Menu

Are there banks other than USAA with...

Pen

20 minutes ago, kand said:

When considering options, you might look into where you are able to deposit cash with each bank.  My teen has her only bank account with USAA, and when she is paid or given cash gifts, she has no way to deposit it. It’s otherwise great, and we work around it by writing her a check in exchange for her cash, but I wouldn’t want our only bank to be one with the same issue. 

There are a few USAA ATMs around the country that you can use to deposit cash/checks. She might check to see if there's one near you. 

16 hours ago, ealp2009 said:

We have had good service with Fidelity and we have used them long distance without issue.  

Fidelity seems to be a common bank name. Are there other words like Fidelity Bank and Trust or Fidelity Mutual Or Fidelity of NC and or a main city where it’s corporate office is or other specific identifying info?

16 hours ago, kand said:

When considering options, you might look into where you are able to deposit cash with each bank.  My teen has her only bank account with USAA, and when she is paid or given cash gifts, she has no way to deposit it. It’s otherwise great, and we work around it by writing her a check in exchange for her cash, but I wouldn’t want our only bank to be one with the same issue. 

Thanks for the idea. In our situation, I don’t think large cash gifts or payments in cash are a likely issue to have to deal with  

16 hours ago, BlsdMama said:

I've heard good things about PenFed but then again it's a military bank too.

I will call them on Monday to learn more. Do you know if they require an affiliation with the Pentagon or military to be able to use their credit union?

4 hours ago, Pen said:

Fidelity seems to be a common bank name. Are there other words like Fidelity Bank and Trust or Fidelity Mutual Or Fidelity of NC and or a main city where it’s corporate office is or other specific identifying info?

Sorry about that, Fidelity Investments is what we use.  We have a checking and savings account through them.  Now that I am looking at their website it may not be what you are looking for   We started using it because of a work retirement account through them and now we use it for our banking too   

Www.fidelity.com

• Thanks 1

IF you don't need a bank with physical locations, you might look at internet banks.

We use Ally bank (but not as only bank) and have been happy with them.

we also still use our "old" credit union that is located in Houston. With all the electronic banking options we can do pretty much anything we need remotely. The only thing we had to wait and do in person was closing out some old accounts that we didn't need anymore. And there is some sort of network with credit union ATMs, so we can often use other credit union ATMs for free. 

• Like 1

What do you mean by "user friendly long distance"?  I have been (mostly) happy with Chase bank.  They are nationwide.  They are very accessible.  They are one of the "Big Four" in US banking.  We used them overseas with no problem.  Online banking and things of that sort make things very easy.  Our local branch is very friendly but they are a big corporation. 

• Like 1

I suppose I would check in with a local credit union and ask specifically about the transactions and products you need the most. Most banks and credit unions seem to offer automatic deposit, remote deposit (scanning checks), etc. Our local bank allows us to withdraw cash from any ATM without extra fees. The credit unions here appear to be more customer oriented than banks even though we also use a small, local bank and they are still better than B of A or Wells Fargo.

4 minutes ago, Jean in Newcastle said:

What do you mean by "user friendly long distance"?  I have been (mostly) happy with Chase bank.  They are nationwide.  They are very accessible.  They are one of the "Big Four" in US banking.  We used them overseas with no problem.  Online banking and things of that sort make things very easy.  Our local branch is very friendly but they are a big corporation. 

To start, We need a bank that is willing to do things like mail (e.g., USPS or Fed Ex, but physical long distance send, not email) forms needed to open accounts probably including disabled and elderly family members located in different places at the same time and receive the forms etc back by similar methods.

We need a bank that will not say everyone involved has to “come into a branch” to _______  (fill out forms, sign documents..., withdraw or transfer funds).  

And one person does not have internet access , so being told “just go online” also won’t help  

After opening the account it has to be possible to get help by telephone to make transfers or other things that may need doing. As well as online access   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, City Mouse said:

IF you don't need a bank with physical locations, you might look at internet banks.

We use Ally bank (but not as only bank) and have been happy with them.

we also still use our "old" credit union that is located in Houston. With all the electronic banking options we can do pretty much anything we need remotely. The only thing we had to wait and do in person was closing out some old accounts that we didn't need anymore. And there is some sort of network with credit union ATMs, so we can often use other credit union ATMs for free. 

We don’t need physical locations  I’ll look at Ally and see if it might work  

Not having to do anything in person is a major goal. 

I had a grandmother a) get old and need to be in assisted living; b) die; c) various other things

in a state far from other family members, with a bank that required for anything needed “just come in”.  

“Ummm , you are 3000 miles from me, I cannot just come in” 

“Well, sorry, but our rules require that you come in.”

It was bad enough when I was younger and healthy myself and more able to travel, and had to deal with things like closing accounts at New New York banks in person after moving to the west coast. At this point stuff like that is not feasible. 

1 hour ago, Pen said:

To start, We need a bank that is willing to do things like mail (e.g., USPS or Fed Ex, but physical long distance send, not email) forms needed to open accounts probably including disabled and elderly family members located in different places at the same time and receive the forms etc back by similar methods.

We need a bank that will not say everyone involved has to “come into a branch” to _______  (fill out forms, sign documents..., withdraw or transfer funds).  

And one person does not have internet access , so being told “just go online” also won’t help  

After opening the account it has to be possible to get help by telephone to make transfers or other things that may need doing. As well as online access   

Are you looking for all of these people at multiple locations to be on the same account?  I recently had a situation where I was doing that with Frost bank; Frost had the documents mailed to each person, but each person had to have his signature notarized.   

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, jdahlquist said:

Are you looking for all of these people at multiple locations to be on the same account?  I recently had a situation where I was doing that with Frost bank; Frost had the documents mailed to each person, but each person had to have his signature notarized.   

Yes. 

Everyone having to notarize in his or her location would be fine.

I will look into Frost bank. 

2 hours ago, Pen said:

If one older relative is willing to drive to a city in their part of country that has a Chase branch, Chase may work.  Especially if only the one time physically going in to that city would be needed.