Menu

Le Creuset—just for fun

mmasc

Tell me your favorite pieces and colors just for fun. ? I bought my first last week at an outlet and chose the enameled covered braiser (3 1/2 qt), mostly for Spanish rice, vegetables, and maybe eggs. I chose Orange Blossom. I like orange and it was an additional half off due to being a discontinued color. 

ETA: this is what it looks like

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Le-Creuset-Orange-Blossom-Cast-Iron-Medium-Braiser-3-5-Qt-30-New-/202334944774

• Like 1

I have that same brasier, but in 5Q size and in light green, and it's my second favorite piece!! SO awesome for so many things! 

My very favorite piece is the big Dutch Oven (I will buy one for every child as a wedding shower gift, if not before, lol). I can't live without it, lol. I think it's 

Next up is the big skillet. Gotta' have a good skillet!

I also love, love the little 2q pot with a lid that is also a skillet. That little lid is PERFECT for a few eggs. However, I don't know what they're called, and I think they've stopped making them AGAIN because I can't find it on their website. My mom had one when I was a kid, and when I went to try to buy one 15 years ago, they were not being manufactured, then they came back, I bought one (maybe 5 years ago), and maybe they're gone again. If you see one, buy it! They are THE BOMB!

I'd say those 4 pieces are all fantastic and would be hard to live without. ? I have a bunch of others that I really like, too, but those are the top 4. (We do cook a lot.)

I like so many colors, so I buy each piece in a different color. ? I love the greens and blues and purples and yellows. ?

I admit I have an excessive amount of le Creuset, but it's been accumulated a piece at a time over the last 20 years. ? I LOVE that stuff and expect my kids to fight over it when I'm dead. When we built a new kitchen (dream kitchen), I had the cabinet maker build me a whole set of upper shelves just to put it up there because all the colors are so pretty. It makes me smile every day. 

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, StephanieZ said:

I have that same brasier, but in 5Q size and in light green, and it's my second favorite piece!! SO awesome for so many things! 

My very favorite piece is the big Dutch Oven (I will buy one for every child as a wedding shower gift, if not before, lol). I can't live without it, lol. I think it's 

Next up is the big skillet. Gotta' have a good skillet!

I also love, love the little 2q pot with a lid that is also a skillet. That little lid is PERFECT for a few eggs. However, I don't know what they're called, and I think they've stopped making them AGAIN because I can't find it on their website. My mom had one when I was a kid, and when I went to try to buy one 15 years ago, they were not being manufactured, then they came back, I bought one (maybe 5 years ago), and maybe they're gone again. If you see one, buy it! They are THE BOMB!

I'd say those 4 pieces are all fantastic and would be hard to live without. ? I have a bunch of others that I really like, too, but those are the top 4. (We do cook a lot.)

I like so many colors, so I buy each piece in a different color. ? I love the greens and blues and purples and yellows. ?

I admit I have an excessive amount of le Creuset, but it's been accumulated a piece at a time over the last 20 years. ? I LOVE that stuff and expect my kids to fight over it when I'm dead. When we built a new kitchen (dream kitchen), I had the cabinet maker build me a whole set of upper shelves just to put it up there because all the colors are so pretty. It makes me smile every day. 

The sales lady did tell me that the 5 qt was one of her all time favorites and sort of encouraged me to consider it instead of the other. BUT, I have a Spanish rice recipe I make almost weekly and just really wanted the perfect size for it, so I chose the 3 1/2 qt. 

I love many of the colors too and will definitely buy different ones. I think the teal is gorgeous and would probably buy it next when I can afford another one. ?

• Like 2

My two favorite Le Creuset pieces are my skillet and my round Dutch oven.  Out of the two, I use the skillet the most.  It is so versatile! I also have an oval dutch oven and a braiser.  I don't use them nearly as much.  I have a salt crock that I use all the time too.  All of my pieces are cherry red.

• Like 1

Does the enamel on Le Creuset chip very easily? I bought a different brand of dutch oven several years ago and it chipped like crazy, which kind of put me off enameled cast iron. 

