Menu

Homemade instant oatmeal flavor combos?

IfIOnly

I bought dry roasted and unsalted hazelnuts at TJ's to try something new with our hm oatmeal packets but am not sure how to use them. Do you have any ideas?

Also, I'd love some new flavor combs to try, if you have any suggestions! We eat these for breakfasts several days a week and snacks, and anytime someone doesn't want a meal if made, they're welcome to make a bowl of oatmeal or PBJ or whatever else is easy and doesn't make a mess.

I'm willing to purchase more items but have in the house:

dried peaches

dried bananas

dried orange slices

dried cranberries

raisins

chocolate chips and cocoa powder

frozen blueberries and strawberries (added after cooking, strawberries are grated frozen into hot oatmeal)

whole hazelnuts, walnuts baking pieces, almonds (slices and slivers)

TJ's was out of their dried apple and apricots on my last trip.

Edited by IfIOnly

Our favorite is oats with a tsp of chia seeds, a tsp of brown sugar, and about a Tbs of TJ’s unsulfured/unsweetened shredded coconut.

Oh, interesting. We have lots of chia seeds left from trying chia seed pudding and not loving it. Do you add them for the flavor or texture? Nutritional value?

Oh, interesting. We have lots of chia seeds left from trying chia seed pudding and not loving it. Do you add them for the flavor or texture? Nutritional value?

Mostly for texture and nutritional value. My son especially likes them. We actually make cold oats with the above recipe. I add 1/2 cup oats and a 1/2 cup milk to the ‘recipe’ I posted above. Then it sits in the fridge overnight and we eat it cold. Oddly enough, nobody in my house likes hot oatmeal!

FWIW, we didn’t like chia seed pudding. :)

• Like 1

We add whatever we have...combinations of chia or other seeds, fresh fruit, dried fruit, homemade nut butter, nuts of all sorts, unsweetened coconut flakes, cacao nibs, etc... If we are traveling and have limited access to other stuff then a crumbled Larabar will work, too. 

• Like 1

Two of my favorites:

Microwave a small sweet potato, peel, and mash in the bowl OR add about 1/4 c. pumpkin puree + cinnamon, ginger, tiny hint of cloves, cocoa (or not) and chopped apple.

Cocoa and frozen berries: blueberry +/or raspberry. Sometimes I add banana to it.

• Like 1

We do applesauce, cinnamon, and banana.

We also do dried strawberries (or other berries or peaches), with a spoonful of brown sugar, and just a drizzle of half and half on top.  The half and half makes it taste decadent.    If I do peaches, I add a tiny bit of cinnamon.

My one son likes a spoonful of peanut butter with chocolate chips or bananas.  He's the only one who likes PB in his oatmeal.  Nobody liked the PBFit or whatever the powdered stuff is called.

• Like 1