Menu

concealer advice?

HollyDay

I'm on the search again for a concealer that will hide my dark circles.  I've tried drugstore brands and beauty shop brands.  Either they make it look worse (settles in the creases) or they break me out.  So, I'm asking the Hive for concealer advice.  I'm over 50 and have mostly normal/dry, slightly sensitive skin (prior to menopause, my skin was normal/oily and not overly sensitive).  I wear either Fenty Beauty Foundation or Estee Lauder Double Wear. 

Suggestions??

Have you experimented with color correcting? I put a tiny bit of pink/peach lipstick in that area. This cancels out the color of the dark circles so much that I need very little concealer to brighten the area. My dark circles are greatly reduced and there isn’t much product on my face to settle anywhere.

• Like 2

Eye lift from Trish McEvoy is amazing. I’d never heard of this brand until I walked into Nordstrom a few weeks ago and sat down for a makeover. I went to the MAC counter and after I told the lady there what I was looking for, she took me to the Trish McEvoy counter. Overall I am pleased with their products, although they are really pricey.

http://www.trishmcevoy.com/p-208-instant-eye-lift.aspx

Edited by TechWife
  • Like 1

I never had good luck with undereye concealer, but after my teen daughter showed me the right way to put it on, I was convinced me to try again. I absolutely LOVE Bare Minerals Stroke of Light concealer. It's one of my makeup splurges. Dd showed me how to just pat it on, in an upside down triangle under my eye, not too close to the lash line, and I also had the woman at the makeup store find the right color and apply it for me. I'm in my 50s, and I don't have any trouble with it caking into my wrinkles. And it doesn't show in sunlight.

• Like 1

To hijack a bit....

I've tried some of these toned color correctors, but the problem is I'm also as white as a corpse. So it ends up looking rather clown like on me. Any suggestions for that?!

I’m pale as well, and by pale I mean I’ve been asked by more than one person if I’m albino (yup, albino with dark hair...). I use NARS chantilly concealer. I think some people use it as a highlighter, but it’s the only concealer that doesn’t look dark or orange or yellow on me. It goes on great and lasts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I love this lady's skincare and makeup reviews! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIYDPpJLEck&t=27s. Her blog is called Hot and Flashy (haha) and she really is thorough and tries both drugstore and makeup counter products.

I'm linking a review from about a year ago that she did of just undereye concealers but she has more recent suggestions, too. I'm almost 50 and have dark circles and fine, crepey skin under my eyes but her suggestions have really helped me to find some products that work well on my skin.  Hope you find something that works for you! :)

• Like 3

I’m pale as well, and by pale I mean I’ve been asked by more than one person if I’m albino (yup, albino with dark hair...). I use NARS chantilly concealer. I think some people use it as a highlighter, but it’s the only concealer that doesn’t look dark or orange or yellow on me. It goes on great and lasts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

holy expensive!

Do they sell sample sizes?  Or give out samples do you know?

I watched a video about a month ago from a gal at IT cosmetics. I, too, have the settling issue because I’m 51. Anyway, after you pack on eye cream, she recommended going over your whole eye with foundation, then using concealer on just the lower eyebone up into the corner of your eyes. It’s amazing. My mascara doesn’t rub onto my lower eyelids anymore and it covers completely. I use Tarte Shape tape. It’s a very large bottle for the price.

Edited by Shelly in IL