Menu

What are your favorite traditional math curriculums?

I’m not sure what you mean by traditional math (espacillay since what I think of traditional is not conceptual math).  But, if you want solid math that is strong conceptually try Singapore, AOPS, or Harold Jacobs 

Edited by Targhee
  • Like 1

What level? Fwiw, alg 1 is a good place to change publishers. If he isn't ready for alg yet, you could stick with Saxon until then if it is working well. Fwiw, I would classify Saxon as traditional and will probably be fine for engineering.

if you want to switch, I recommend Foersters for alg 1 and 2 and either Larson or Sullivan for precalculus and cal. We use Alexander for geometry. I think DO's online classes use Sullivan.

• Like 1

I have a kid in college for engineering.  What he credits for a great understanding of math are Math U See (used through pre-A), and two outstanding math teachers that were passionate about their subject in high school/dual enrollment.
We used Saxon - fail for this kid.
We used AoPS - okay, but he had to work really hard to get it.
We used Life of Fred - he was not a fan.

Math U See and passionate teachers.  That's what worked for him.

I started youngest kid on MUS.  He hated it and thought it was terrible.  It was not an option for him.  He preferred MEP with all the puzzles, and then picked Right Start for himself with a supplement of Life of Fred, which he sees the real life application of and likes the story. 

Had you asked me a few years ago, I would have said MUS/AoPS.  But the best math curriculum is going to be the one that gets your kid to see the relationship between numbers.  Period.  I think manipulatives aid that considerably for most kids, but not all.  When they can see the relationships they can play more and not be afraid of sticking with the small set of rules they may know.

• Like 3

I am on my 3rd child using Math Mammoth, and I have to say it's been very easy to implement, teaches directly to the student, and has been an excellent elementary math program for our family. My 3rd is in 5th grade this year and doing MM6, he'll move on to AOPS after.  

Edited by SaDonna

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...