Menu

Help me save this rusty DIY

Teaching3bears

I found an old rusty wire chair that was used outside.  It has some bad rust spots on the top and the arms.  I thought that it would look really nice for DS's desk if I painted it blue.  I was told to sand the rust til it is not bumpy and use 2-3 coats of Rustoleum Tremclad spray-ain't.  I sanded and did coat#1.  The color looks great but the rust spots are still there as big patches of rusty brown.  I doubt more coats will make a difference.  The people at Rustoleum told me of a product I could use to apply to the rust spots before repainting.  I don't want to spend money on another product because the chair might not work out anyways and my son might not like it.  This is partly a project for me to try out using spray paint.  I plan to wipe the rusty patches with vinegar, sand and try again.  Somehow I don't think it will work.  I don't think there is really a way to soak the rusty spots in vinegar.  

The people at Rustoleum said it would not work to apply a wall primer to the rust before painting.  What if I put masking tape over the rust before spray painting, or a paper label sticker?  I know there would be a line but it would look better than rust.

Any kind of sticker will likely curl or disintegrate with the paint.  If you want to seal the rust, you will need a product designed for rust.   Anything else may cover it but the rust color will work its way through the paint. 

• Like 1

So, I noticed that there is a very rusty spot where the blue paint managed to stay because I sprayed thicker.  I am thinking of either putting some white wall primer with a paint brush over the rusty spots before I do additional coats, or just putting about 7 coats on the rusty spots.

Which do you think will work better?  Will the white wall primer make it blobby or uneven?