Menu

Book a Week 2018 - BW34: The First Jasmines

Robin M

Happy Sunday and welcome to week thirty-four in our Open Roads Reading Adventure. Greetings to all our readers and everyone following our progress. Mister Linky is available weekly on 52 Books in 52 Weeks  to share a link to your book reviews.

The First Jasmines

by

Rabindranath Tagore

Ah, these jasmines, these white jasmines!

I seem to remember the first day when I filled my hands with

these jasmines, these white jasmines.

I have loved the sunlight, the sky and the green earth;

I have heard the liquid murmur of the river thorough the

darkness of midnight;

Autumn sunsets have come to me at the bend of a road in the

lonely waste, like a bride raising her veil to accept her lover.

Yet my memory is still sweet with the first white jasmines

that I held in my hands when I was a child.

Many a glad day has come in my life, and I have laughed with

merrymakers on festival nights.

On grey mornings of rain I have crooned many an idle song.

I have worn round my neck the evening wreath of bakulas woven

by the hand of love.

Yet my heart is sweet with the memory of the first fresh

jasmines that filled my hands when I was a child.

Our Brit Trip is taking us to Akemam Street and London. Our fifth leg of the journey brings us back to London again.

Rabbit trails: 48 Doughty Street – Charles DickensBritish Museum British Library

Beginning in September, we will begin our readalong of Sigrid Unset's Kristin Lavransdatter trilogy which includes the novels – The Wreath, The Wife and The CrossI ordered the Penguin Classics Deluxe Edition (thanks Laura). Once I’ve had a chance to review it, will post the reading plan. 

What are you reading this week?

Link to Week 33

• Like 9

I read Left to Tell: Discovering God Amidst the Rwandan Holocaust - 3 Stars - When I first came across this book, I couldn’t make up my mind as to whether I would be able to handle all the pain. I kept picking it up and putting it back on the shelf. After all, it is about the Rwandan genocide and I’m not particularly strong when it comes to these things. I still haven’t been able to watch “Hotel Rwanda” and am not sure if I ever will. The pain and trauma hit a bit too close to home for me. No, I haven’t experienced anything like what this book describes, but I have experienced other events that I would really rather not think about anymore: political instability to the point of great fear in two countries that I’ve lived in, as well as a major hurricane. 

This is one of those books that really got me thinking. Immaculee suffered immensely and her story is truly riveting. Painful, horrific, and still so amazing – this book reminded me of the incredible power of prayer and trusting in God. Although her faith in God is beyond measure, there are a few points that come to my mind that I disagree with. 

First, she equates prayer with positive thinking. I do not believe that they are one and the same. 

Second, although her ability to forgive is incredible, it’s also a bit difficult for me to comprehend. When it comes to unlimited forgiveness, for sure she is in a different place than me. I take issue with automatically forgiving murderers and believe that true forgiveness, especially when it comes to such atrocities, can only come from God. I feel quite certain that the publisher of this book has a definite bias in favor of automatic forgiveness. 

Finally, in one part of the book, I recall her describing the monsters that were murdering everyone left, right, and center, and saying that they weren’t bad people. Here, I will quote from one of my all-time favorite authors, Dennis Prager. This is from a book that I need to read again and again, “Think a Second Time”. This is from the first chapter in his book. I would quote the entire chapter if I could! 

“The belief that people are basically good is one of the most widely held beliefs in contemporary society … To believe that human nature is basically good – after Auschwitz, the Gulag, Rwanda, Armenia, and Tibet, just to mention some of the horrors of the twentieth century alone – is a statement of faith, as nonempirical as the most wishful religious belief. Whenever I meet people who persist in believing in the essential goodness of human nature, I know that I have met people for whom evidence is irrelevant.” 
Regardless, I am so happy that I read this. It is filled with love, compassion, and resilience. Reading it has inspired me to improve my own relationship with God and to learn to trust in Him more. 

Some of my favorite quotes:
“The love of a single heart can make a world of difference.”

“I knew that my heart and mind would always be tempted to feel anger--to find blame and hate. But I resolved that when the negative feelings came upon me, I wouldn't wait for them to grow or fester. I would always turn immediately to the Source of all true power: I would turn to God and let His love and forgiveness protect and save me.”

“But I came to learn that God never shows us something we aren't ready to understand. Instead, He lets us see what we need to see, when we need to see it. He'll wait until our eyes and hearts are open to Him, and then when we're ready, He will plant our feet on the path that's best for us...but it's up to us to do the walking.”

“Whenever I prayed, I immediately felt His love around me, and the anxiety eased.”

and 90 Minutes at Entebbe: The Full Inside Story of the Spectacular Israeli Counterterrorism Strike and the Daring Rescue of 103 Hostages - 3 Stars - Growing up in the 1970s, I remember constantly hearing about hijackings and hostages. We were at Heathrow Airport once, about to check-in for a flight, when there was a sudden mad rush and everyone was ordered to go and wait in the parking lot because of a possible terrorist attack. Another time, we were in the London Underground and everyone had to rush out because of terrorist fears. 

Knowing my love for Israel, my dad has often enjoyed telling me the incredible story about how back in 1976 the Israeli Defense Force secretly flew into Entebbe, Uganda to rescue hostages from a hijacked plane. This was known as Operation Thunderbolt. 

