Menu

Bowel resection surgery and removal of adhesions

Kassia

I will be having this surgery (open, not laparoscopy) in a few weeks and was wondering if anyone has any experience with it.  I don't know what to expect for recovery - what my diet should be, getting back to exercise, when I can drive, how I will feel, etc.  Just wondering if anyone has been through it or know anyone who has.  

My dh has had this.  Hugs to you!  This is certainly no piece of cake.  My dh was in the hospital for 7 days (no food for 4 days) and then recovery at home for weeks afterwards.  I would say it took at 3 months to fully recover.   I would make sure you have plenty of support both physically and emotionally for at least a month.  My Mom is a nurse so that was helpful, but I think no one really knew how serious this surgery was and we both could have used a lot more support with friends and family.  DH had to go in to the office one day after about 2.5 weeks.  He laid on the floor with a pillow and the computer.  It wiped him out for about 3 days.  He drank a lot of limeaid, for some reason that was helpful.  I think soups and broths were helpful.  I think if we had to ever do this again, and we might ? , we would add gelaltin and collagen to the broth for more protein.   The biggest thing I would do is really do whatever it takes to keep your spirits up (can not stress this enough) and your nutrition.  

1 hour ago, Mbelle said:

My dh has had this.  Hugs to you!  This is certainly no piece of cake.  My dh was in the hospital for 7 days (no food for 4 days) and then recovery at home for weeks afterwards.  I would say it took at 3 months to fully recover.   I would make sure you have plenty of support both physically and emotionally for at least a month.  My Mom is a nurse so that was helpful, but I think no one really knew how serious this surgery was and we both could have used a lot more support with friends and family.  DH had to go in to the office one day after about 2.5 weeks.  He laid on the floor with a pillow and the computer.  It wiped him out for about 3 days.  He drank a lot of limeaid, for some reason that was helpful.  I think soups and broths were helpful.  I think if we had to ever do this again, and we might ? , we would add gelaltin and collagen to the broth for more protein.   The biggest thing I would do is really do whatever it takes to keep your spirits up (can not stress this enough) and your nutrition.  

Thank you so much!  My surgeon did tell me I'd be in the hospital for 6-7 days but hasn't given me much information about recovery when I go home and I have no idea what to expect.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, texasmom33 said:

I don’t have any advice, just wanted to say (((Hugs))) Kassia. I’ll be praying for you. 

Thank you!  You've been so supportive throughout this ordeal!  

1 hour ago, onelittlemonkey said:

Don’t know if this is the same thing, but dh has twice had surgery to remove part of his colon and they had to resection/reroute things down there.   Both times, hospital stay was one full week and out of work for one full month.   Once home, he was very sore, but by the third week, he was feeling better, not well, but better.  It’s a *major* surgery, so expect pain and don’t hesitate to take the meds you need. No lifting and I wouldn’t consider any excersise until at least a month, and then I’d just walk, until I could be very sure my insides were totally healed. 

(((Hugs))) and prayers and for a speedy recovery and an uneventful surgery! 

Thank you!  

23 minutes ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

I had a bowel resection (done emergent) many years ago.  I was in the hospital 9 days.   I am positive (as is my dr) that I am full of adhesion's, but thankfully I have no pain.  However any abdominal surgery (including colonoscopy) is super high risk and I should avoid if at all possible.

I wish you good luck and quick healing.  Please let us know how you are doing when you are able.

I had a total obstruction last year and avoided emergency surgery.  I am full of adhesions so the surgeon is going to take care of those (hopefully) with the resection.  

Thanks for the good wishes!  It's been a long road and very tough physically and emotionally (and financially).  I have been trying to convince my doctor for almost a year that I need to have the surgery and recover before our vacation to Mexico in order to prevent another obstruction.  He finally realized a few weeks ago that I need this surgery ASAP and insisted I have the surgery immediately, but my surgeon said it was too risky to have the surgery right before vacation (we leave in a week).  When I told my GI doctor that we are postponing surgery until I return from Mexico he freaked out and told me he doesn't want me to go because it's too dangerous due to the high risk of obstruction.  So frustrating - this is what I've been telling him since last August!  

4 minutes ago, peacelovehomeschooling said:

Oh my gosh, I do hope your trip is fun and you do not get another obstruction.  Why in the world they didn't listen to you last August I have no idea.  I will be thinking about you. 

Thank you so much!  

My GI doctor is super nice but I don't know if I would have been better off with another doctor who would have been more aggressive at the start.  On top of everything else, I had met my very high deductible/out of pocket costs last year when I had the obstruction so the surgery wouldn't have cost me anything.  Now I have to start all over again with medical expenses in addition to worrying constantly about another obstruction and the fear of leaving the country against my doctor's professional advice.  It's all very upsetting.  

I'm a nurse on a floor that specializes in this. So here's what we do.  I'm assuming he's given you instructions for a complete clean out and liquid type diet before surgery to empty the bowel, reduce inflammation, and reduce the chance of infection during surgery. 

