Menu

Making corn tortillas at home

Chris in VA

My method is simple.   Add a tiny bit of salt to the mass.  Then add warm water to form a stiff dough (but one that sticks together).  Take out pieces about the size of a golf ball and press with the tortilla press between 2 sheets of parchment paper.  Then I cook on a dry hot griddle (high heat) for about 1-2 minutes each side.  To keep them warm I put them in a cheap plastic  tortilla holder with a napkin in the bottom.

They are very tasty but I wish I could get them thinner.  I would love more tips as well.

Instead of plastic wrap, I cut 2 pieces (to fit the top and bottom plates of the press) out of a freezer bag. Because the bag is thicker than flimsy wrap, I find they hold up better and don't stick to the dough. I reuse them--they'll last indefinitely. 

To make thinner tortillas, just make a smaller ball and press down as hard as you can. They can be as thick or thin as you like.

We use the press to make empanadas and hand pies as well. 

• Like 1

I use Bob's Red Mill Masa Harina.  2 cups masa, 1/2 t salt, 1 1/2 cups hot water.  Let rest for an hour, covered, after mixing.  This makes 12 6in tortillas.  Getting the wet/dry just right takes some practice.  I don't always get it right and sometimes it's too sticky.  I'll have to try the freezer bag trick.  I use wax paper.  Freeze any leftovers.

Because there is no oil in these tortillas, I find that they fall apart a little easily, so I tend to use them like an open face sandwich and pile the taco filling on top and eat with a fork.

Edited by Sue in St Pete

20 hours ago, Chris in VA said:

Well, I made my first batch. It makes 19. I threw 3 away because they stuck and I could not get them off the plastic wrap. I only made one that was truly round. 

I ate about 8. Gosh dang it. 

They are very tasty and very filling. 

They don't need to be perfectly round. The imperfection shows they are homemade. Heck, some of the "fancier" tortillas in the stores now are made to look irregular as a selling feature.

One of the great failings in my culinary experience was never being able to master (or even be slightly adequate) at hand patting tortillas. As a kid, I marveled at the ladies who hand patted tortillas in some of the Mexican restaurants here in LA and I even had a few friends whose mothers did the same at home. I figured it couldn't be that hard. Boy, was I wrong.

I gave it sustained effort. Getting more and more determined to develop this skill as I failed miserably. But I finally gave up. Total fail.

Now the skill seems almost lost. I read that even in Mexico that the number of women who can hand pat tortillas is shrinking towards oblivion.

*Sigh*

Anyway, I use a press.

I wonder Chris if you have any markets near you that cater to a Mexican clientele? My local Mexican supermarket has a tortilleria inside that makes very good tortillas, but they also sell fresh masa that IMO is much better than the powdered stuff from a box. Masa freezes pretty well.

Good luck with your tortilla making.

Bill

Thanks, Spy Car! Yes we have lots of places that sell food from around the world. I will check!

cintinative, my press isn't anything special--it doesn't seem to apply the pressure evenly, and it's just a very cheap thing you can pick up just about anywhere. I may try handpatting or rolling. This press seems to make the edge too thin. 

But, all is well--these are tasty and I feel ok in making them!