Menu

Shakespeare resources for elementary grades (besides Bruce Colville)?

madteaparty

Probably the first 2 from the list below are a good fit for young elementary ages; the others are better for late elementary/middle school grades.

Usborne Illustrated Stories from Shakespeare (Dickins) -- 6 tales; very simple text and lots of illustrations
Tales from Shakespeare (Williams) -- a fun comic strip type of retelling
Classics Illustrated graphic novels -- Midsummer Night's DreamRomeo & Juliet; Julius Caesar
Shakespeare's Stories (Garfield) -- abridged, simplified retellings
Shakespeare: Animated Tales -- 30 min. videos; abridged, but uses all original language

Edited by Lori D.
  • Like 2

I like this one, for retellings. It includes some of the original language, which is a nice touch that some of the others don't have. It only has one illustration per story*, which is disappointing, but the illustrations it does have are great.

I second the comic-strip style versions by Marcia Williams - there are two volumes. My kids are 11, 9 and 6 and they are nutty over those - the audience comments in the margins are hilarious.

How to Teach Your Children Shakespeare by Ken Ludwig is a fantastic resource.

We enjoy this book, too: Will's Words: How Shakespeare Changed the Way You Talk

*Edited to fix an error - I meant that the book has one illustration per STORY, not one per page. Sorry.

Edited by blondchen
  • Like 1

Usborn also has Where’s Will (like where’s Waldo). There’s a spread summarizing one play (with illustrations and text) and the next spread is a busy scene from the context of the play and you e got to find Shakespeare hiding in plain sight there. There are also some other things to find (characters, etc).  

Have you seen the BBC animated Tales from Shakespeare?

Edited by Targhee

I just bought a set of 16 "the Shakespeare Stories" at Costco. I haven't had a chance to go through them much, but they seem to be about a 3rd grade level. They are written as short chapter books. They were 16.99, so I figured I couldn't go wrong at that price!