of Hitler's last days in the bunker, last night.    Not a lot of personal reading getting done. 

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 4