Menu

Facebook being creepy again.

dirty ethel rackham

On Facebook, I responded to a local.moms request for I formation and support for her child with chronic constipation. No, I didn't research outside links or anything. The next time I went back in, Facebook juxtapositioned this post with one from an acquaintance who jokingly posted a pic of a toilet seat with a scale to tell how much weight you lose with a bowel movement. From last week. No new activity on that post. And it's a guy who doesn't know any of these women from this mom's group. Scratching my head at this algorithm.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

FB figured out that someone I know was pregnant before she had told anyone aside from her husband and showed her an ad for a crib. Now she had bought pregnancy tests off of Amazon a few weeks earlier but how did FB know that she had gotten a positive? CREEPY!

They didn’t. It’s just playing on likelihood given her purchases and it’s probably through third party cookies - http://www.ravelrumba.com/blog/third-party-cookies/

• Like 1

I started getting all these diabetes ads basically as soon as I’d been told to start testing due to early signs of LADA. I hadn’t even told anyone yet other than family, definitely not on FB, but I had started researching what this means. Definitely creepy.

this is what happens when you don't 'clean' your browsers, if you google while signed in to a google account,  and when you surf while logged in to fb, even if you don't have it open in a browser. 

I use Click&Clean to scrub my browser. I also run the FBPurity extension which strips advertising from facebook and reduces how much fb can mess with the feed. 

• Like 7

this is what happens when you don't 'clean' your browsers, if you google while signed in to a google account,  and when you surf while logged in to fb, even if you don't have it open in a browser. 

I use Click&Clean to scrub my browser. I also run the FBPurity extension which strips advertising from facebook and reduces how much fb can mess with the feed. 

This. I am religious about logging out of Google and FB when surfing.

• Like 1