Menu

Paging Dr. Hive. Help!

lexi

So my toddler got super sick last week. Vomiting, Fever, and weird blisters in her diaper area. She was so lethargic. I assumed it was some kind of virus. 

All of my other kids and my hubby got sick. Based on all their symptoms I realized they had hand, foot, and mouth. It has been misery.  

My hubby has the most severe case. His hands are so swollen and blistered they don’t even look like hands. He can barely walk because of the pain in his feet. 

Then he developed a weird and different rash on his face. I took him to the dr who confirmed hand, foot, and mouth and then diagnosed impetigo in his face. 

He’s on antibiotic for that infection. The dr said there wasn’t much he could do about his hands and feet though since it’s viral. 

Does anyone have any suggestions for things I can try? My hubby has been sick since Monday. I have scrubbed and washed everything with bleach. I am putting calamine lotion on hands and feet which does seem to help soothe them a little. I have no idea what to do about the crusty impetigo rash. 

We have never had either of these infections before and I don’t know how to help him or my kids. Another child has just developed impetigo so I’m getting her meds as well. Someone has been sick for over a week and a half. I’m so over this. 

What can I clean? What can I try? What will help with the pain of the blisters or the itchiness of the rash? When will we be well? I’m completely losing my mind. 

We’re washing hands and I’m changing out toothbrushes. I’ve washed towels and sheets and blankets. Bathrooms and kitchens have been cleaned with bleach. 

• Sad 1

Unfortunately it's so contagious it's something that just has to run its course. Once they've had it they'll likely have lifelong immunity. The main thing is to just keep them hydrated and wait it out.  Don't let anyone who is sick leave the house until the blisters are completely healed.

Ugh, that one is awful!  

Aveeno makes an oatmeal bath powder that seemed to help my kids when they had it.

Also, there are varying opinions on how long a person is contagious, to the point of misinformation.  The CDC website says you are contagious for a week or so, though you might be able to pass it on even if you don't get the symptoms!  https://www.cdc.gov/hand-foot-mouth/about/transmission.html  That's not what they told us when the kids had it about 5 years ago - according to the Dr's office then, if you had the blisters, the contagion was already over.  We stayed home due to misery anyway.

I'm sorry.  I wish I lived close to you - I'd leave food on your porch (and run)!

8 minutes ago, Katy said:

Unfortunately it's so contagious it's something that just has to run its course. Once they've had it they'll likely have lifelong immunity. The main thing is to just keep them hydrated and wait it out.  Don't let anyone who is sick leave the house until the blisters are completely healed.

Ugh! This is awful! We’ve been stuck at home for forever. I do nothing but clean and try to help them get comfy enough to nap. 

I’m due any day with a new baby. I don’t know what to do. I’m starting to panic because we can’t get well. 

1 minute ago, lexi said:

Ugh! This is awful! We’ve been stuck at home for forever. I do nothing but clean and try to help them get comfy enough to nap. 

I’m due any day with a new baby. I don’t know what to do. I’m starting to panic because we can’t get well. 

I just checked the Mayo clinic website.  Most people get over it in about 10 days, so chances are you have less than a week left.

Goodness, I hope your family is well before the baby comes. It's orally transmitted, so make sure they all have super good hand washing technique and keep it away from the new baby.

1 minute ago, elroisees said:

Ugh, that one is awful!  

Aveeno makes an oatmeal bath powder that seemed to help my kids when they had it.

Also, there are varying opinions on how long a person is contagious, to the point of misinformation.  The CDC website says you are contagious for a week or so, though you might be able to pass it on even if you don't get the symptoms!  https://www.cdc.gov/hand-foot-mouth/about/transmission.html  That's not what they told us when the kids had it about 5 years ago - according to the Dr's office then, if you had the blisters, the contagion was already over.  We stayed home due to misery anyway.

I'm sorry.  I wish I lived close to you - I'd leave food on your porch (and run)!

Thanks. 

I’m not sure Aveeno is gluten free. We have an allergy - you know- just to make things easier. Maybe I could make my own oatmeal bath with our GF oats. That’s a good idea. 

