Menu

Amer.Girl doll - should I get Kaya or a Just Like You doll?

If your dd has Kaya, does she always have the doll stay Kaya (as described in the books) or does she dress her in other clothing to be a girl who just happens to be native American? Does having a name and character already assigned affect the way your dd plays with the dolls? My dd has mentioned both Kaya and a Just Like You doll, but she doesn't seem to have a preference. Which do you think would have more play value?

Well, I preferred to get the historical dolls (they're in my mom's basement right now, awaiting Christmas), but then I promptly went out and bought fabric to sew a bunch of random outfits--I just now finished this dress (yes, I am insane):

irish-250-305-new.jpg

So I'm expecting Kit and Felicity to change back and forth from themselves to somebody else, somebody who wears Korean dress-up clothes...who knows what my kids will think, but as long as it involves clothes I don't think they'll care. :001_smile:

My oldest dd received Kaya first - fell in love with the stories, and so wanted her. Now also has Nikky (2007 DOTY), and both wear all types of clothes. DD is hoping Santa will bring her Samantha this year (and I hope she's not going to be late - she's backordered due to being on the archive list).

I had the Kaya doll and she is absolutely gorgeous - but that hair! It was miles long and so beautifully braided, I didn't ever want to take those braids out and mess her hair up!

I wound up selling her (I bought one so that I could "play" dolls with my girls) and bought the Jess doll of the year. I wasn't so fussy about messing her hair up. lol

I'd get a Just Like You doll...she can always dress her up in any of the historical stuff, you know. Our Molly and Kit dolls here also have (from the sale bit of the Am. Girl website) outfits from most of the other girls. Get the Just Like You doll and maybe a Kaya outfit - your dd's new doll can "time travel" in her Kaya outfit.

We don't have Kaya, but my sister, dd and I kept the *names* of our named dolls, but dressed them and played with them in all different ways. I'd get Kaya -- I think there's just a greater richness behind the dolls with stories... And they can time-travel just as well as the Just Like You dolls.

Here is our experience, don't know if it will be much help or not. After Bitty Baby, dd wanted the Just Like You doll. Has enjoyed it alot, Nana has made it clothes and we have bought a few AG outfits. Then, dd wanted Molly. She keeps Molly dressed in Molly clothes (thanks again to Nana) and the other doll wears anything and everything, including Molly clothes. Happy decision making and have fun w/ the doll.