Menu

New article about an old unsolved homicide, Lady of the Dunes and the movie Jaws

unsinkable

32 minutes ago, Scarlett said:

Does no one know who the woman in the movie was? If they know, it looks like they could match her up with the dead woman.  

No, no one knows who she was. In the article, it explains the casting director died and no one can find the cast list with the extras listed.

47 minutes ago, Alicia64 said:

I don't mean to be an air-head, but what if it is her. . . what would that mean for the case?

Alley

If they can identify the victim, the police can start to investigate her life, her friends, family and associates, try to piece together her life around the time she was killed. And perhaps that can lead to suspects.

1 hour ago, Alicia64 said:

I don't mean to be an air-head, but what if it is her. . . what would that mean for the case?

Alley

If they can get the name of the extra, they could most likely rule her in or out as the victim. If she is the victim, of course that opens up many avenues for the investigation. 

If they do not get a name, but facial recognition or such determines that it is very likely to be here, they can broadcast the picture widely to the public and attempt to match it to missing person reports. That would potentially give her family at least a partial answer (she is dead), and again open many avenues for investigation because they now have a starting point. 

When law enforcement came across hundreds of photos taken by serial killer Rodney Alcala, they circulated them to the press and public to try and identify the people in them and see if they were victims. I think they tracked down about 20 people. They were all alive, but there are still about 100 people unidentified. Alcala was convicted of several murders and got a death sentence, but they still want to identify any possible victims.

I wonder if facial recognition technology is far enough developed to match the facial features. The plaster pics of the woman (especially the one in profile) look different to me from the woman in the scene but it's plaster and based on bone structure I imagine so it would not be completely accurate.

I hope it leads somewhere and her relatives, if she has any, will know what happened to her.