When I came across this book, I was eager to read it. The story is amazing, but I do so wish that someone else had written it. The writing was choppy in many parts and I felt that it was detached and dry. For such an amazing event in history, this book was underwhelming. 

My favorite quote:
“Other nations preferred to shy from taking precautions and collaborating in the frustration of terrorism. Too many governments were afraid of offending Arab, African, and Asian sensibilities.”

9781401915384.jpg   9781510734388.jpg

MY RATING SYSTEM
5 Stars

Fantastic, couldn't put it down
4 Stars
Really Good
3 Stars
Enjoyable 
2 Stars
Just Okay – nothing to write home about
1 Star
Rubbish – waste of my money and time. Few books make it to this level, since I usually give up on them if they’re that bad.

• Like 8

Left to Tell is an amazing book!  I think the issue of forgiveness is a tough one.  Being able to forgive someone is truly a grace.  Forgiveness releases the forgiver from being control by the evil that has been done to them.  It is freeing.  It overcomes evil. 

• Like 6

20 minutes ago, Negin said:

I read Left to Tell: Discovering God Amidst the Rwandan Holocaust - 3 Stars - When I first came across this book, I couldn’t make up my mind as to whether I would be able to handle all the pain. I kept picking it up and putting it back on the shelf. After all, it is about the Rwandan genocide and I’m not particularly strong when it comes to these things. I still haven’t been able to watch “Hotel Rwanda” and am not sure if I ever will. The pain and trauma hit a bit too close to home for me. No, I haven’t experienced anything like what this book describes, but I have experienced other events that I would really rather not think about anymore: political instability to the point of great fear in two countries that I’ve lived in, as well as a major hurricane. 

This is one of those books that really got me thinking. Immaculee suffered immensely and her story is truly riveting. Painful, horrific, and still so amazing – this book reminded me of the incredible power of prayer and trusting in God. Although her faith in God is beyond measure, there are a few points that come to my mind that I disagree with. 

First, she equates prayer with positive thinking. I do not believe that they are one and the same. 

Second, although her ability to forgive is incredible, it’s also a bit difficult for me to comprehend. When it comes to unlimited forgiveness, for sure she is in a different place than me. I take issue with automatically forgiving murderers and believe that true forgiveness, especially when it comes to such atrocities, can only come from God. I feel quite certain that the publisher of this book has a definite bias in favor of automatic forgiveness. 

Finally, in one part of the book, I recall her describing the monsters that were murdering everyone left, right, and center, and saying that they weren’t bad people. Here, I will quote from one of my all-time favorite authors, Dennis Prager. This is from a book that I need to read again and again, “Think a Second Time”. This is from the first chapter in his book. I would quote the entire chapter if I could! 

“The belief that people are basically good is one of the most widely held beliefs in contemporary society … To believe that human nature is basically good – after Auschwitz, the Gulag, Rwanda, Armenia, and Tibet, just to mention some of the horrors of the twentieth century alone – is a statement of faith, as nonempirical as the most wishful religious belief. Whenever I meet people who persist in believing in the essential goodness of human nature, I know that I have met people for whom evidence is irrelevant.” 
Regardless, I am so happy that I read this. It is filled with love, compassion, and resilience. Reading it has inspired me to improve my own relationship with God and to learn to trust in Him more. 

Some of my favorite quotes:
“The love of a single heart can make a world of difference.”

“I knew that my heart and mind would always be tempted to feel anger--to find blame and hate. But I resolved that when the negative feelings came upon me, I wouldn't wait for them to grow or fester. I would always turn immediately to the Source of all true power: I would turn to God and let His love and forgiveness protect and save me.”

“But I came to learn that God never shows us something we aren't ready to understand. Instead, He lets us see what we need to see, when we need to see it. He'll wait until our eyes and hearts are open to Him, and then when we're ready, He will plant our feet on the path that's best for us...but it's up to us to do the walking.”

“Whenever I prayed, I immediately felt His love around me, and the anxiety eased.”

and 90 Minutes at Entebbe: The Full Inside Story of the Spectacular Israeli Counterterrorism Strike and the Daring Rescue of 103 Hostages - 3 Stars - Growing up in the 1970s, I remember constantly hearing about hijackings and hostages. We were at Heathrow Airport once, about to check-in for a flight, when there was a sudden mad rush and everyone was ordered to go and wait in the parking lot because of a possible terrorist attack. Another time, we were in the London Underground and everyone had to rush out because of terrorist fears. 

Knowing my love for Israel, my dad has often enjoyed telling me the incredible story about how back in 1976 the Israeli Defense Force secretly flew into Entebbe, Uganda to rescue hostages from a hijacked plane. This was known as Operation Thunderbolt. 

When I came across this book, I was eager to read it. The story is amazing, but I do so wish that someone else had written it. The writing was choppy in many parts and I felt that it was detached and dry. For such an amazing event in history, this book was underwhelming. 

My favorite quote:
“Other nations preferred to shy from taking precautions and collaborating in the frustration of terrorism. Too many governments were afraid of offending Arab, African, and Asian sensibilities.”

9781401915384.jpg   9781510734388.jpg

Hugs!  Thank you for sharing your thoughts on two powerful subjects.  Enjoyed the quote from Dennis Prager's book and will have to get it for Hubby to read. Left to Tell sounds like an interesting book.   Not sure I'm ready to handle watching Hotel Rwanda just yet, but it may be time. Need to expose James to the subject since he's learned so much about WWII atrocities.   