Assuming it doesn't chip, if I were going to buy one piece of Le Creuset, what would be the most versatile?

• Like 1

I am a ridiculous fan of Le Creuset. We have an outlet mall near us and it is so beautiful to walk around in. Sigh...

I have a 5.5 qrt round in flame but it is a deeper one

I have a normal 5.5 qrt in cherry that I LOVE.

7ish qrt round in cool mint

A braiser in the pink color from last year 

A 3 qrt in mauve 

An 11 qrt round in daffodil...I think that is what it is called. A nice yellow.

4.5 qrt in a baby blue that I cannot remember the actual color name for 

I also have a bunch of cookware in various colors. I use my dutches constantly though. I love each and everyone. I would say we use our bigger ones most often though. I have replaced a number of the handles on them with the Staub animal handles. They are darling.

I actually really want a 13qrt...one of these days I will get one. ?

Not Le Creuset but I have some Staub that I also love. I have a 3 qrt pumpkin and a 3ish qrt tomato which is fun for holiday get togethers. I don't love Staub as much as Le Creuset as they are harder to clean but they have really nice glazing on the paint that makes them pretty to look at. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Corraleno said:

Does the enamel on Le Creuset chip very easily? I bought a different brand of dutch oven several years ago and it chipped like crazy, which kind of put me off enameled cast iron. 

Assuming it doesn't chip, if I were going to buy one piece of Le Creuset, what would be the most versatile?

I would say most people find the 5.5qrt round one of the more versatile. If you aren't constantly cooking large batches then it is perfect. I make beef stew, chili, tenderloins, pulled pork, chicken soup, apple crisp, calico beans, etc in my 5qrt. It is perfectly gorgeous and the food comes out delicious!

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Corraleno said:

It's very, very hard to chip. Mine are used very heavily, and my kids and guests help wash up frequently, and we have stone counters, etc. So far, I've seen one chip on the edge of one of the pots. I can't recall which one. I've had them all for anywhere from 3 to 20 years in heavy use. So, I'd say, NO, they don't chip easily. Pretty much the only thing that will chip that enamel is ANOTHER cast iron pot/lid smacking on it ridiculously hard, I'd guess. Or a hammer, etc.

The round dutch oven in a big size (big enough for a pot roast or a big double batch of soup) is THE size to get if you get just one. My big purple dutch oven is used for pot roasts, soups, stews, chili, baking bread, and probably 20 other things I'm not thinking of. That's THE pot to get if you cook a lot, IMHO. I use it for everything I once used the big stainless steel pot for except boiling water/pasta/things like that. It makes roasts and stews WAY better, too. WAY. I think mine is probably 9 qt, but I'm not positive. It's PERFECT. The Perfect Pot. IMHO. 

They are heavy. That's a downside. Totally worth it, but if you had a disability that would be bothered by the weight, then that could be a problem. 

• Like 3

Ooo, that orange is nice! I have some red, some green, some blue. I can tell you I'm not keen on the blue, not sure why, just wouldn't buy it in blue again. I also have pieces from Lodge, something I picked up at Aldi's (for real), one from Walmart, etc., and they're all nice too. So if pricepoint matters, venture around. 

I have the larger shallow braiser and really like it. I tend to like larger rather than smaller. I have a BIG soup pot of it that is just big when you're down to 3 people. I have one in a happy size that I'm really keen on. I've also shifted to doing long-time things in my Instant Pot. Guess I don't really do much swanky or magical with my enameled cast iron, just cook in it. 

The trick with the weight is to store them in the cupboard beside your stove. I have all draws in lower cabs in my kitchen (no doors), and I built large drawers with glides weighted to accommodate my cast iron so I could keep it all just to the left of the stove. Check what weight your glides are weighted for before you do that, obviously. I have side mount, not undermount glides. 

