Menu

Mammograms?

I just turned 40 in October, and I know when I go for my yearly check up my doctor is going to tell me I need to start getting mammograms. I trust her judgment, but... on the other hand, I've read some disturbing things about them. And I don't like the idea of irradiating my breasts on a regular basis. So I'm just wondering, how many of you do and how many don't? What are your reasons for deciding one way or another? Do the benefits outweigh the risks?:confused:

at 55 i get mine yearly. just did it last week as a matter of fact.

i have had a number of women in my circle diagnosed with breast cancer. their uniform message to women around them is to get a mammogram - find it early. yes, the benefits of early detection definitely outweigh the risks. if you are fortunate enough to have health insurance, getting a mammogram is a no-brainer. the hospital i go to here has it down to a streamlined science; i swear i've never spent more than 30 minutes there from signing in at the receptionist desk to driving out the hospital parking structure.

I just turned 40, too. My cardiologist has been nagging me for the last few years to start getting mammograms. After reading a lot of differing viewpoints and reviewing what science there is, I've decided that for the time being, I'm not going to have one. I'm due to see him in December and I know we're going to have a confrontation, but I don't really care.

I'm about at the age where they're recommended. I have every intention of doing them. My grandma died of breat cancer, it spread through her whole body. This was back in the 70s before they were able to detect these things. If they had mammograms back then maybe she could've lived longer.

And obviously, cancer is in my genetic make up, so I will be at that machine having odd things done to my mammary glands as often as recommended.

I agree with Deidre, early detection can be a life saver.

Just my 2 cents.

at 55 i get mine yearly. just did it last week as a matter of fact.

i have had a number of women in my circle diagnosed with breast cancer. their uniform message to women around them is to get a mammogram - find it early. yes, the benefits of early detection definitely outweigh the risks. if you are fortunate enough to have health insurance, getting a mammogram is a no-brainer. the hospital i go to here has it down to a streamlined science; i swear i've never spent more than 30 minutes there from signing in at the receptionist desk to driving out the hospital parking structure.

:iagree: ...even though it was not a mammogram that initially discovered my breast cancer. I had a mammogram three years ago that showed nothing. I discovered the lump on my own weeks ago. I *wish* that I would have had one every year however, because the lump is pretty big. Maybe they would have caught it a year or two earlier, because then I'd have less chance of facing radiation or chemo besides a mastectomy.

a breast cancer scare beginning in early July and culminating in September with the removal of suspicious tissue (sort of a lumpectomy, but these were microscopic particles). The good news is it wasn't cancer, but even if it had been, the fact that it was found when it was so small would have made recovery that much quicker and easier. I may not even had to have radiation (not to mention chemo).

My surgeon told me that once you can feel a lump that the cancer has already been in your body 8-10 years! That means it could have been spreading for that amount of time, too, and been depositing "microscopic particles" elsewhere, like your liver or lungs, waiting to ambush you. Don't put it off, get your mammogram. It could save your life and let your dc keep their mother!

As always, just my $.02.

I don't have to think about it for another five years. I'm not sure if I will bother with them or not because my risk is lower.

I've had three children so far and have breastfed for six years. According to studies my risk is reduced 7% for each child and 4.3% for each year breastfeeding. That works out to be 46.8% reduced risk for me. And I'm not necessarily done having children or breastfeeding so my risk may still go down more. Plus no one in my family has had it, I don't smoke, don't drink much alcohol, etc.

The following are not judgments or scare tactics., just thoughts that go through my mind.....

I'm scared of radiation going directy into my breasts. I'm afraid of not getting a mammogram and finding a lump in late stage.

I read that a mammogram has no more radiation than a dental x-ray. I read that it depends on how you calculate radiation and such statements are deceptive.

I read studies that give statistics that say my breastfeeding is making a big difference. I read other studies that say it only makes a marginal difference.

I think I don't have to worry about it for another few years. A friend of mine is diagnosed at 30 something.

I do my self-exam every month. A new study says they don't make a difference in survival rates.

My doctor does my breast exam annually, but the new directive from the ACOG says to be gentle, so as not to spread possible existing cancer. A naturalist points out to me that a mammogram plate will squish my breast tissue much harder than my doctor ever did.

