Menu

4th grade science?

JennyD

My 4th grader loved Mystery Science in 3rd grade (as did I!) but is complaining that it's "too young" for him now.  We've done most of the units geared for older kids, so it's a fair criticism.  But now I have to find something else for science.

We do a lot of schoolwork out of the house so I'm looking for something that we can use even if we don't always have a lot of materials available.  (Mystery Science was really ideal in this regard -- most of the activities required so little in the way of materials that I could just pack up what we'd need for the unit and bring it along.)     

I tried several units of Ellen McHenry with my oldest and just never felt the love.  Same for BFSU.  Any other suggestions?  Oh, also has to be completely secular.  

Thanks for any and all ideas!

Edited by JennyD

In 4th we did Noeo, which was okay, but I wouldn't recommend most of the labs in the box.  They pale in comparison to BFSU and Mystery Science.

Our plan with this kid is to bounce between BFSU and MS through middle school, but I've also considered getting something like this Natural Science Mysteries , RS4K, or Moving Beyond The Page science units.

I also still have this in the back of my mind, but no reviews on it: Sciencesaurus/Science Daybook bundle.

• Like 1

We are using Mr. Q this year. We did physical science the first semester and are now doing chemistry. I schedule in Brain Pop, Bill Nye, Crash Course Kids, etc. Previously we did a textbook a year (that surveyed all branches of science) but I wanted to go more in-depth, and these are the two disciplines that I think get the short stick in the textbooks.

• Like 1