Edited by Robin M
  • Like 6

I just finished three rereads:  The Odyssey by Homer (with my teen daughter - my 4th and possibly last time I'll read this!); Hold On To Your Kids (for a homeschooling group's group read - very insightful book, but in my mind it doesn't go far enough.), A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute - a book I read a couple decades ago, but enjoyed revisiting.

I also just finished Black Coffee by Agatha Christie - I'm working my way through all the Hercule Poirot books.  This is the novelized version of Christie's play of the same name.  I think just reading the play would have been better. Turning it into a novel felt clumsy.

I also just finished the audio recording of The House of Unexpected Sisters (No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series).  The reader on the recording was PERFECT!  I really enjoyed listening to this.  

Still working my way through The Crucified Rabbi by Taylor Marshall and just started The Last Kingdom by Bernard Cornwell (of Sharpe's Rifle fame).  

• Like 7

I am hoping to finish the 4th volume of the Neopolitan Novels by Elana Ferrante (The Story of The Lost Child) this week. There have been sections of this quartet that lag, but overall I think that Ferrante sustains excellence. The whole thing runs 1500 or 1600 pages, and I am going to be sorry to say goodbye to these characters and their lives.

There has not been much reading time for me lately. We had a nice vacation at the Sunset Beach, North Carolina, and I did a lot of reading there. But I have been swamped ever since I got back. I've been preoccupied with helping one son move back to Europe and another son get started on his college applications. Am hoping for lots of reading time during this upcoming semester, but that might be wishful thinking!

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 9

Some recent reads ~

I re-read Martha Wells' novella All Systems Red  and then read, for the first time, Artificial Condition.  I enjoyed them both and look forward to reading more in this series called The Murderbot Diaries.  This is a series best read in order.  Here is the blurb from the first book which won the 2017 Nebula Award for Best Novella.

""As a heartless killing machine, I was a complete failure."

In a corporate-dominated spacefaring future, planetary missions must be approved and supplied by the Company. Exploratory teams are accompanied by Company-supplied security androids, for their own safety.

But in a society where contracts are awarded to the lowest bidder, safety isn’t a primary concern.

On a distant planet, a team of scientists are conducting surface tests, shadowed by their Company-supplied ‘droid — a self-aware SecUnit that has hacked its own governor module, and refers to itself (though never out loud) as “Murderbot.” Scornful of humans, all it really wants is to be left alone long enough to figure out who it is.

But when a neighboring mission goes dark, it's up to the scientists and their Murderbot to get to the truth."

I also read Chaos Station  by Kelly Jensen and Jenn Burke.  I enjoyed this science fiction romance featuring two men, but (since I'd heard such good reviews) I'd hoped for a bit more.  (Adult content)

""You're not real. Felix Ingesson is dead."

The war with the alien stin is over, but Felix Ingesson has given up on seeing his lover, Zander Anatolius, ever again. Zander's military file is sealed tighter than an airlock. A former prisoner of war, Felix is attempting a much quieter life keeping his ship, the Chaos, aloft. He almost succeeds, until Zander walks on board and insists that Felix isn't real.

A retired, broken super soldier, Zander is reeling from the aftereffects of his experimental training and wants nothing more than to disappear and wait for insanity to claim him. Then he sees footage of a friend and ally—a super soldier like him—murdering an entire security squad with her bare hands and a cold, dead look in her eyes. He never expected to find Felix, the man he'd thought dead for years, on the ship he hired to track her down.

Working with Felix to rescue his teammate is a dream come true…and a nightmare. Zander has no exit strategy that will leave Felix unscathed—or his own heart unbroken."

I also read the short work (57 pages) Bonds of Fire  by Sophie Duncan which happens to be currently free to Kindle readers.  It was okay, but it's not something I expect to re-read.

"Drekken is a dragon warrior. Bonded to his dragon, Miri, together they lead a squadron of fliers. His fliers respect him, his enemies fear him, his reputation precedes him. Yet, nothing in his life could have prepared Drekken for his greatest challenge: babysitting.

Stranded after a deadly battle, separated from his squadron and Miri, Drekken finds himself the only hope for two young empaths and their nursery group of hatchlings. He must lead them all to safety and, along the way, discover some truths about himself.

Bonds of Fire is a fantasy novella that contains an m/m romance."

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 8

55 minutes ago, Faithr said:

Left to Tell is an amazing book!  I think the issue of forgiveness is a tough one.  Being able to forgive someone is truly a grace.  Forgiveness releases the forgiver from being control by the evil that has been done to them.  It is freeing.  It overcomes evil. 

You said it perfectly. It is definitely freeing. I have a hard enough time, although I am getting better at it with age, forgiving for what I later think to be trivial. Again, getting better at it! It would be so difficult for me to forgive the monsters of such a genocide. I admire those who can. 

53 minutes ago, Robin M said:

Hugs!  Thank you for sharing your thoughts on two powerful subjects.  Enjoyed the quote from Dennis Prager's book and will have to get it for Hubby to read. Left to Tell sounds like an interesting book.   Not sure I'm ready to handle watching Hotel Rwanda just yet, but it may be time. Need to expose James to the subject since he's learned so much about WWII atrocities.   