• Like 2

I would have definitely bought the 5.5 qt Dutch oven instead if I didn’t already have one in another brand. Mine is actually a bit bigger (6?6.5? maybe) but it’s truly an awesome pot. I think someday I might need to upgrade to an LC as mine has some scratches and wear, but it’s still going strong for now. (It’s the Tramontina brand)

47 minutes ago, PeterPan said:

Ooo, that orange is nice! I have some red, some green, some blue. I can tell you I'm not keen on the blue, not sure why, just wouldn't buy it in blue again. I also have pieces from Lodge, something I picked up at Aldi's (for real), one from Walmart, etc., and they're all nice too. So if pricepoint matters, venture around. 

I have the larger shallow braiser and really like it. I tend to like larger rather than smaller. I have a BIG soup pot of it that is just big when you're down to 3 people. I have one in a happy size that I'm really keen on. I've also shifted to doing long-time things in my Instant Pot. Guess I don't really do much swanky or magical with my enameled cast iron, just cook in it. 

The trick with the weight is to store them in the cupboard beside your stove. I have all draws in lower cabs in my kitchen (no doors), and I built large drawers with glides weighted to accommodate my cast iron so I could keep it all just to the left of the stove. Check what weight your glides are weighted for before you do that, obviously. I have side mount, not undermount glides. 

Lodge is surprisingly awesome for their cheaper price. I used to have a gorgeous lodge dutch that was a total work horse but when I got my Le Crueset I gave it to a friend. I still have a lodge green apple shaped dutch that I use for themed occasions. It is awesome and cooks every bit as good as the more expensive brands. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lavender's green said:

I just saw this:

https://www.lecreuset.com/pumpkin-cocotte

Too adorable! And I've been looking for a pumpkin-shaped dish forever. There was a store that had pumpkin soup tureens a few years ago but I didn't have the spare money. That itch has never been scratched, so this baby is going on my Christmas list!

That is super cute! Do you actually cook in it, or is it just for warming/serving?

4 hours ago, lavender's green said:

I just saw this:

https://www.lecreuset.com/pumpkin-cocotte

Too adorable! And I've been looking for a pumpkin-shaped dish forever. There was a store that had pumpkin soup tureens a few years ago but I didn't have the spare money. That itch has never been scratched, so this baby is going on my Christmas list!

I like this one too. It is super cute in person. I saw it at the outlet store last year. I have this one from Staub with these bowls. We use it alot in the fall

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/products/staub-ceramic-pumpkin-cocotte/

I also want to throw out there that William Sonoma has nice pics but it is not the place to buy these. They are way over priced. I got mine on an amazing sale a couple years back on another site. I will try to remember the store and post back.

ETA: this is the place I got mine

https://www.cutleryandmore.com/staub/pumpkin-casserole-p130454?gclid=Cj0KCQjwpvzZBRCbARIsACe8vyJS4YKLxrLoBDZuyiuDH1xeXBWd20H_hmnlC0CnRkr2vve3N5avMkQaAvtlEALw_wcB

They often have both Staub and Le Creuset themed cocottes and if you watch the site carefully they tend to have amazing deals pop up. I ended up getting my pumpkin dutch and 6 pumpkin soup bowls for a total of 189 dollars. I have seen the Le Creuset pumpkin sell quite inexpensively on this site as well. For an even more affordable option, Martha Stewart also had a pumpkin a couple years back that was super cute. Not sure if it is still around. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mmasc said:

That is super cute! Do you actually cook in it, or is it just for warming/serving?

It is an actual dutch you can cook in. The only bummer is it is only about 2ish qrts which is why I ended up going with the Staub pumpkin because it came in 3ish qrts and one that they used to have in a 5qrt size. 

I also want to add, because I just love cookware and Dutch ovens so much, these adorable knobs do in fact fit Le Creuset as well so if you want to give your dutch some unique flare I recommend these. The pic may make them look small but they aren't. They are as big as the typical knobs. I have a cow on my 7qrt and it is so cute. I also have the snail on my 3qrt mauve. It gives it personality ?

https://www.williams-sonoma.com/m/products/staub-animal-knobs/?cm_src=AutoRel

• Like 1