I know someone whose life was probably saved by mammogram. I don't know for sure what annual radiation is doing to others.

It is hard, but I have to gather my information and make the best decision I can. I'm afraid to do it, I'm afraid not to.

I just turned 40 in October, and I know when I go for my yearly check up my doctor is going to tell me I need to start getting mammograms. I trust her judgment, but... on the other hand, I've read some disturbing things about them. And I don't like the idea of irradiating my breasts on a regular basis. So I'm just wondering, how many of you do and how many don't? What are your reasons for deciding one way or another? Do the benefits outweigh the risks?:confused:

I just did not want to go. No reason but this year at 40 I decided to get all my bloodwork, mammo and everything else done and over with. That's my reason I wanted to get it over with. So I did everything. It really did not hurt much however, some women have more tender or dense tissue that does cause more discomfort. Benefits would be peace of mind, you will be glad to check mammo off your list of tests you know you need to do.

I'm almost 44 and I get them done every 2 years at this point but will probably get them more frequently in the future. Since mammograms seem to be the best method of detection at this point, I'm choosing to get them. I will say it gives me peace of mind when I get the results saying "all clear".

I don't have to think about it for another five years. I'm not sure if I will bother with them or not because my risk is lower.

I've had three children so far and have breastfed for six years. According to studies my risk is reduced 7% for each child and 4.3% for each year breastfeeding. That works out to be 46.8% reduced risk for me. And I'm not necessarily done having children or breastfeeding so my risk may still go down more. Plus no one in my family has had it, I don't smoke, don't drink much alcohol, etc.

Yeah. Right. It would be nice to be able to count on this. My doctor told me that 80% (? I think the number was that high) of women diagnosed with breast cancer don't have any risk factors.

I got diagnosed with breast cancer at age 32. I breastfed 3 children for a total of 42 months. My body was darn good at it too. I took the Pill for a total of 3 months, and never took any other hormones. My children were all born before age 30. Good thing too; otherwise I never would have had them. I'm LDS and never drank alcohol. Didn't drink diet soda regularly either. No family history. And a golf-ball sized lump popped up 2 months after having a clinical breast exam from a doctor (where, thankfully, he taught me how to do my own breast self exam. I'm sure the lump wasn't there two months prior, because I checked it myself. Otherwise I would have thought the doctor wasn't doing his job.)

What risk factors did I have? I had two benign lumps in my 20s. I was around 20 lbs overweight at the time of my diagnosis.

Yes, I know there are exceptions to everything, and life often isn't fair. But I wouldn't be lulled into a false sense of security because of breastfeeding history.

That said, mammograms for premenopausal women are not that effective in finding cancer, since the breasts of women that age are denser and that makes it harder to find the cancer. That's why there is the controversy about starting at age 40 versus age 50. The studies say to start at age 50, but as I understand it women's health groups didn't like that. So to give the appearance of doing something about it, some groups recommend starting mammograms at age 40.

What really is necessary is a breast cancer screening that works for younger women. Women under 40 with breast cancer is not all that uncommon, and it's deadlier at younger ages because the cancer tends to be more aggressive. So far I've been very lucky. If there was anything that I would like breast cancer research money to go towards,it would be coming up with an safe, effective and affordable screening method for young women.

What would I do if, you know, I still had breasts and didn't have a breast cancer history? I would have one baseline mammogram at age 40, just so you can have a record of what everything looks like now. Then I would probably start with annual mammograms at age 50. The new digital mammograms use a fraction of the radiation that the old mammograms used, and they didn't use all that much either. Why wouldn't I get annual mammograms in my 40s? Because I'm cheap and because the studies say that they don't really work. If I were worried about cancer, I would have mammograms more often.

DH's cousin hadn't had one... no insurance. SHe'd been seeing a chiropractor for some back issues - but finally was bedridden and her Mom hauled her to the hospital (she was also in an abusive relationship).

Turns out her breast cancer has spread to her spine. They can't remove the tumor or too much - it's much too advanced. She is VERY small chested and never felt a lump...

I have 2 other friends undergoing treatment for BC. On is in her early 40's, but one is young.