Robin, you are so kind. Thank you. Dennis Prager's book "Think a Second Time" is wonderful. Some of it is a bit dated, but still so interesting. I don't know if I'll ever be able to see "Hotel Rwanda". Again, too painful and too close to home for me. 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Robin M said:

Good morning.  I just started Jennifer Estep's Venon in the Veins which is the latest book in her Elemental Assassin's series. 

Mum - So glad you enjoyed Dark Fever.  Makes me want to read it again.  

Robin,  I have the second in the Dark Fever series on my Kindle so will be starting it soon!  I keep meaning to read the first in the Estep series,  maybe that should be one of my 2019 goals!

I am currently totally immersed in a Danish crime novel called The Night Ferry by Lotte Hammer.  I read another in this series a few years ago and do not remember enjoying that one nearly so much.  The book moves between Copenhagen and events during the Balkan War in an interesting and horrifying way at times.  I have been carrying the kindle around with me today so I could read a page whenever possible. https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/21900710-den-sindssyge-polak

My audiobook is Elegy for Eddie by Jacqueline Winspear.  I haven’t listened to it today because of The NightFerry but when I finish both of these books I will have my August Flower, the Jasmine completed!

For Brit Tripping, so far I have read many books set in London so am technically done.  I have checked out a Charles Finch which appears to be at least partially set in London for this weeks seat on the bus!

• Like 8

Negin - while reading your review, my first thought was, "Has she seen Hotel Rwanda?"   It's an EXCELLENT movie, BUT, as I get older and go through more things I find I can't handle graphic movies.   I can read books, but watching them is just too hard.    

Faithr - I read Hold Onto Your Kids a few years ago and I thought it made some very good points.

I didn't post last week, because I didn't finish a thing!    

This week I finished The Alice Network.    It was ok.   It was basically about some lady spies in WWI, and a related story just after WWII.   Some of it was based on people that actually existed.   

Right now I am in the middle of One True Thing by Anna Quindlen.   I know I saw the movie years ago, and I like Anna Quindlen but it's an emotional read.    One True Thing is about an adult daughter taking care of her mother dying of cancer.  Anna Quindlen's mother died of cancer, and you can tell she has been though this.  I won't spoil the end, but there's a controversy.   Any of us who have gone through watching someone suffer like this can completely understand.

Meanwhile I am still trying to read A Suitable Boy.  I posted a few weeks ago that I was having a hard time keeping characters straight, and Robin suggested that chunksters maybe need to be read in bigger sections.   And I've realized that's absolutely true.   I am trying to read a few pages here and there of this book, instead of sitting down and reading a bigger section.  I'm not sure I have the mental energy to devote to it right now, so I may have to give up.

I am on the lookout for fluffy, easy, happy, non-thinking books that I can read right now.

• Like 8

This Time-line for the "Mercyverse"" (books and stories pertaining to Patricia Briggs' character Mercedes Thompson) was posted back in April. At that time, I requested my library obtain a copy of A Fantastic Holiday Season: The Gift of Stories  edited by Kevin J. Anderson and Keith J. Olexa since the anthology contained a Briggs' story that I had not previously read.

I read the anthology today and quite enjoyed Unappreciated Gifts which featured Patricia Briggs' character Asil.  The other stories were quite a mixed bag but all dealt with holidays (Winter themed) in one way or another.

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 6

@Negin thank you for that comprehensive review of Left to Tell. I had this book a few years ago and hesitated over it; I think I passed it along at some point, but your review is making me reconsider. I did read Amish Grace a few months back, which explores forgiveness when it seems impossible; it is a recount of the Nickle Mines Amish community after the school shooting there. I also struggle with certain aspects of this topic, but I find much to admire in Amish community and the manner in which all acknowledge and assist the grieving, including the family of the shooter. 

@Robin M, I wanted to thank you for the idea behind Blind Date With a Book. I love goofy little “challenges” like this. My blind date book is not the greatest; I just got through a reveal plot point and I literally said out loud, “Oh, come on!” The motives of people and the decisions they make do not ring true. But, oh well...it is fun stepping out of my usual genres and trying something totally unknown and by an author I have never read (or heard of) before. (The book is The Irish Cottage Murder by Dicey Deere.) 

Other reading: I just finished my IRL book club pick When the English Fall by I forget...David Williams maybe? This dystopian apocolyptic novel had so much promise and I expected to be intrigued, but the author just did not exploit the plot points well. I am half tempted to fan-fic a couple parts myself, just to see how I could make it come out differently in a way I think is better. 

I’m almost finished the audiobook Listen, Liberal.  Good points in there, but the tone is so ranty and the audiobook is read by the author (Frank?). I’m very annoyed by the book now and just want to finish it so it’s over. I do think his main point about the Democratic party abandoning the working class does explain a lot of what happened in 2016 - and this book was written before that. So, a lot of political prescience, there; I give him credit for that. 

I’m also still reading in The Geography of Bliss and also picked back up in Guitar Zero, which I admit I pulled back up on my kindle solely because it would fill my “Music” square on 52-weeks Bingo. ? 

• Like 9

No books finished this week, as I was distracted by a gripping if repellent chunkster (1300 pages!) called The Pennsylvania Grand Jury Report. Not that one could have the stamina or stomach to read it straight through; but an old friend of dh's and mine, it turns out, had an entire page of it devoted to him, so that held interest for me. As dh observed, funny how people you know pop up in the places you least expect. Adult content.

