Menu

Science- special circumstances

<long story> I am being a homeschool coach to my friend's dd. She's a single working mom, her dd will be homeschooling semi-independently with the help of an au pair, and I am helping as an accountability partner. I will not be doing any one-on-one teaching.

The curriculum is chosen, the only thing not planned is science. She is going into 7th grade. She greatly dislikes science. Our goal is just something to get 'er done, nothing highly involved. I have only ever taught elaborate, self-designed science because it's my favorite. Unfortunately, I have not the time nor energy to do the same for her. My problem is that I am completely unfamiliar with that type of science. 

I would love input on science curriculum that isn't dry, can be self-taught, and is on the lighter side. Thanks!

34 minutes ago, Farrar said:

Christian or secular? Plato is Christian, I'm pretty sure, if it makes a difference.

I'd say it's middle school. Pick a list of interesting books and videos, make a checklist, done.

I think mom might prefer Christian but I'm not sure because kid just came from ps and will be going back, so it probably doesn't matter. My problem is that I don't have time to create a booklist/video checklist. I wish I did, but that's not my role this time. (I just wrapped up 4 years of teaching science with all the bells and whistles, but it doesn't translate well to this circumstance.)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, kand said:

Sonlight/Bookshark science seems very independent. I’ve only used the 5th grade human anatomy/physiology year. Any chance she likes horses? If so, Winter Promise Equine Science could give her a positive science association. And it’s very independent. 

ooh, I kind of forgot about SL and WP. I think those might be great. She's a reader.

10 hours ago, sassenach said:

I can't get past the sample. Does it get more interesting? Do you like it for your kids?

Nope. They are all the same. I mentioned them bc they are self-teaching and on the straight-forward light side.

Fwiw, I am unaware of them being Christian. They are used in ps systems, so that comment surprised me. Edmentum is the owner of Plato Education.

http://www.edmentum.com

• Like 1

Here are some that we have considered for middle school:

ScienceSaurus/Science Daybook - Rainbow Resource sells them with good samples, but the description is better here.
Centripetal Press - standard textbook style from the publishers of Novare science.
The Building Blocks Of Science (Real Science 4 Kids)- I looked through and the teacher's manual didn't seem to be much involved except having the answers and the lab lists.
Elemental Science - Neutral like RS4K, also written to the student.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BetterthanIdeserve said:

You might look into Master Books science. I know a mama who said it was life changing for her family. The kids enjoyed reading it and it had fewer experiments for her to deal with. We are doing Applied Engineering (7th-9th grade) this year. 

Science courses do not have to be experiment-focused. I'll be contrarian and even state that kids don't even need to do "labs" before high school science credits. Families that get a kick out of hands-on and demonstrations thrive on that sort of science approach. But, it does not take yr after yr after yr of elementary and middle school science experiments to master science concepts and inspire future scientists. (Ask my kids. I hate experiments and I dread high school chemistry bc I detest chemistry. Still managed to raise a chemE and a future physicist. ? ). They were exposed to lots of science, but not much school-inspired experimenting.

• Like 3

Uzzingo May work. It’s online, video based with readings, printable worksheets, and digital labs. It’s definitely a “get it done”. My DD used them as a way to get a lot of background content in fairly quickly, and enjoyed them. HSBC sometimes has good deals. 

On 7/29/2018 at 3:38 PM, BetterthanIdeserve said:

You might look into Master Books science. I know a mama who said it was life changing for her family. The kids enjoyed reading it and it had fewer experiments for her to deal with. We are doing Applied Engineering (7th-9th grade) this year. 

I find Masterbooks to be experiment heavy, and they do not sell kits for anything. 

OP - Can the mom afford a video course? Abeka and BJU have video courses. Otherwise, I think a literature based course is a great option if the mom can buy the books ahead of time or make the time to get the at the library.