Menu

Math thoughts

lulalu

Math has been my struggle to figure out. Ds will be in 1st next fall. My goal is to pick a program to use throughout elementary. I have to buy several years worth at a time unless I can get digital curriculum.

This year we stuck with Miquon orange. I LOVE Miquon! We have RS games, and many other games that involve math. Ds has loved using games and has so many facts down through playing them. I also have Singapore CWP and IP for 1st that we are working through at a quick speed.

I bought the addition lessons from Math Mammoth to try out the program. It is too easy for ds. I like the material, but I am not loving it. It is just so-so. Maybe because it is too easy?

Anyways, I have felt like I need something to use with Miquon. Maybe because it is so different I don't feel it is enough. I don't know. I have looked at so many programs. As I look at the 1st grade levels it looks like he has covered and mastered most of the topics taught. So maybe Miquon and games is working better than I thought.

Which leads me to my question, how do you decide if a program is enough by itself? How do you pick a program or decide to just cover early elementary on you own? Is a program really needed?

For those that have used bits and pieces of programs what have you used and why? Has it worked out?

Miquon for hands on, independent, and variety of math problems

Singapore for scope and sequence

Process Skills and CWP for word problems

LoF for variety of topics and fun

BA for standard problems and fun

RS Activities for mental math and games for speed

Times Tales, Prodigy, Mathtacular, living books, games, etc for introduction of topics or practice

I just tried a bunch of stuff and picked out what worked well for us. DS is also very quick in math so we have lots of time to use so many resources.

• Like 2

My math girl 5 is finding Horizon K easy.

She rejected flash cards a few months ago but now wants them so she can practice by herself add/sub.

She also enjoys YouTube videos on it.

She picks up concepts really fast.

I also use Ray's Arithmetic for the basics.

• Like 1

Math has been my struggle to figure out. Ds will be in 1st next fall. My goal is to pick a program to use throughout elementary. I have to buy several years worth at a time unless I can get digital curriculum.

This year we stuck with Miquon orange. I LOVE Miquon! We have RS games, and many other games that involve math. Ds has loved using games and has so many facts down through playing them. I also have Singapore CWP and IP for 1st that we are working through at a quick speed.

I bought the addition lessons from Math Mammoth to try out the program. It is too easy for ds. I like the material, but I am not loving it. It is just so-so. Maybe because it is too easy?

Anyways, I have felt like I need something to use with Miquon. Maybe because it is so different I don't feel it is enough. I don't know. I have looked at so many programs. As I look at the 1st grade levels it looks like he has covered and mastered most of the topics taught. So maybe Miquon and games is working better than I thought.

Which leads me to my question, how do you decide if a program is enough by itself? How do you pick a program or decide to just cover early elementary on you own? Is a program really needed?

For those that have used bits and pieces of programs what have you used and why? Has it worked out?

The only thing that *might* need to be added to Miquon is something to teach basic arithmetic facts. Otherwise, it is complete. Many children are able to go into Saxon's Math 54 when they complete all six Miquon books (and that's two books per year).

I cannot bear the thought of juggling multiple products and methods for one subject, so for me, there's going to be one.thing.for.math. :-) And knowing that, I'm going to choose those products which I know are comprehensive, rather than products which focus on one concept.

No, it is possible that you don't actually need a formal "program." I have always found this article interesting (notice that there are three parts) and actually, it's kind of how it worked for us. My dc never finished any arithmetic/math until they were high school age and taking classes at the community college

• Like 2

The only thing that *might* need to be added to Miquon is something to teach basic arithmetic facts. Otherwise, it is complete. Many children are able to go into Saxon's Math 54 when they complete all six Miquon books (and that's two books per year).

I cannot bear the thought of juggling multiple products and methods for one subject, so for me, there's going to be one.thing.for.math. :-) And knowing that, I'm going to choose those products which I know are comprehensive, rather than products which focus on one concept.

No, it is possible that you don't actually need a formal "program." I have always found this article interesting (notice that there are three parts) and actually, it's kind of how it worked for us. My dc never finished any arithmetic/math until they were high school age and taking classes at the community college

Wow! That article is so good. Now I just need to find the guts to be so counter cultural! 😃

• Like 1

I get a lot of ebooks from your major publishers like Teacher Created, Carson-Dellosa, Evan Moor, etc. They have brain teaser books, fast finisher books, word problem books, all sorts of things to challenge my ds. We roll pretty eclectically because of his disabilities (and abilities). It sounds like you've got a spine that is working (Miquon), so you just want to continue to add things that create the full, well-rounded experience you're wanting. Maybe also look at living math books, Hands-On Equations, apps for math, that kind of thing. Definitely drop the whole grade level worry thing. If he's completed the "grade 1" tasks for a series, move on to their grade 2. My ds will be doing a wide range of grade levels of material in a year. I just buy each thing at the level that fits him. 

It's not counter-cultural so much as just good teaching. :)  Make your vision for what you want it to look like and fearlessly make it happen. 

Using the Standards: Measurement Workbook Grade 2 | Carson-Dellosa Publishing  this is a series I've been enjoying with my ds. Might not fit yours, but it's just fun to snoop around and find things you didn't realize were out there.

SaveSave

Edited by PeterPan
  • Like 1

A program is enough if it provides challenge and engages my kid where they are at (or if it meets the above when accelerated).

We used Miquon with Singapore only in K for two of my kids. With one we added in some RS (subitizing, games, base ten). Then oldest got Singapore and middle got Singapore until 3rd when she started BA. With one child his first math was RS B then BA until half way through 5th (outpaced books) and then Singapore. My kids used DreamBox in parallel with whatever arithmetic they were in.

Doing MORE curricula wasnt the solution for us to a curriculum not challenging a child. I chose something challenging as the core, and “spot treat†where needed to deepening concepts.

• Like 1