Menu

Rec. accurate movies/documentaries on historical events?

My boys are 15. We're calling Friday afternoon, our movie afternoon. I'm starting w/ Ken Burns' Civil War and working toward present day.

I'm hoping to find interesting -- and accurate -- movies and documentaries on historical events like Grapes of Wrath (showing the migration of farmers to CA in late 30's).

Any and all suggestions very appreciated!

And if you have opinions on the Ken Burns Civil War, I'd love to hear.

TIA!

Alley

If you can find a copy I thought Iron Jawed Angels was well done about the suffragist movement in the United States.  There is a scene where a woman's self-pleasure is implied, so you may want to watch it ahead of time.  There is an alternative called Suffragette, but I cannot remember if there is anything objectionable in it other than what actually happened to these women.
I'd add All The President's Men (Watergate) to the list, too, with Good Night And Good Luck (McCarthy), Glory (Civil War 1st African-American Regiment).  And a small list of 'sorta-true-but-hollywooded-up films:
Newsies
The Court Marshall Of Billy Mitchell
Inherit The Wind (Scopes 'monkey' trial)

And I'd recommend highly How The States Got Their Shapes.  Every episode is interesting and follows what seem to be minor footnotes in the history books but are often much bigger.

• Like 1

Ken Burns Civil War series:  it's really long, but I enjoyed it -- esp. all of the readings from letters written by soldiers and their families. (And, just a thought, but since this series is 11.5 hours long, you might consider watching it at lunch time every school day, for 30 minutes at a time, and then 2 hours on your Fridays. That will get you through it in 3 weeks and with a lot of remembering/consistency since you're watching 5 days/week -- instead of the 6 weeks with less remembering/consistency if watching just 2 hours each Friday.)

The PBS documentary series American Experience has some terrific episodes. The series has been running since 1989, so you'll want to pick and choose episodes that fit with topics you want to cover. Here's the complete list of episodes.

For movie ideas, check out these past threads:

elementary and up
"Movies for SOTW 3"
"I'm looking for movies to supplement Sonlight's Core D Intro to American History"
"Videos/DVDs/Movies for Early Modern Times? Age appropriate for a 7yo"

middle school / high school
"Movies to go with Middle Ages?" 
"Documentaries/Movies and Biographies for 20th Century World History" 
Favorite American History DVDs? (for ages 10-14)
Movies for Modern History (Vietnam - Present) for Logic students (US and World)
Movies/documentaries on Native Americans (US History)
Documentaries/movies and biographies for 20th Century World History (US and World)
Movie suggestions for 1890-1913 time period (US and World)

high school
The most accurate, well-done US history films? (documentaries and feature films)
Movies/documentaries for US History (feature films)
American History movies (see post #6 for Eliana's list; mostly feature films)
20th century American history for 9th grade (documentaries and feature films)
Good movie about modern U.S.? (movies to go with contemporary (post 2000) US History)
Movies for Modern History
Movies instead of Literature to go with History study?
Still working on my modern history through books and films
History through Movies question (Cold War films)

website lists
Drive Through History: Holy LandAncientsAmerican Hisory (family friendly educational videos -- check the library)
Schlessinger Media videos (US and World History; educational videos for different grade levels -- check the library)
Guest Hollow (elementary through high school -- books & movies to go with History)
Funda Funda (high school -- books & movies to go with US history)
Modern History in the Movies (high school/adult)
World History Movies (many family-friendly titles)
Historical Movies (the granddaddy of all history movie lists -- most are adult or older teen level)

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 1

Lori's list is amazing!  I'm sure that this shows up on one of her links, but the Eyes on the Prize documentary on the civil rights movement is extraordinary.  For high schoolers, I'd especially recommend the first half of episode #2, which is about the desegregation of Central High School in Little Rock.  It is available on YouTube.  

• Like 1

On 8/13/2018 at 12:24 PM, HomeAgain said:

There is a scene where a woman's self-pleasure is implied, so you may want to watch it ahead of time.  

I used this in my US History class and the movie is very good and on the whole accurate. This scene is pure Hollywood and it is very annoying it is in there. There is a version on Youtube that a teacher has edited - and edited that part out. I used that one, but the problem is the sound disappears at the end of that version, so I had to tell them to finish watching the original (it is an online class). 

On 8/13/2018 at 12:05 PM, Alicia64 said:

My boys are 15. We're calling Friday afternoon, our movie afternoon. I'm starting w/ Ken Burns' Civil War and working toward present day.

I'm hoping to find interesting -- and accurate -- movies and documentaries on historical events like Grapes of Wrath (showing the migration of farmers to CA in late 30's).

Any and all suggestions very appreciated!

And if you have opinions on the Ken Burns Civil War, I'd love to hear.

TIA!

Alley

Are you interested in only US History options?

Ken Burns Dust Bowl is very good. 

Gettysburg and/or God's and Generals

PBS just had an interesting series, Space Race.

There are several WWII and Cold War movies that were pretty good:  Stategic Air Command, Gathering of Eagles (Rock Hudson), Thirty Seconds over Tokyo, Hidden in Silence, Silent Night (with Linda Hamiliton),

We watched Inn of the Sixth Happiness (Ingrid Bergman) set in China 1930s

Eleanor and Franklin (2 dvds centered on Franklin and Eleanor from their youth through his death)