Menu

Welsh words for St David's Day

Laura Corin

Oh, no. Bewildering. I have both Welsh and Scottish Gaelic speaking ancestors, but these languages do not come naturally. I am glad that Welsh is still pretty commonly spoken, isn't it?

Maybe I'll just buy some leeks or daffodils? Or get out my copy of the Welsh version of Peter Rabbit for kids to look at?

Oh, no. Bewildering. I have both Welsh and Scottish Gaelic speaking ancestors, but these languages do not come naturally. I am glad that Welsh is still pretty commonly spoken, isn't it?

It is in West and North Wales. Edited by Laura Corin
  • Like 2

It is in West and North Wales.

My inlaws are Welsh.  They've told me the language is dying out and more people are speaking English.

My parents in North West Wales go days on end without speaking English.

Well, my only connection now is that I recently watched the series, The Indian Doctor. Lots of Welsh, but it took place in 1960's.

I hope the language survives and thrives.

I’m Welsh (but 3rd generation in America - so we’ve been here a while). We still have family over in Merthyr Tydfil. The language is not spoken by everyone, but it’s definitely still spoken and I don’t think it’s dying anytime soon. I am trying to learn it on duolingo currently & it’s pretty cool!

Funny off topic welsh-ish story... I brought welsh cakes to a Christmas cookie exchange once. I thought I was doing them a favor by sharing my favorite cookie in the world. The only person that liked them was my English co-worker, lol. They weren’t a big hit. It is my husband’s favorite cookie too though... it was a sign to me that he was the “oneâ€. :-)

• Like 3

Well, my only connection now is that I recently watched the series, The Indian Doctor. Lots of Welsh, but it took place in 1960's.

I hope the language survives and thrives.

Have you watched Hinterland?  They have it available in both English and Welsh.   Except I can only get the English version here in America.  Maybe Youtube has it in Welsh.  

It's one of my favorite detective series.  The female detective is also in The Indian Doctor

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2575968/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Edited by PrincessMommy
  • Like 2

Have you watched Hinterland? They have it available in both English and Welsh. Except I can only get the English version here in America. Maybe Youtube has it in Welsh.

It's one of my favorite detective series. The female detective is also in The Indian Doctor

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2575968/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

OMG, no, I haven't watched this. I will look for it -- I love mysteries. Two that I enjoyed were Shetland and Loch Ness. Shetland has the most sense of place.

• Like 1

I’m Welsh (but 3rd generation in America - so we’ve been here a while). We still have family over in Merthyr Tydfil. The language is not spoken by everyone, but it’s definitely still spoken and I don’t think it’s dying anytime soon. I am trying to learn it on duolingo currently & it’s pretty cool!

Funny off topic welsh-ish story... I brought welsh cakes to a Christmas cookie exchange once. I thought I was doing them a favor by sharing my favorite cookie in the world. The only person that liked them was my English co-worker, lol. They weren’t a big hit. It is my husband’s favorite cookie too though... it was a sign to me that he was the “oneâ€. :-)

Recipe or hint of a recipe? I'd like to make cawl sometime too.

One branch of our family settled in PA in late 17th-early 18th century. We actually visited the house they lived in, sort of. When the house was first preserved, dating was not vey accurate. The preservationists tore down a little shed at the side of the house. Turns out the house was lived in by later German settlers, while the 'shed' was our ancestral home, lol. The shed has since been reconstructed.

The curator told us that they would likely have spoken Welsh rather than English, even after many years here. But a little difficult to tell with certainty, as they did not seem to have been skilled at writing.

Edited by Alessandra

OMG, no, I haven't watched this. I will look for it -- I love mysteries. Two that I enjoyed were Shetland and Loch Ness. Shetland has the most sense of place.

I loved Shetland too.  Hinterland is darker than Shetland.

Have you watched detective series Vera with Brenda Blethyn?  So good.  By the same author as the Shetland books.  I love Vera.  I'm reading the series now.  The show seems quite faithful.

I have not heard of Loch Ness.  Will definitely look into it.  Thanks!

• Like 1

One branch of our family settled in PA in late 17th-early 18th century. We actually visited the house they lived in, sort of. When the house was first preserved, dating was not vey accurate. The preservationists tore down a little shed at the side of the house. Turns out the house was lived in by later German settlers, while the 'shed' was our ancestral home, lol. The shed has since been reconstructed.

The curator told us that they would likely have spoken Welsh rather than English, even after many years here. But a little difficult to tell with certainty, as they did not seem to have been skilled at writing.

My family settled in PA too! Scranton to be exact. It’s crazy because when I was in Merthyr Tydfil visiting family it really reminded me of Scranton. I imagined my great-grandfather thought so too. He was a coal miner in Wales & a coal miner in PA too. The area my family lived in Scranton was a welsh neighborhood & they have a place for language classes there.

Someone upthread asked for a recipe. I just texted my mom for it & she’s going to send it to me when she gets home. I’ll post it then ðŸ‘ðŸ»

• Like 2

My family settled in PA too! Scranton to be exact. It’s crazy because when I was in Merthyr Tydfil visiting family it really reminded me of Scranton. I imagined my great-grandfather thought so too. He was a coal miner in Wales & a coal miner in PA too. The area my family lived in Scranton was a welsh neighborhood & they have a place for language classes there.

Someone upthread asked for a recipe. I just texted my mom for it & she’s going to send it to me when she gets home. I’ll post it then ðŸ‘ðŸ»

Here is where they were:

http://www.morganloghouse.org

Weavers and blacksmiths, for several generations. One person would do both weaving and smithing.

I had no idea until I started doing serious genealogy.

Recipe or hint of a recipe? I'd like to make cawl sometime too.

From my mom:

Welsh cookies

7 cups flour

2 and a half cups sugar

3 eggs beaten

2teaspoons salt

3 teaspoons nutmeg

6 teaspoons baking powder

1 lb lard

1 1/2 cups of currants or golden raisins

3/4 cup milk

Combine flour, sugar, salt baking powder, nutmeg together. Cut in lard. Add raisins and milk, add beaten eggs.mix thoroughly & cook on griddle about five minutes a side or until golden brown.

350 degrees

In Wales they often dust with sugar, but we do not.

Edited by mytwomonkeys
  • Like 3

From my mom:

Welsh cookies

7 cups flour

2 and a half cups sugar

3 eggs beaten

2teaspoons salt

3 teaspoons nutmeg

6 teaspoons baking powder

1 lb lard

1 1/2 cups of currants or golden raisins

3/4 cup milk

Combine flour, sugar, salt baking powder, nutmeg together. Cut in lard. Add raisins and milk, add beaten eggs.mix thoroughly & cook on griddle about five minutes a side or until golden brown.

350 degrees

In Wales they often dust with sugar, but we do not.

Thank you. I love rather plain, not oversweetened baked goods. I haven't had much experience cooking with lard, although I have some recipes that add a bit for flaky pastry.

Welsh cookies are my absolute favorite in the world. That looks like our family recipe, too. If only I could adapt for gluten free. For me. Gluten, dairy and egg free for DS - I just can’t imagine that working. Such a bummer.

DS’s name is Welsh. :) Americanized, but still.

At a Welsh festival once, a man recognized that that side of my family is from PA, based on the cookie recipe.