Menu

If you had an 8th grader whose grammar was strong, but writing wasn't,

Require daily journaling...write WHATEVER for a set time a day...you'll be amazed what 6 weeks of that will do...also I have to say I love Jump In to Writing by Apologia..it's basic enough to help you organize your thoughts and put it into essay form with good suggestions...

Also getting your hands on "A" essays...various private schools will publish these for their students which are usually online at the faculty section...but the 5 minutes of non-stop writing, they can write..."I hate to write" if the like, but after a few of those you'll find them writing about other topics and their ideas will start flowing.

Tara

My 9th grader is using it this year. We had been using Writing Strands and Put That In Writing, but he struggled so to do well. Jump In is for the junior high kid or a high schooler who struggles to write. The 1st chapter is on Apologia's website, and you can print it out and see if it is a "fit." My son really likes it because it tells you exactly what you need to know and how to write. I give this program an A++ at this point--we are not quite half way through the book.

Jean

They cover interviews, scientific reports, more sophisticated papers on books, 5 para papers, and a few other things; in other words, the stuff you need for high school. They are very much like each other. You can do one, and then if you need extra practice, do the other. The trick to WS is to absorb the formula and then keep practising it. It doesn't work (at least it didn't work for us) to make those assignments the only writing you do. We had to keep using the various types of writing we had learned for other book reports or scientific reports or history or whatever. Writing Strands was a nice lead-in to great books for us, but I also did a few other things, like Format Writing, which is rather awful but did exactly what I wanted it to.

-Nan

Here's a strange suggestion, and I'm not sure it will work, but I'll tell it to you anyway.

I didn't go to college, went straight to work. After a few years, I got promoted to be the trainer. I had to write training manuals on how to do things at an insurance company. The manuals had to be EXACTLY correct and VERY logical so that all the other people in the company could open the book and properly do what they needed to do.

THEN, after I had kids and quit work, I took a couple of college classes and you wouldn't BELIEVE how beautifully I could write a college paper! My thoughts were wonderfully organized and easy to follow.

Start having him write training manuals for around the house. Have him write step-by-step how to do laundry, or make a bed, or program a VCR. Then you follow his instructions to the letter. It could be fun seeing if he forgot any important steps. This could be a tool to help his mind learn how to organize his writing by following logical steps and building ideas on top of each other.

And also, buy a curriculum to support this. My idea is just for fun to help him on the side.

Oh, and I also revised my training manuals and college papers a good 5 times before the final version. That's a big part of writing! Let him know his first two versions will probably stink, but after revising they'll get better.

Edited by Garga_
too wordy