Menu

Does this exist - geography

We started using Evan Moor Daily Geography 4 this spring. It is not teacher intensive at all. Here is how we do it :

Before the week starts I copy all of the pages for the week. (I fold the 1st page before copying to hide the “answers”.). I staple the pages together and put them in her work drawer. 

On Monday she reads the first page that teaches the topic. She reviews the vocabulary words that are listed, then she answers the 2-3 questions for Monday. Each day after that she answers the daily 2-3 questions. On Friday she turns it in to me, and we discuss briefly. 

That’s it. It takes her an average of 5 - 10 minutes at most each day. 

I really like Memoria Press geography.   We started with the US geography and are now looking forward to Geography 1.   My kids can do it mostly independently (I assign and check).   I have noticed they are really retaining the information because there is so much review and practice scheduled.    That is key when you are trying to commit things to long term memory.  

MP geography is nothing fancy....1) read a short passage about the country, 2)  label blank outline maps, 3)  review, review, review....but it "gets done" and is easy to use.  My kids have ADHD, ASD, and dyslexia, and they have really thrived with MP.  They love the predicatable pattern of the lesson plans, and they find this strange "delight" to knowing the answers when we do recitations and drill.   :)  

There are some mentions of biblical events and early church history, so I would check out the samples to see if it is for you.   For example, when you are reading about the middle east, various mentions to biblical events are recounted.   (See this sample for example of text about Syria .)    

We also use shepherd software to review too.   :)   That is a great option.  I feel it is a little weak when it comes to learning cultural information about the country, but it could easily be supplemented with some library books or youtube videos.    

If you have LOADS of money to spend....because who doesn't...(said sarcastically)---Visualize World Geography is fun and can be done mostly independently.   I still like MP better even though it isn't as "fun" and "fancy" just because of all of the practice/review scheduled.   

• Like 1

VP Legends & Leagues could work. It focuses on regions and teaches a bit of history and culture along with the actual geography. Students reads a little and then answers questions and does map work. It also has answers in the back so it would be easy for your to check answers.