All that excitement and misery having calmed down, I'm finishing up Celine's Journey To the End of the Night, and moving forward in my re-re-re-read of Augustine's Confessions for discussion with Middle Girl. Ah those pears.

Edited by Violet Crown
  • Like 6
  • Sad 5

7 hours ago, Violet Crown said:

No books finished this week, as I was distracted by a gripping if repellent chunkster (1300 pages!) called The Pennsylvania Grand Jury Report. Not that one could have the stamina or stomach to read it straight through; but an old friend of dh's and mine, it turns out, had an entire page of it devoted to him, so that held interest for me. As dh observed, funny how people you know pop up in the places you least expect. Adult content.

All that excitement and misery having calmed down, I'm finishing up Celine's Journey To the End of the Night, and moving forward in my re-re-re-read of Augustine's Confessions for discussion with Middle Girl. Ah those pears.

We were part of the Harrisburg Diocese for a few years. The grand jury report occupied quite a bit of my reading and headspace this week, too ?

• Like 6
  • Sad 3

52 minutes ago, JennW in SoCal said:

Oh Penguin, and Violet Crown. Just ... love and prayers for you both. And for your congregations. And the Church. 

You are kind,  Jenn. Even though I am now what is I guess called a lapsed Catholic, I was a Catholic School Mom (in four different states) for sixteen years before we started homeschooling. 

ETA, Ugh, I edited this post a few times because I just can't seem find the right words at the moment. 

Edited by Penguin
  • Like 6

51 minutes ago, Penguin said:

You are kind,  Jenn. Even though I am now what is I guess called a lapsed Catholic, I was a Catholic School Mom (in four different states) for sixteen years before we started homeschooling. 

There’s going to be a lot more lapsed Catholics in the immediate future.

• Like 3
  • Sad 2

I am really depressed about the Roman Catholic Church right now.  I just feel my trust in that institution has been corroded beyond repair.  I'm hanging on by a thread though.  But also  I am dealing with emotional/mental illness going in the family, from multiple places . . . it is really getting me down.  I did get a puppy (our beloved Sheltie passed away this summer) on Saturday (a beagador!) which is both distracting and exhausting.  I haven't had to deal with puppy care in a while!  Anyway, I started reading the book The Last Kingdom by Cornwell, but I am not in the mood for a dark gory historical read right now.  So I'm putting it aside.  Anybody got a cheery book to recommend?  I tend to like Wodehouse, Austen, Heyer, Christie.  Anyone got a funny or light absorbing novel to recommend?  Thanks!

• Like 5
  • Sad 3

1 hour ago, Faithr said:

Anybody got a cheery book to recommend? 

I'll make my standard suggestion and recommend the Don Camillo books by Giovanni Guareschi.  It is a series of some six books about an Italian priest and his nemesis the Communist mayor; the books are set in the 1950s in Italy. The priest sometimes talks to Christ on the cross who talks back to him.  The wikipedia entry will give you a good idea of the content of the series.  The first book is  The Little World of Don Camillo.

ETA: Congratulations on your new puppy.  And here's hoping that sunnier days are ahead.

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 5

20 minutes ago, Kareni said:

I'll make my standard suggestion and recommend the Don Camillo books by Giovanni Guareschi.  It is a series of some six books about an Italian priest and his nemesis the Communist mayor; the books are set in the 1950s in Italy. The priest sometimes talks to Christ on the cross who talks back to him.  The wikipedia entry will give you a good idea of the content of the series.  The first book is  The Little World of Don Camillo.

ETA: Congratulations on your new puppy.  And here's hoping that sunnier days are ahead.

Regards,
Kareni

Oh how exciting!  I have read The Little World of Don Camillo years ago.  I'll hunt for the others!  Thanks so much for the recommendation!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Faithr said:

I am really depressed about the Roman Catholic Church right now.  I just feel my trust in that institution has been corroded beyond repair.  I'm hanging on by a thread though.  But also  I am dealing with emotional/mental illness going in the family, from multiple places . . . it is really getting me down.  I did get a puppy (our beloved Sheltie passed away this summer) on Saturday (a beagador!) which is both distracting and exhausting.  I haven't had to deal with puppy care in a while!  Anyway, I started reading the book The Last Kingdom by Cornwell, but I am not in the mood for a dark gory historical read right now.  So I'm putting it aside.  Anybody got a cheery book to recommend?  I tend to like Wodehouse, Austen, Heyer, Christie.  Anyone got a funny or light absorbing novel to recommend?  Thanks!

Hugs!  I have never heard of a Beagador before and have now researched them quite throughly. ?. I hope you enjoy your new edition, the online photos are adorable.  Enjoy!

My book suggestion isn’t as classic as Don Camillo but in case it takes you awhile to locate one,  I have been enjoying Robin Paige’s  cozy series quite a bit https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/538396.Death_at_Bishop_s_Keep. Another more classic recommendation is DE Stevenson who wrote books that are simply lovely......I particularly enjoyed the Amberwell series https://www.goodreads.com/series/197716-ayrton-family

• Like 6

1 hour ago, mumto2 said:

Hugs!  I have never heard of a Beagador before and have now researched them quite throughly. ?. I hope you enjoy your new edition, the online photos are adorable.  Enjoy!

