Menu

s/o (sort of) internet security - speakers for phone that don't listen

EmilyGF

I have a Bose speaker I like. I don't think it listens to me when I'm using it; if something is listening, it's more likely my android. (I think if you have "Ok, Google" activated, it gives Google permission to listen all the time.) I turn the speaker off when I'm not using it.

We bought these wonderboom speakers for dd for Christmas. They came 2 in a package from Costco and can be connected, so she can use them in different places in her house.

We have Oonz , iHome and Sharper Image brand bluetooth speakers.  They all work really good.

If you have the money and want great sound, go with Bose.  Otherwise just pick one from Amazon that has good reviews. If I was going to buy another, I would probably go with the Oontz because the sound is good an it is non descript, blending in the surroundings easily (tiny power light and small).

I got this Emie speaker to use in the kitchen - my home away from bed, just because it is pretty and minimalist. Love it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01B6ISUU6/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513267595&sr=8-1-spons&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=emie+speaker&psc=1#nav-search-keywords

If you need something for on-the-go this one looks super cute:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01LWI1U47/ref=sxts_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1513267727&sr=1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65

Bluetooth speakers typically aren't smart enough to "listen" You need software and a microphone for that.

Edited by SusanC

So.....speakers don't listen. Speakers only go one way. You need a microphone of some kind to listen. It's two different processes. One sends. One receives. One cannot do both.

Most all phones, tablet, computers, etc. are equipped with both speakers and microphones (ever so small!). 

If it "listens" to you, or has the capability of voice activation of any kind, then it has a microphone somewhere on it. Even bluetooth speakers would need a microphone to "listen" and send what it hears back to through bluetooth to your device.

So in other words, all you need are speakers that don't have a microphone (and are not voice activated.) There are TONS available.

I really like this one: https://www.amazon.com/Lugulake-Aluminum-Portable-Bluetooth-Playtime-Silver/dp/B00FGR5XNQ/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1513271835&sr=8-3&keywords=bluetooth+speaker+stand

• Like 5

We have a number of iHome Bluetooth speakers. They cost around $20, very compact. They light up and change colors when playing, then fold up to size of hockey puck when not in use.

We do have a JBL Flip for more serious music, but honestly we use the iHome speakers more, because they are so small and convenient.

As pp said, they don't hear you. Ds does have a Bluetooth device that both hears and speaks, but never uses it.

Edited by Alessandra

In my kitchen I have a set of old computer speakers hooked up to a small bluetooth device.  I plug in the device to the wall outlet, then plug the speakers into the device (just like you would have plugged the speakers into  a computer).  It even has  a USB port I can use to charge the phone.  Similar devices are around $10 on eBay and Amazon.  In other words, you don't need special bluetooth speakers; one of these devices will make any simple computer speakers into bluetooth ones.  (The speakers are powered through the input cord.)