Menu

Job ideas for a young adult with social anxiety?

Suzanne in ABQ

So, someone close to me, a 21 year old young woman, needs to get a summer job.  Problem is, just the thought of making first contact, interviewing, and committing to go to work and deal with people throws her into an anxiety attack.  Actually, just looking at job listings has caused her to hyperventilate and cry on occasion.  She is getting professional help for the anxiety and depression, but she needs a job this summer to help pay for college.  She's filled out several online applications, but can't get herself to walk in and introduce herself.  She was offered a short-term job in a flower shop to help with Mother's Day rush, and she turned it down (even though she worked there pre-Valentine's Day, and did well).  She is a full time college student (just finished her fourth year, but she's not graduating due to changing majors). She functions well in school, but the thought of dealing with the public (either on the phone or in person) throws her into panic mode.

Is there any type of job she could get to earn some money for college while she is working her way over this hump?  As I mentioned, she is getting professional help (a psychologist and her MD).  She's highly functioning, but if she spends too much time alone, she gets depressed, and if she spends too much time with people (even her loving family), she gets overwhelmed.  She's normally very creative, but those desires and ideas have been squelched by her depression.  She has worked at Subway before, and did well, but she doesn't want that level of constant customer interaction now. She would do well in a quiet office setting, I think, or a task oriented job, maybe something she could do at home.

Oh, and she hates programming, though she has learned several languages (C++ and Matlab, to name a couple).  

Any ideas?

Has she also tried a therapist?    That was extremely helpful to me when going through a bout of anxiety/depression   

I do think encouraging behind the scenes jobs might be good for the short term. Dish washing, food prep, stocking, etc.  working from home or online might be good if you can find something.   But on the other hand that also might be isolating.   

Is this your adult child?   I’d be as supportive and hand holding as possible while walking through the process of both dealing with the depression and anxiety and finding a job that is a short term fit.  If she were in my home for the summer I would push hard for her to have a schedule of sorts.   Sleeping, daily outdoor walk/exercise, regular meal times, time spent on job apps.   I’d talk to her gently  about longer post college plans.  

• Like 1

It sounds like getting the job is as much a problem as the job itself?  The best approach seems to me like it would be either to try and get something through someone she knows, or maybe try to get some support around doing the job hunting, to help her manage it.  I'm not sure there are a lot of shortcuts there.  

I have some significant social anxiety myself, and I will say that not all jobs dealing with others were a problem.  It was actually ideal to have a few people I worked with regularly, because quite quickly they became known quantities and it provided some needed interaction.  I didn't even find public interaction a problem if it was very scripted kinds of things - fast food kind of stuff for example.  Working totally alone just doesn't do much to alleviate loneliness.

• Like 2

She might try dog walking, but most places want more than a summer commitment. Cat visits, however, are usually once a day and just short term. Could she develop a profile on Care.com or Rover.com and see if she gets any hits? She would have to meet an owner once, and then just go to an empty house once a day. I usually charge $15 for a 20 minute visit. If she's willing to do overnights (which I can see being stressful, but just throwing it out there), she can charge 50-65 a night in this area; you will have to check normal fees in your area. This involves sleeping at the place, and staying there--usually 6pm to 7pm or some permutation of that. If it's dog sitting, they will need a midday walk, too. 

• Like 1