Menu

Tamiflu and antivirals...

EMS83

I recall it coming up recently.  One of mine is sick with I'm not sure what yet.  We're a just-be-sick family.  No flu shots, no flu tests, Tamiflu hadn't crossed my mind, honestly.  If it's obviously viral, we just stay home and rest, stay fluid-filled, and take Vitamin C (and now monolaurin).  Just wait it out.  Good hygiene, etc.  None of us are at risk for complications, afaik.  

But a relative has suggested the Tamiflu route.  Sounds great!  Catch it early, greatly reduce severity and length of infection...  But could it be like antibiotics except with antivirals, where overuse could contribute to diminishing returns and eventually resistant strains?

My dd got the flu recently... verified at the dr by a swab. But even before she went to the dr, at the first sign of being sick, she took lots of elderberry, C, zinc, echinacea, and some oscillicoccinum for good measure. She was flat out in bed for a day with a fever. The next day she felt quite a bit better but still went to the dr in the morning, got the swab, and they did give her Tamiflu, as she does have some underlying concerns. But as soon as she took it, she got sick to her stomach and vomited 5 times in 1.5 hours (most common side effect is nausea and vomiting). But she also felt like she might be having an allergic reaction and of course couldn't keep any antihistamines down, so we went to ER. it did end up passing in another few hours... but in her case the Tamiflu just made her sicker and I think taking all the immune support was what kept the flu down - she felt much better again once the Tamiflu reaction wore off.

Edited by Matryoshka
  • Like 2

I got tamiflu for my son last year.  He got the flu on a Sunday and was scheduled to take the ACT the following Saturday and I was hoping he would be ok for that.  Well, nope, he was still sick until the following Tuesday 9 days later.  So I wouldn't bother again for at least a regular human.

We have had great luck with elderberry over here.  We try to get the vax too. 

• Like 1

We have all had tamiflu here. And other times we have had the flu and no tamiflu,

We have two compromised immune systems here, one with severe asthma on top. And one who develops asthma when sick. Flu can turn into a six week illness for the severe asthmatic, and we’ve feared for him before. So we do tamiflu for him.

The others of us generally don't do tamiflu. DH and I don’t like it, and prefer to just have an extra, what, two days of symptoms. DD - if we catch it in time, and the ped recommends it, we can go either way,

I worry about resistance, but our doc is careful about only Rxing it with a positive test, and in the appropriate timeframe.

ETA: my compromised immune peeps have all had the A and B combo, and have even had Flu A, B, and strep at the same time. So - really sick. :(

Edited by Spryte
  • Like 1

Black elderberry family here-- the syrup not the tablets.

There are serious medical studies/research that compare it to Tamiflu-- it does not have the side effects, it is MUCH cheaper AND proven to be just as effective!

We take a spoonful of black elderberry syrup at the first sign of a cold/flu. 

We can purchase it at our local pharmacy (mom and pop).

I have friends who order the berries and make their own--

• Like 2

I work in pharmacy.

I have asked 6 pharmacist this year, if they would take or recommend Tamiflu to a non-compromised, non-high risk family member. 

Every one of them said no because it only shortens it a day or so, and the chance of side effects is high,

I have a prescription on file for Tamiflu in the pharmacy for my daughter with significant health issues, but none of the rest of us. We will fill it only if we need it and only with a swab confirming the actual flu.  A normal cold will put her in bed for days, the flu could result in hospitalization for her.

• Like 3

We have all had tamiflu here. And other times we have had the flu and no tamiflu,

We have two compromised immune systems here, one with severe asthma on top. And one who develops asthma when sick. Flu can turn into a six week illness for the severe asthmatic, and we’ve feared for him before. So we do tamiflu for him.

The others of us generally don't do tamiflu. DH and I don’t like it, and prefer to just have an extra, what, two days of symptoms. DD - if we catch it in time, and the ped recommends it, we can go either way,

I worry about resistance, but our doc is careful about only Rxing it with a positive test, and in the appropriate timeframe.

ETA: my compromised immune peeps have all had the A and B combo, and have even had Flu A, B, and strep at the same time. So - really sick. :(

If you don't mind my asking why don't you like it? Taste? How it makes you feel?

Edited by connib

My nephew had some scary side effects from Tamiflu.  He was pretty little and it seems little kids get worse side effects.

My husband took Tamiflu once.  Positive flu test.  Started it within 24 hours of symptoms.  He was all better about 48 hours later.

• Like 1

Thanks y'all!!  And texasmama, I got all those links pulled.  It might take me a while to read them, though!!

I have to order the syrup; I was able to get a spray (elderberry & echinacea).  Is there a limit to number of doses/day?  Doesn't say on the bottle. 

If you don't mind my asking why don't you like it? Taste? How it makes you feel?

Well, the taste of the liquid form is pretty bad, according to the kids. :P

But, really, I worry about possible side effects. I’ve read horror stories (anecdotal) and have read the pharmaceutical pamphlet.

For our immune compromised kid with asthma, I think it’s worth the risk. Maybe for me, too, as even a cold can land me in hospital (I have Addison’s, among other things). I usually don’t get to the doc in time to get diagnosed though.

For DH and DD, I tend to think/hope they can ride it out.

So I guess I don’t think it’s worth the risk in an otherwise healthy person, just to shorten symptoms by a short time.

But in someone who has complications likely - much more worthwhile.

• Like 1

Well, the taste of the liquid form is pretty bad, according to the kids. :p

But, really, I worry about possible side effects. I’ve read horror stories (anecdotal) and have read the pharmaceutical pamphlet.

For our immune compromised kid with asthma, I think it’s worth the risk. Maybe for me, too, as even a cold can land me in hospital (I have Addison’s, among other things). I usually don’t get to the doc in time to get diagnosed though.

For DH and DD, I tend to think/hope they can ride it out.

So I guess I don’t think it’s worth the risk in an otherwise healthy person, just to shorten symptoms by a short time.

But in someone who has complications likely - much more worthwhile.

Thank you for taking the time to answer.

• Like 1