Menu

Mineral sunscreen rave

IfIOnly

I found my HG mineral sunscreen! After doing a bunch of research, I decided to try EltaMd. Using the store locator on the website, I found out that about 10 places sell it near me, mostly derms and facial/spas. I'm using the formula for oily skin and the tinted one. Love it! I may need to go the more moisturizing one in the winter though. The tint is darker than some, but it doesn't look bad on and gives me some coverage which is nice. It's about $35 for what I read is a 5 month supply.

There are a few less expensive brands I want to try but can't find locally yet, like the Australian Gold tinted sunscreen. Our Target is out of it right now. 

https://eltamd.com/sun-care/

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, IfIOnly said:

I found my HG mineral sunscreen! After doing a bunch of research, I decided to try EltaMd. Using the store locator on the website, I found out that about 10 places sell it near me, mostly derms and facial/spas. I'm using the formula for oily skin and the tinted one. Love it! I may need to go the more moisturizing one in the winter though. The tint is darker than some, but it doesn't look bad on and gives me some coverage which is nice. It's about $35 for what I read is a 5 month supply.

There are a few less expensive brands I want to try but can't find locally yet, like the Australian Gold tinted sunscreen. Our Target is out of it right now. 

My Target is always out of Australian Gold too. I got some from Amazon. I love it, but I have fairly dry skin, so YMMV.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, prairiewindmomma said:

I use EltaMD! Check amazon, there is a seller there that sells 2 packs of sunscreen for under $30.

It's soo nice! I'm pretty much drugstore everything for makeup and skincare, but this made me wonder if I've been missing out. Everything about it is so much better than what I've tried from Walmart, Target, Walgreens, etc. 

That's a great price! Some reviews from customers saying the products were knockoffs and not the same quality scared me off from buying from Amazon. I'll have to take a closer look and the different products and sellers and review dates. Thank you!

6 minutes ago, stephensgirls said:

What's the PA or PPD rating? What percent zinc oxide? I'm always interested in good facial sunscreens!

Hm, I haven't heard of those before and had to look them up. The PPD is 15.64. Is that good? 

10 minutes ago, IfIOnly said:

Hm, I haven't heard of those before and had to look them up. The PPD is 15.64. Is that good? 

That's pretty good! Like PA+++  It's a scale that determines how long your skin is protected from tanning. Asian countries use the PA rating. Europe usually uses PDD (persistant pigment darkening). I like to have at least 10% zinc oxide. 

Thanks for sharing!

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, IfIOnly said:

This person says it has a PA++++, so maybe my first source was wrong. This is all too confusing, since I can't find anything official from the company! 

https://simpleskincarescience.com/eltamd-uv-clear-spf-46-review/

Well I'm no expert. PA++++ is really good, but from what I've read, the PPD is a better gauge of protection. I'm not sure why. But either is way--its much better than going by the  spf which only tells you how much protection from uvb rays. The U.S. is behind the times on this and it's so aggravating. If it's a U.S. sunscreen then the PDD is just speculation based on the ingredients, but still helpful.

ETA: She doesn't say where she gets that PA rating, so I'm kinda doubting it based on 9% zinc oxide. The PPD of 15 is good and probably more accurate. I'm adding it to my Pinterest board. It's hard to find a good sunscreen for face, so I'd like to try it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, IfIOnly said:

This person says it has a PA++++, so maybe my first source was wrong. This is all too confusing, since I can't find anything official from the company! 

https://simpleskincarescience.com/eltamd-uv-clear-spf-46-review/

Great blog post, but I have to differ with her on one point. She gives the impression that UVA is only responsible for aging. My understanding is that it is also a major contributing factor to skin cancer. It used to be that the thinking was that only UVB caused cancer. So, I'm wanting to not look older, but I'm also really concerned about melanoma. I'm blonde with blue eyes and plenty of moles. I tan easily, but I try not to these days. That's why I always want to know the PPD rating. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, IfIOnly said:

14 hours ago, Katy said:

My Target is always out of Australian Gold too. I got some from Amazon. I love it, but I have fairly dry skin, so YMMV.

You Australian Gold users, do you get 30 or 50? I thought I read a study that said anything over 30 really isn't any better. Maybe it was over 50? I need to do something because the Rimmel BB cream I use is only 15 and I have gotten some damage this summer. I need to get a wide brimmed hat too, but I want something with far more protection. 

Thanks for this thread!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Angie in VA said:

You Australian Gold users, do you get 30 or 50? I thought I read a study that said anything over 30 really isn't any better. Maybe it was over 50? I need to do something because the Rimmel BB cream I use is only 15 and I have gotten some damage this summer. I need to get a wide brimmed hat too, but I want something with far more protection. 

Thanks for this thread!

I get this one and love it. Before this, I used EltaMD and love it too!

https://www.ulta.com/botanical-spf-50-tinted-face-lotion?productId=xlsImpprod15721087

• Like 2