Menu

Should I Worry?

lexi

My dog ate at least part of a Quest protein bar this morning. She may have eaten all of it.

She’s thrown up and had diarrhea. I’ve made sure she has plenty of water to stay hydrated.

She’s been acting fine all day and has been her playful self. But tonight she seems to be panting quite a bit.

Should I worry? Is there anything I should do for her?

She’s a 7 pound Pomeranian who can apparently get into absolutely everything in my house. This dog is nuts!

And yes the bar had chocolate.

Last month she ate a piece of chocolate pumpkin bread that one of my Little’s dropped on the floor. She grabbed it and ran and no one could catch her. She had diarrhea for a day but was ok after that.

She eats everything! Argh!

Does it have xylitol? Some sweeteners are deadly to dogs, even in tiny amounts, so check the sweeteners and Google.

It doesn't look like it does. I don't see it listed anywhere. 

I read about xylitol and dogs and it says symptoms show up within 10-30 minutes. She has none of the symptoms. And she would have eaten this bar hours and hours ago. So I think it's not that. 

• Like 2

I would call your vet and ask. Panting can be a sign of pain in dogs.

She crawled up in my lap and got in my face which is her way of telling me she has to go outside. I let her out and she shot downstairs to the yard. I'm guessing she still has diarrhea. Now that she's back inside after going potty she is acting better and is curled up in her bed. I'm going to keep watching her and letting her outside frequently. She's going to be the death of me. She's worse than my toddler. 

• Like 2

https://www.petmd.com/dog/chocolate-toxicity

You can find charts on-line that can help you figure out whether or not to call the vet depending on size of the dog and type/amount of chocolate consumed. Your dog sounds tiny (I have a Lab)so if you can guessimate how much chocolate was in the item that was consumed, you can call the vet. Our vet had us give our Lab a tablespoon of hydrogen peroxide to make him vomit the time he ate dd's entire 8 oz chocolate bar. When he did not do so, he had to go in to the vet and have her make him vomit (the HP itself is not good for dogs, but usually makes them toss their cookies).

Edited by JFSinIL

I'd need to know all of the ingredients before I could render an opinion!

The chocolate wouldn't overly concern me. It's baker's chocolate that's most troublesome, and I kind of doubt that's what was in the bar? Plus even for such a small dog my *guess* is that there wouldn't have been enough chocolate in it to cause a problem. But then I don't really know what a Quest bar is or how much one weighs (or how much of it she ate), so take my opinion FWIW.

Edited by Pawz4me
  • Like 1

She crawled up in my lap and got in my face which is her way of telling me she has to go outside. I let her out and she shot downstairs to the yard. I'm guessing she still has diarrhea. Now that she's back inside after going potty she is acting better and is curled up in her bed. I'm going to keep watching her and letting her outside frequently. She's going to be the death of me. She's worse than my toddler. 

She'll probably be feeling much better tomorrow, poor thing!

I know what you mean about dogs being worse than toddlers. Three of our dogs got ahold of one of those Hot Hands hand warmer packets (it must have fallen out of someone's coat pocket) and ripped it open all over the floor. Of course this happened at night, so I had to call the on-call vet. He said that since hand warmers contain iron, we needed to give all three dogs hydrogen peroxide to make them throw up. That was quite an ordeal and quite a mess! I've banned hand warmers from my house ever since! 

Thanks everyone.

She seems better. I took her out again at 2 am. She’s acting more like herself though.

I know she’s already vomited twice. Got to clean the carpets.

I’ll watch her today and see what she does.

• Like 1