My book suggestion isn’t as classic as Don Camillo but in case it takes you awhile to locate one,  I have been enjoying Robin Paige’s  cozy series quite a bit https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/538396.Death_at_Bishop_s_Keep. Another more classic recommendation is DE Stevenson who wrote books that are simply lovely......I particularly enjoyed the Amberwell series https://www.goodreads.com/series/197716-ayrton-family

Thanks so much!  I appreciate the suggestions!

I had never heard of Beagadors either, but I couldn't stand not having a dog for company in the house, so I googled rescue near me and the nearby organization happened to have Beagador puppies up for adoption, so we chose the cutest one!  He's very different from our refined, shy and gentle Sheltie who could almost read your mind!  He is smart and lovable but very boisterous and needs lots of walks.  Which is good for me!  He's definitely a positive distraction in the midst of dealing with all the tension and emotions roiling around my family right now.

• Like 6

On 8/20/2018 at 3:17 PM, Faithr said:

Well, this is probably the opposite of what you're looking for, but [ ... ] Iota Unum by Romano Amerio, which is long and difficult and not cheerful but very convincing. Since I'm not here to evangelize, just to share my experience, I will leave it at that.

Edited by Violet Crown
Personal info removed
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

I just finished Helen Russell's The Year of Living Danishly: Uncovering the Secrets of the World’s Happiest Country: which I found to be a quick and enjoyable read.

"When she was suddenly given the opportunity of a new life in rural Jutland, journalist and archetypal Londoner Helen Russell discovered a startling statistic: the happiest place on earth isn’t Disneyland, but Denmark, a land often thought of by foreigners as consisting entirely of long dark winters, cured herring, Lego and pastries.

What is the secret to their success? Are happy Danes born, or made? Helen decides there is only one way to find out: she will give herself a year, trying to uncover the formula for Danish happiness.

From childcare, education, food and interior design to SAD, taxes, sexism and an unfortunate predilection for burning witches, The Year of Living Danishly is a funny, poignant record of a journey that shows us where the Danes get it right, where they get it wrong, and how we might just benefit from living a little more Danishly ourselves."

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 5

@Faithr - I find times like this when I'm looking for something lovely to read it's helpful to pull a few of my favorite books growing up off the shelf. There's something reassuring about the idea that you can still go on adventures with Mary Lennox and Colin in the Moors or run away to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. If it's a real emergency I might hijack a few of the Calvin and Hobbes books from DD's room.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, aggieamy said:

@Faithr - I find times like this when I'm looking for something lovely to read it's helpful to pull a few of my favorite books growing up off the shelf. There's something reassuring about the idea that you can still go on adventures with Mary Lennox and Colin in the Moors or run away to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. If it's a real emergency I might hijack a few of the Calvin and Hobbes books from DD's room.

Excellent advice!

• Like 5

I finished a couple of books ~

If You Can Doodle, You Can Paint: Transforming Simple Drawings into Works of Art  by Diane Culhane was an enjoyable book to browse through.  I will say that the author's doodles look more artistic than mine, but I did get a few ideas.

"If You Can Doodle, Your Can Paint looks at the small, impromtu doodles we make on a daily basis as resources; treasures from which we can create full-sized paintings. Even if you don't consider yourself a doodler, the exercises and techniques in this book will give you a fun way to tap into your personal style.

The invitation starts with a pencil as you work through doodle assignments. Eventually, you will learn how to size up and combine these doodles into larger compositions. Then, you will begin mixing it up with watercolor paints and, finally, with acrylic paints.

In If You Can Doodle, You Can Paint we will:

• Dig for treasure/doodle
  • Observe, arrange, and study
  • Make folded books for doodle-ready surfaces
  • Copy your images with hand/eye coordination
  • Scan and enlarge your doodles
  • Add color combinations with colored pencil and acrylic paint
  • Create compositional grid paintings, and
  • Create a large complete painting!

So what are you waiting for? Grab some pens and paints and get creative!"

I also re-read, with pleasure,  P.S. I Spook You  by S.E. Harmon. (Adult content)

"SSA Rain Christiansen used to be the agency’s golden boy. It just takes one moment of weakness, one slight, tiny, itty-bitty paranormal sighting, and all of a sudden he’s the agency’s embarrassment. His boss gives him one last chance to redeem himself—go down to Brickell Bay, play nice with the local police, and leave the ghost sightings behind. Rain is determined to do exactly that, even if it kills him.

Cold-case detective Daniel McKenna’s latest investigation is going nowhere fast. Five years earlier, high school student Amy Greene went missing after leaving her part-time job and was never seen again. Daniel is glad to finally have the FBI help that his department requested, even if it does come in the form of his ex.

It doesn’t help that Rain is pretty sure he’s falling in love with Danny all over again—if he ever stopped. Add to that the frustration of seeing ghosts at every turn while he works a case that’s stalled in its tracks, and Rain is starting to wonder if second chances and happy endings are just for fairy tales."

Regards,
Kareni
  • Like 5

I don't usually add a book in the middle of the week but just had to this time. I loved this children's biography of E. B. White. It's illustrated in an unusual and super-creative way, very much like a scrapbook. I also didn't really know much about Mr. White, author of Charlotte's Web and Trumpet of the Swan (but you guys all knew that already ?), and now know what a thoughtful and down to earth man he truly was. 