During the stay, it is usually a week to 10 days.  You may have a tube in your nose after surgery to keep the stomach empty, a pain control pump for your pain, and nothing to eat or drink for a few days.  Iv fluids and iv antibiotics and we do CHG wipes for infection control instead of a bath for 5 days. They typically want bowel sounds before letting you have clears, then full liquids, and then soft food.  Usually a day or two on each diet. Depending on what they did and what condition your intestines where in, you may get stuck on one of those diets and go home on that for a week to 10 days before moving to the next level.  You may have a colostomy depending on condition and how much was removed and how well the bowel could take stitching.  Sometimes, the colostomy is done and then reversed in a few months when the bowel is stronger. Other times, it's not needed. You may have a Jackson pratt drain in place and that might go home with you as well to be removed in office the next week.  Typically, no driving while on pain meds and we teach no driving till you can slam on the brake without hurting yourself.  Usually a weight lifting limit like 10 lbs for several weeks.  Staple removal in office typically a week after discharge.  A soft diet usually for several weeks.

They will want you up and moving on day 1 or 2 of surgery.  You will hurt.  We aren't keeping you from having pain but helping you to function with pain.   Walking will be reccomended.  No motions that crossthe midline (like sweeping, vacuuming)  because it stresses the incision and can weaken it.  Activity will be gradually to resume it.   Some find motrin/tylenol work better than narcotics when discharged, so ask if those are okay for you to take.  At least 6-8 weeks of recovery after discharge.

Biggest thing I hear from patients is not understanding that this is going to hurt and we can't keep it from hurting. You don't realize how much you use your core muscles until they are cut on.  So a deep breath will hurt.  A sneeze, cough, moving will hurt.  We have ways to move that will minimize the pain and will give some pretty strong pain meds but patients are still shocked by the pain. Sorry!  

I wish you a speedy recovery and no speed bumps!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Supertechmom said:

I'm a nurse on a floor that specializes in this. So here's what we do. 

Thank you so much for this information!  It is very helpful.  Do you mind if I pm you with a question?

My surgeon gave me this tentative schedule:  Surgery on Friday, ng tube comes out Sunday, epidural comes out Monday, catheter comes out twelve hours after the epidural.  Before the surgery, I have three days of clear liquids.  The first day is similar to colonoscopy prep (Dulcolax/Miralax), the second day I drink a bottle of mag citrate, the third day I just take antibiotics.  Other than that, he really didn't tell me anything.

Best wishes for your surgery and recovery. I would be pretty upset that you could have done this last year at no additional cost to you. Boo! But lots of people never have the surgery- my mom had multiple complete blockages and couldn’t get a doc to do the surgery. They just kept saying well we’ll wait and see if it resolves, and it did, but kept happening. So I am happy that you’re having the surgery...hugs to you. 

My mom had a similar surgery for a complete blockage last summer. She is in her 80's, so her recovery was extra slow. Plus she was ill with this blockage and unable to have solid food for months before the surgery. She has had no complications and gained weight and strength quickly  when she could have real food again. and got through a round of pt.  I'd say Mbelle's estimate of 3 months for a full recovery is pretty close if you are otherwise healthy. Definitely make plans for house help, meals, driving etc. Plan more help than you think you will need! 

Gentle hugs and best wishes for a successful surgery! 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kassia said:

Thank you so much for this information!  It is very helpful.  Do you mind if I pm you with a question?

My surgeon gave me this tentative schedule:  Surgery on Friday, ng tube comes out Sunday, epidural comes out Monday, catheter comes out twelve hours after the epidural.  Before the surgery, I have three days of clear liquids.  The first day is similar to colonoscopy prep (Dulcolax/Miralax), the second day I drink a bottle of mag citrate, the third day I just take antibiotics.  Other than that, he really didn't tell me anything.

Sure you can PM me.  We don't use epidurals so I can't speak to that.  I will say most doctors don't tell you a lot as they leave the discharge instructions to the nurses.  Ive even heard docs say oh your nurse will cover everything you need to know!  They just give us general stuff like soft diet, no lifting, activity as tolerated, follow up in a week.  LOL!  We flesh all the rest out!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, ScoutTN said:
3 hours ago, Annie G said:

my mom had multiple complete blockages and couldn’t get a doc to do the surgery. They just kept saying well we’ll wait and see if it resolves, and it did, but kept happening. So I am happy that you’re having the surgery...hugs to you. 

That's awful and scary about your mom!  My GI doctor originally told me I couldn't have the surgery until I had one more blockage, and then it would be done for sure.  The reason he didn't want to do it was because he didn't want me to go through surgery if I wasn't going to have another blockage for a long time.  He said "it could be tomorrow, it could be fifteen years."  Of course, now that I have the surgery scheduled, I am feeling really good - better than I have in a long time - and I am questioning whether I really need to go through with it. 

• Like 1