Menu

job update and ???

bettyandbob

if you've read my past posts you know my job situation has gotten very unpleasant since Jan. I did talk to my supervisor's supervisor about hostile work environment. He was a little surprised that I had so many instances documented and tied directly to the definition. He was nice. And I was feeling positive that things were going to improve for 5 days. Then there was a new low at the beginning of this week and it was time to start adding to my documentation and think about the next step with HR. 

As I went back down that hole, I got called about a job I interviewed for weeks ago (first and second interviews). I was given an OK offer (absolute top of the pay scale for that place, but less than similar positions elsewhere). I was not expecting them to top out their payscale to make an offer. I decided to accept it. There are a lot of negatives. And I don't have the written agreement yet. And they told me once I get the written agreement they still take weeks to process. So, I'm not telling my current work. My current work is sending me to a training in a couple of days. 

I'd love to leave my current supervisor with the parting gift of turning over my hostile work environment documentation to HR. That seems vindictive. I don't think I'll do that, but I sort of wish I could. 

I have an open application with my own agency for a better job than the one I verbally accepted. If I get an interview, do I follow through with it. What if I do well at the interview and get an offer. This job wouldn't have me with my current supervisor at all. Is it unethical to accept the job one place and then if I hear back after I'm supposed to start this job say sorry and take the better job. (I do know I am supposed to make the interview list, so this hypothetical stuff isn't way out and I do know my current supervisor issues will have no affect on the application process--that is something I looked into carefully). 

I'm not going to turn down the written offer coming and hope I do well in the interview process. That's crazy in my current situation.

So, some people tell me it's just business and even when you take a new job, you keep interviewing and you go with the better job when it comes, even if that means not staying in a position long at all. I think younger people do this all the time. But when I was young you took a job and were supposed to stay a year before looking around again. 

Another wrinkle is my neighbor is the person who gave me the verbal offer. He would not be my direct supervisor, but if I skipped out I think running into him at the local pool this summer will be a little odd. 

Good problems to consider. I feel so much better that I'm not stuck with this woman being awful to me. 

Anyway what's current thinking on the ethics of accepting positions while still having applications open elsewhere.  (Yes, I'll check the fine print and see if signing requires me to close my open application, but besides that...)

I am sorry about your troubles.

I consider it unethical to accept an offer and then back out when something better comes along. Continuing to apply and interview and receiving multiple offers is fine, before one accepts an offer.

Somebody who works at the career center of a university told me that any student who backs out of an accepted offer is banned from recruiting through the university because it is considered unethical there, too.

Also, word does get around; people talk to each other. Having the reputation of not being true to one's word is not good.

Edited by regentrude

If it were me, I would want to get as far away from current supervisor as possible because they could hypothetically transfer to my department at any time. I would also turn over all documentation to HR on my way out the door because hostile supervisor needs a reality check on what is or is not accrptable behavior or it will continue.

For that matter - why don't you go to HR right now? In the weeks until you switch to to the new job, you could be helping your current agency rid themselves of a cancerous growth.

Edited by fraidycat
  • Like 5

A year at any job you accept?  That seems very rigid.  Life is too short to spend a year a sucky job especially by the time you are middle age like me.  I would more so encourage my 18 year old to stick it out at a job he didn't like because of youth and inexperience.  For you though?  No.  

If I read correctly you have not signed an official offer right?  So a verbal accept is no more binding than their verbal offer.  I don't think it would be wrong to change your mind, again especially at your age. Because it is true word gets around and if you were 20 and just starting your career you would want to be more careful.

That being said I agree with fraidy-cat that I would want to take the job far away from the current situation.

And I also would turn documentation into HR on my way out the door.

Until you have a signed offer, you're free to interview anywhere you like. Until you have that written offer, you just don't know if it will actually happen. (I hope it does, congratulations!)

I'd continue interviewing for the better position at your current work, but when the written offer for the other job comes, take that and move on.  I'm not totally opposed to accepting a job and then turning it down later for a better offer, but it would have to be a much better offer. 

As far as handing over documentation to HR if you leave, I think you should! They should know about the problems and try to fix them. I don't think that's vindictive - you'll be helping the next person who has your job. Nobody should be forced to work in a hostile environment. 

• Like 3

I would also report to HR your issues while leaving (some places have an exit interview or survey).

I would let the new job know that I need the written offer documentation ASAP if you get a call for old job interview and maybe explain you have other job opportunities and need to see the offer so you can withdraw other applications. Unless the written offer is way different than your understanding of the position, I’d accept it as valid even without all the signatures and weeks to process. Once I had the paper offer and it looked good/signed, I’d withdraw my application from old job position, and when everything was processed, give a resignation.

I’m sorry your old job stunk.

My advice is based on the new position at old job not being processed either for weeks to months. I wouldn’t accept a new position at old location unless you think it will be many months before the new job will begin. Unless to get away from your supervisor you need to get out now. Then, all bets are off (IDK what is happening so I can’t advise on leaving ASAP).

I agree with others to go ahead and turn in the paperwork to HR now to spare your coworkers and whoever replaces you from the same situation. My current supervisor is a toxic person who has been in the position for 30 years because people just quit and say nothing. (Another reason I am happy to be leaving my current job. I am letting HR know about the situation during my exit interview.) Also agree with others that it’s probably better to accept the new job and just get out of where you currently are. I have had a job situation the past where I was very happy to get away from a certain person, only to have that person transferred into the new area I was working a couple years later. I don’t think it’s the best thing to accept an offer and then back out....sometimes there are good reasons to do so....I wouldn’t define it as unethical, but would need a good reason to back out.

Mmm ... I don't know about unethical.   Plenty of companies lay off people who've been employed with them for very short or long periods of time without regards to their loyalty.  I actually did this once as a young professional.  I took a job with a company who COMPLETELY misrepresented the job to me.  I was only working there 3 weeks but it was absolutely not a fit for my education or expertise.  I was then offered a much better job by a company who I interviewed with in the same time frame who was just slower to come through with a much better financial and job offer.  I took it.  I had zero regrets about it - it was a really good move in all ways.  Yes, that employer was mad but I had excellent references in other corners and I had evidence that job was really misrepresented to me.  I was a software engineering and they had me cutting and pasting HTML.  I can see cases where it would be wrong, but I do think there are reasons to do it too.   It was not my first job after college graduation so I see where that would be more difficult.  At the time I was working in tech and recruiters were calling me several times a week.  It was a hot time in the tech industry and job hopping was not uncommon. 

In your current situation, do you have a hard deadline to accept the offer?  Could you ask for 2-3 weeks?  Could you let the 2nd interview know you have an offer on the table and you need to move quickly?  I also did this kind of wheeling in my day. 

I would absolutely turn your paper work into HR.  Consider it a favor to other people in the office. 

It is not unethical to accept an offer then change your mind, think about the ramifications if every one who said "sure that sounds doable" then had to do it no matter what.  This is your life and future and I'm sorry but you have to be thinking of that first.

It is expected, at least in DH's work sphere (Industrial maintenance/engineering)  that if something better comes along (before first day of new job) a prospective employee will let you know what their new offer is and give you the opportunity to meet it or pass.  As for the neighbor, I can't imagine a reasonable person would begrudge you better pay/hours/ promotions etc...  Now I do think it matters if you've started the job and they've actually invested $$$ into training and such. But still you have to do what is best for you.  Like PP said companies lay people off with little care or concern to how long they've been there or what their personal situation is.