Menu

Do you have a good desk solution?

Liz CA

If there are two adults regularly doing work from home, what kind of desk combination / arrangement would work? Right now I have an L-shaped desk and - I am sorry to say - it is cluttered with work material, books "I will read soon," and more. Dh just gets his stuff out of his bag onto the kitchen table which is a large harvest type table. 

If we took the space where my L-shaped desk is right and put two desks there facing each other (not as deep as my current one perhaps), there would be room for chairs (and it would force me to have less clutter).  Please help me brainstorm. Kudos if you can link or post pics.  :biggrin: 

think vertical.

bookcases on walls.  you can put letter trays on the shelves and get them off your desk.

an outgoing 'mail folder' on the wall near the door  so whomever is on their way to the post office can mail it.

• Like 1

I can't believe it but I actually signed on Pinterest just to look at desks...

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/56998751506733854/   This is the type of arrangement I was thinking of, perhaps different styles.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/133841420150052516/   similar here. I looked at IKEA online but have not found a whole lot that would work.

• Like 2

I have a long narrow desk from IKEA. I like that I can spread out the piles but it's not deep enough to really clutter. For two people, my ideal is desks side by side. I don't really like facing people when I work. If space allowed, it would be nice to have one long section divided by an "l"in the center in case you needed to work together. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/276619602090674176/

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Patty Joanna said:

How often do you have guests?   I’m about THIS FAR from paying for a hotel for the 10 nights a year we have guests. 

I’m  still recovering from losing my 3x amount of space for office and hobby.  Dh got the biggest bedroom for his space and I got 1/3 the space I had.   So when ds moves out, that room becomes the guest room (for now) because the light is poorer for photography and arts stuff.  It will relieve the well organized but taut organization in my current space.  

And then maybe each space can start to emerge past pure function and start to have a little beauty as well.  

Our son visits every holiday from out of state and hotels in our little town may be booked up fast around that time but I have never considered it. I do enjoy though having friends over and being able to offer the guest room if needed.

My high schooler and I have desks that face each other, like in your first pinterest links.  Next to the desks are bookcases where we can store stuff.  DS's desk has lots of drawers, but I mostly use the bookcases (my desk doesn't have drawers.) 

I sit in a wingback chair and he sits in a sturdy wooden chair with a pillow on it.  The desks aren't huge, but they work for us.  I suppose you just need to find desks/chairs that'll fit in your place, and maybe some skinny bookcases for extra stuff.  

• Like 2

dd and dsil do have a dedicated office in their house.   they have one huge l shaped desk. (dsil has the corner)   dd has one "wing". she uses a laptop so she doens't need as much space. but they have file cabinets at each end, and the other "wing" has printers/etc.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Liz CA said:

I can't believe it but I actually signed on Pinterest just to look at desks...

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/56998751506733854/   This is the type of arrangement I was thinking of, perhaps different styles.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/133841420150052516/   similar here. I looked at IKEA online but have not found a whole lot that would work.

When my DH was in medical school and I was a graduate student, this was the set-up we had. Our desks were fairly large, and we had tons of books on a wall of bookshelves. It worked out great. The whole thing was located in the second bedroom of our tiny apartment. 

• Like 1

I have a fitdesk next to some shelving.  (The shelving holds personal files.)  Mostly I just use the fitdesk.  With only about 6" x 10" of desk space next to my computer, there is little temptation to pile junk there.  I tuck away my "books I'm going to read" etc. into shelves in nooks so they don't look like clutter.

In the unusual event that I need more space, I can use a table somewhere else in the house.  I also have a small foldup table in case I ever need it - it folds up smaller than a briefcase - but honestly I have only used it like once in 5 years.

Is there really a need for either or both of you to spread out on a desk every day?  If limiting space would force you to file stuff more often, isn't that a good thing?

• Like 1