Menu

If your dc is a 9th grader now, when will s/he take Pre ACT?

My son took the PLAN, which is what the PreACT was called several years ago, at the end of 10th grade because it was offered by the high school he was attending.  I found it to be valuable because it made it clear that he was going to do much better on the ACT than the SAT (he also took the PSAT).  I am against taking the real exams (SAT or ACT) for "practice."

My dd#2 is a freshman this year. She won't take the Pre-ACT or the PSAT. My dd#3 will likely take the PSAT as a sophomore and again as a junior (if her sophomore score shows she might be in the running for National Merit). When the PLAN (pre-act) used to have a scholarship associated with it, it was worth taking. Since it doesn't anymore, I have no interest. They can take plenty of practice tests at home for free.

• Like 1

My freshmen took the Pre-ACT at school in January.  I don't necessarily take it as an indication of how they will perform on the real one, though they'll be required to take a real one as juniors anyway.  Their PSAT 8/9 scores last year in 8th gr were better, I think, though I haven't seen their Pre-ACT percentiles, so I'm just guessing (I expect the SAT to be a better fit for them due to speed issues).

I don't think it's worth bothering with the Pre-ACT.  Just take a full practice ACT when it gets closer to junior yr.

Edited by wapiti

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/23/2018 at 4:20 PM, JadeOrchidSong said:

Taking Pre ACT is a prerequisite for dual enrollment. That is why ds will need to take it.

Is that a (high) school requirement? I've never heard of the Pre- version being required. The real ACT or SAT, sure. But, the pre-version, no. More often, the college requires Accuplacer or one of the other placement tests. (I can't think of the other names right now, but there are a few others. Some require specific math placement through ALEKS, maybe?)

On 4/3/2018 at 12:29 PM, RootAnn said:

Is that a (high) school requirement? I've never heard of the Pre- version being required. The real ACT or SAT, sure. But, the pre-version, no. More often, the college requires Accuplacer or one of the other placement tests. (I can't think of the other names right now, but there are a few others. Some require specific math placement through ALEKS, maybe?)

No, not a high school requirement, but required for dual enrollment.