At least my kids are drinking tons of water. And I’ve been making them smoothies to soothe their throats. That has been helping. 

Just now, Katy said:

I just checked the Mayo clinic website.  Most people get over it in about 10 days, so chances are you have less than a week left.

Goodness, I hope your family is well before the baby comes. It's orally transmitted, so make sure they all have super good hand washing technique and keep it away from the new baby.

My parents came to town to help. I think they are going to quarantine the kids at a hotel with them. 

The timing could not be worse. 

• Sad 1

Calamine makes my skin crack ( just mentioning Incase it is making your DH worse).  

They have a spray that numbs ( name escapes me right now) that was recommended for a friend who had it bad. They had her spray her feet at night.  Any chance he will wear cotton gloves?  If he will, have him coat his hands in a thick lotion and wear the cotton gloves at night. These are what helped her get through this.  

17 minutes ago, itsheresomewhere said:

Calamine makes my skin crack ( just mentioning Incase it is making your DH worse).  

They have a spray that numbs ( name escapes me right now) that was recommended for a friend who had it bad. They had her spray her feet at night.  Any chance he will wear cotton gloves?  If he will, have him coat his hands in a thick lotion and wear the cotton gloves at night. These are what helped her get through this.  

Thanks. If you think of the name of the spray please let me know. 

And I bet he would be willing to try lotion and gloves. We’re pretty desperate at this point. 

39 minutes ago, lexi said:

Thanks. If you think of the name of the spray please let me know. 

And I bet he would be willing to try lotion and gloves. We’re pretty desperate at this point. 

Dermoplast.It is Over the counter and in the first aid aisle of the store.  There is also a bio freeze one her doctor said was ok too.  

11 hours ago, lexi said:

Thanks. 

I’m not sure Aveeno is gluten free. We have an allergy - you know- just to make things easier. Maybe I could make my own oatmeal bath with our GF oats. That’s a good idea. 

At least my kids are drinking tons of water. And I’ve been making them smoothies to soothe their throats. That has been helping. 

Frozen tubes of yogurt were the most soothing for my kids. But any dairy will help. Avoid fruit though, the acid in the fruit can make the sores in the mouth/throat worse. 

5 hours ago, Ktgrok said:

Frozen tubes of yogurt were the most soothing for my kids. But any dairy will help. Avoid fruit though, the acid in the fruit can make the sores in the mouth/throat worse. 

Unfortunately we have severe dairy allergies. We’ve done some coconut yogurt though. No one has sores in their mouth which is a huge blessing. Just on hands and feet although my kids have very few blisters. Their biggest issue is the terrible headache and fever. It’s my hubby who has the severe blisters on hands and feet. And while his throat is red the dr confirmed that he has no blisters there. He’s been eating ice and drinking cold water. But it’s really crazy how tired and lethargic everyone is. 

The diaper rash is mostly clear. So far it’s not impetigo but I’m keeping an eye on it. 

One of my other children has developed impetigo as well so we’re having all kinds of fun. She has started medicine for that. 

My hubby is now able to open his hands all the way. They are incredibly swollen and painful still. I’m hoping that soon he’ll be able to use them a little bit soon and be able to walk without pain. I’m not sure I’ve ever seen him this sick or in this much pain. He hasn’t been able to do anything since Sunday. Tylenol and Motrin aren’t helping at all. 

That really, really sucks.  I just wanted to cheerlead you, you are doing great taking care of everyone!!!  Keep on top of the impetigo, it's no joke and you need to follow antibiotics through the full course.  I have one kid prone to impetigo... he basically gets it every summer from scratching mosquito bites.  I assume he carries the bacteria on his skin... some lucky people do... sigh.  

Keep your legs crossed tight for a few more days so you won't need to quarantine baby!  Best of luck!  This now makes my "everyone came down with pink eye when I was 5 days overdue" story sound less impressive.  ?

• Like 1

Oh, you poor thing. All of this sounds completely miserable! I hope your DH being able to open his hands all the way is a sign that he's on the mend! Sometimes illnesses get better fast after the initial period of awfulness - I'm hoping your DH starts steadily recovering from this point on!!