Some Writer!: The Story of E.B. White by Melissa Sweet

I just realized that the author also illustrated another very good biography about Roget, of thesaurus fame: The Right Word: Roget and His Thesaurus by Jen Bryant and Melissa Sweet  

• Like 7

Bingo square for crime is checked!  I had been planning to use last weeks The Night Ferry but as I had I’ll be gone in the Dark by Michelle McNamara in my stack I decided to give it a try.....I actually had a hope that I could use it for the memoir square,  nope.  

I feel the need to give a bit of an explanation here because once upon a time I read a great deal of true crime and fictional murder in part because I had a friend murdered by her ex and her body still has never been found.  So it was my primary genre for three or four years.  In the case of my friend other definite  proof of death did exist.  Thanks to the almost storybook detective for whom she was his last case before retirement,  the ex was in prison for his crime the last I knew,  it took years.  The Ex was a huge murder mystery fan and I secretly kept hoping to stumble on to what he did with her body in books that he liked......a trace amount of mud in tires linked him on the night she disappeared to a huge forest/swamp but it was years before I knew that.  I still enjoy an occasional forensic novel .......but I probably tend to overthink them. ? 

This book checked many boxes for me and at times I found it incredibly engrossing.  I had never heard of these crimes until this criminal was caught in such an unbelievable way.  But I had a really hard time keeping track of what was going on, maybe if I was already familiar it would have made more sense at times.  The book jumped between crimes and timelines with utter abandon because clues from old crimes became important on the later timeline. The writing styles obviously jumped because the author was unable to complete the book, she died unexpectedly.  The first part of the book which she had completed as the book was by far the best part.  The remaining parts were her blog posts, transcripts of interviews,  bits by others all edited together.....confusing for me.  I couldn’t just read it straight because it was an emotional overload so I kept coming back and having to reconstruct what I had read the day before.  Definitely not a bedside book!  Last night I finally gave up and just stayed up until I finished it.  I didn’t love it and ended up giving it 3 stars on Goodreads, probably was 3.5 but that can’t be done.  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35068432-i-ll-be-gone-in-the-dark

Edited by mumto2
  • Like 6

Ahem. It is Thursday already, and I've not yet completed a quick reading update. 

Shadow District, by Arnuldur Indidradson was quite good. I know mumto2 has also read and enjoyed this mystery. It is a story that jumps back and forth between the present and WWII, with the time jumps handled so well that the story progresses smoothly. It is also the first mystery by the author that is not part of the series featuring Inspector Erlendur, and I wonder whether it is going to be a stand alone, or if any of the detectives will become recurring characters in a series.

I am hugely disappointed with The Calculating Stars, an alternate history set in the 1950s when women become astronauts. It starts well, and is clearly well researched, but it is a hot mess of a book with the author not being skilled enough to handle all the issues she wants to address in one fluffy sci-fi book. Worst of all, the author herself is the narrator for the audible version, and she reads it like a high school drama student with bad accents and exaggerated emotion. I would probably enjoy it more as a print edition, probably could over look the stupid rocket launch innuendos in the all too frequent bedroom scenes between the husband and wife rocket scientists. Ugh. It was a book I was looking forward to and it has all these glowing 5 star reviews on Goodreads and Audible. 

ETA -- Do we have a set plan for the Kristin Lavransdatter readalong?

Edited by JennW in SoCal
  • Like 6

Hi!  It's been a crazy week with school starting.

We finished Jane Eyre (audiobook) late last week.  We are now listening to A Little Princess.

I probably have about a week to go on the paper books I've been reading - Spy Camp (read-aloud) and Miss Manners / Perfect Children.

The Perfect Children book is organized kinda weird.  It does have some good stuff in it, but a reference book it is not, LOL. I might have to re-read it for anything important to stick.  I thought maybe I should take notes the second time through.  I wish she had a book in a format kids could use.  She touches on a lot of things that make young people feel needlessly insecure.

• Like 4

Good morning.  I finished Jennifer Estep's Venon in the Veins. A good series but the characters seem to be getting more immature rather than growing. I'm finding more flaws in their thinking than enjoying the story.  Started Patricia Brigg's Burn Bright and enjoying it. 

@Penguin - Thank you for the lovely postcard. Yes, the smoke has cleared out and we are enjoying early fall weather this week.  

@aggieamy - Hey darlin, good to hear from you.  Have been wondering where you've been

3 hours ago, JennW in SoCal said:

We'll begin the first week in September.  My copy just arrived and I'll come up with a weekly reading plan similar to W&P in the next few days. 

Today hubby and I are celebrating our 21st Anniversary   John says "our marriage is old enough to drink now."  ?  

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

I've finished two books recently ~

Penny Reid's contemporary romance Beard Science (Winston Brothers Book 3)  was an enjoyable read.  While it's third in a series, it's the first I've read and stood alone well.  (Some adult content)

"Make a deal with the devil and you might get what you want, but will it be what you need?

Jennifer Sylvester wants one thing, and that one thing is NOT to be Tennessee’s reigning Banana Cake Queen. Ever the perpetual good girl and obedient daughter, Jennifer is buckling under the weight of her social media celebrity, her mother’s ambitions, and her father’s puritanical mandates. Jennifer is officially desperate.

