Menu

Best Vacuum for College Dorm

Heathermomster

agreeing to check with dorm if they have ones the students can use and to keep in mind the space.  2 years ago my dd got a bissell 3 n 1 (2 n1 ?) "lightweight corded stick vacuum". It was a dust buster that attached to a stick.  check walmart online for pic. about 20 ish dollars. not that much more than just a regular dust buster.  It was fine for the last 2 years in a small dorm that only needed a small carpeted area once in a while. very little space, behind the door. no worry on charging battery. For all else? she could use swiffer for dusting.   I didn't remember her having or needing it in the "new building" the first years.  Definitely a wait and see item in my opinion.

• Like 2

Is it on the list of things the college suggests your son bring? (Is he a neat freak? Because very few of my kids are likely to use a vacuum or duster on their own initiative.) In my experience & on the limited (!) college tours I've been on w/DD#1, they've told us there is a vacuum the kids can borrow if they need one.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, cbollin said:

2 years ago my dd got a bissell 3 n 1 (2 n1 ?) "lightweight corded stick vacuum". It was a dust buster that attached to a stick.  check walmart online for pic. about 20 ish dollars. not that much more than just a regular dust buster.  It was fine for the last 2 years in a small dorm that only needed a small carpeted area once in a while. very little space, behind the door. no worry on charging battery. 

Dd got one of these too (from Amazon). She has used it for two years as well, dorm first then apartment and it has worked great for her. Ds got a similar one last year when he moved to an apartment and he too was very happy with it. In his dorm, one of his suite mates had a vacuum and he just borrowed that a couple times/year. I'd definitely wait to be sure it is needed for the dorm, then keep an eye out for a cheap stick vacuum if it is. I've seen these for up to $100 at Wal-mart, but both of mine found them for <$25 seeing an eye out for a good deal on Amazon.

• Like 1

DS and his roommate felt that they needed a stick vac, so we purchased a $15 Bissell from Walmart.  We tried it and the vac works great on our hardwood floors.  If the vac takes too much space in their dorm room, I’ll reclaim it.  

Will DS actually use it?  IDK.  Is he a clean freak?  Not by a longshot.    

• 4 months later...