And desperate times call for Cletus Winston.

Cletus Winston is a puzzle wrapped in a mystery covered in conundrum sauce, and now he’s in a pickle. Despite being convinced of his own omniscience, extortion by the exalted Banana Cake Queen of Green Valley has taken him completely by surprise. So... what’s a maniacal mastermind to do?

Likely, the last thing you expect."

NOTE: The author has another book that is currently free:  Beauty and the Mustache: A Philosophical Romance (Knitting in the City Book 4)

I also re-read  Amy Crook's Unboxed. 

Here's what I wrote when I first read it: "This book/world has a premise which I found quite intriguing.  A couple of observations:  First, I could wish the book were less graphic, because I think others who might enjoy the magic aspect will not read it due to the adult content. Second, the author spends considerable time writing about all of the eating and drinking the characters do.  Most of that drinking is of tea and to a far lesser extent alcohol, while the eating is of biscuits and pastries with occasional breaks for curries and other savory foods.  The book would likely be 25 percent shorter were those scenes to be omitted. This would probably not be a good book to read if you're hungry or thirsty!  All that said, I did enjoy the book and will likely re-read it at some point.  I'd certainly like to read more by this author. (Significant adult content; this is a romance featuring men.) 

If you'd like to get a taste of the magic system the author has created, you might download the sample; I think that had no adult content.

"It's a world of small, personal magics. Noah is a Finder of lost items, a very minor talent that he mostly uses to make a bit of cash during the slow months in his jewellery shop. Brandon is a Fixer, making broken or worn-out objects whole again. Eaton, as a Lie Detector, has the perfect talent for his career with the police.

Every person is born with either a key or a locked box. Each box has one key, and every key can unlock one box. How can these three friends hope to stay close and still find their soulmates? Especially with someone stealing keys and replacing them with well-crafted, soulless counterfeits.""

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Robin M said:

Today hubby and I are celebrating our 21st Anniversary   John says "our marriage is old enough to drink now."  ?  

A very happy anniversary to both you and John, Robin.  I hope your marriage will happily run for president in another 14 years.

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, JennW in SoCal said:

Ahem. It is Thursday already, and I've not yet completed a quick reading update. 

Shadow District, by Arnuldur Indidradson was quite good. I know mumto2 has also read and enjoyed this mystery. It is a story that jumps back and forth between the present and WWII, with the time jumps handled so well that the story progresses smoothly. It is also the first mystery by the author that is not part of the series featuring Inspector Erlendur, and I wonder whether it is going to be a stand alone, or if any of the detectives will become recurring characters in a series.

I am hugely disappointed with The Calculating Stars, an alternate history set in the 1950s when women become astronauts. It starts well, and is clearly well researched, but it is a hot mess of a book with the author not being skilled enough to handle all the issues she wants to address in one fluffy sci-fi book. Worst of all, the author herself is the narrator for the audible version, and she reads it like a high school drama student with bad accents and exaggerated emotion. I would probably enjoy it more as a print edition, probably could over look the stupid rocket launch innuendos in the all too frequent bedroom scenes between the husband and wife rocket scientists. Ugh. It was a book I was looking forward to and it has all these glowing 5 star reviews on Goodreads and Audible. 

Glad you enjoyed it!  ? I haven’t had a chance to read it but my Overdrive already owns the second in the series, The Shadow Killer.https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/27418709-ska-h-si

• Like 3

A bit of confirmation that my kids are actually getting something from our audiobooks.  They both took a book test on Jane Eyre and got 100%, though it's been about a week since we finished it.  I would have been thrilled with 70%, considering they are 11yo.

• Like 6

I finished the last of the Neopolitan Novels (quartet by Elena Ferrante). These are absolutely positively now among my favorite books of all time. My son asked me what I was going to read next, and I told him that I will just have to watch YouTube for a few days until I recover from the book hangover.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Robin M said:

Happy Anniversary!! 

1 hour ago, SKL said:

A bit of confirmation that my kids are actually getting something from our audiobooks.  They both took a book test on Jane Eyre and got 100%, though it's been about a week since we finished it.  I would have been thrilled with 70%, considering they are 11yo.

I'm glad your kids enjoyed Jane Eyre!

• Like 2

Oh my goodness, I've been afraid to find this thread for weeks because I didn't want to see how behind I was. I guess moving and starting a new job is not conducive to lofty reading goals.

I still weirdly feel like I can catch up.  I just need to give up Homeland and The Office at night ?

I did just finish Murakami's What I Talk About When I Talk About Running. I liked it.  I don't think a non-runner would like it.

That was only my 14th book of the year. I'm TWENTY behind. ?

I better stay off of here and get reading. (I do have 2 that are close to done!)

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Runningmom80 said:

Oh my goodness, I've been afraid to find this thread for weeks because I didn't want to see how behind I was. I guess moving and starting a new job is not conducive to lofty reading goals.

Welcome back!  Moving and a new job sound like a challenge; I hope all has gone well.

4 hours ago, Runningmom80 said:

That was only my 14th book of the year. I'm TWENTY behind. ?

There are always short books if you feel a need to meet a certain goal.  Here are two lists with a few overlaps ~

46 Brilliant Short Novels You Can Read In A Day: Great reads under 200 pages. Mostly.

50 short books for busy people

Regards,
Kareni

• Like 1