I'll get mine this year (if my insurance mess is fixed :glare:), i'm not excited about it - but well, the alternatives don't looks so hot either.

What would I do if, you know, I still had breasts and didn't have a breast cancer history? I would have one baseline mammogram at age 40, just so you can have a record of what everything looks like now. Then I would probably start with annual mammograms at age 50. The new digital mammograms use a fraction of the radiation that the old mammograms used, and they didn't use all that much either. Why wouldn't I get annual mammograms in my 40s? Because I'm cheap and because the studies say that they don't really work. If I were worried about cancer, I would have mammograms more often.

Sara - what is your opinion on baselines at 35? This has popped up for a number of friends this year with no high risk factors. Is this common? I havent' been to the doc since i was 35 - but i was preggo and nursing then too.

I really need to make that appointment on monday.

Sara,

You spoke to a lot of the worries I have. What I didn't like was that when I questioned my dr. about doing it every year beginning at forty, he brushed that off. (I don't like being brushed off about anything by a dr) He says his reasoning is that breast cancer is too common in this country to wait 'til 50. The research is varied on it.

I wish they would find out more about the causes.

The following are not judgments or scare tactics., just thoughts that go through my mind.....

I'm scared of radiation going directy into my breasts. I'm afraid of not getting a mammogram and finding a lump in late stage.

I read that a mammogram has no more radiation than a dental x-ray. I read that it depends on how you calculate radiation and such statements are deceptive.

I read studies that give statistics that say my breastfeeding is making a big difference. I read other studies that say it only makes a marginal difference.

I think I don't have to worry about it for another few years. A friend of mine is diagnosed at 30 something.

I do my self-exam every month. A new study says they don't make a difference in survival rates.

My doctor does my breast exam annually, but the new directive from the ACOG says to be gentle, so as not to spread possible existing cancer. A naturalist points out to me that a mammogram plate will squish my breast tissue much harder than my doctor ever did.

I know someone whose life was probably saved by mammogram. I don't know for sure what annual radiation is doing to others.

It is hard, but I have to gather my information and make the best decision I can. I'm afraid to do it, I'm afraid not to.

YES, this is it for me exactly, too. I'm trying to make the right decision, but keep reading conflicting information. I've heard Ultrasound is an option, but most insurance companies don't cover it as a breast cancer screening like they do the mammogram.

I don't know... I don't have any of the risk factors, but like SaraR said, that doesn't really mean anything. I still have a lot of thinking to do about it, and will talk to my GYN about it when I go, but I really appreciate all the feedback. Everyone has made excellent points and given me plenty to ruminate over. THANK YOU everyone!

Having watched a friend die a slow, agonizing death from breast cancer (it spread to her spine and brain), having watched her 12-year old daughter's childhood be overshadowed by her mother's cancer treatments and impending death, and having watched the same child grieve for her mom after she died, I've seen how horrific breast cancer can be, not just for the patient, but for her family as well.

Early detection saves lives.

Ria

Having watched a friend die a slow, agonizing death from breast cancer (it spread to her spine and brain), having watched her 12-year old daughter's childhood be overshadowed by her mother's cancer treatments and impending death, and having watched the same child grieve for her mom after she died, I've seen how horrific breast cancer can be, not just for the patient, but for her family as well.

Early detection saves lives.

This pretty much sums up DH's cousin. Only, her DD is 15 - and won't have her Dad around afterwards :(

Everytime I had the mammo, it would come back dense and they would send me for a follow up ultra-sound. If they did this for me and it seems to have worked, why can't they at least do this for our younger ladies? I have had yearly mammo's ever since and at one point, even had to go every 3 months for two years to watch a 'spot'. I am very, very glad that I have kept up with this because just 6 yrs ago my aunt had bc and now her dd 33 has it as well.

This is one of those things that I feel the mammo is the lesser of two evils so to speak. I also didn't have my kids till my 30's and breastfed for 4 yrs.

This is probably coming out choppy, but my point is, mammo's DO save lives.

Hope you find all the info you are looking for and, mammo's are not really that bad, at least to me :001_smile: Good luck. Tani

As others have said mammograms save lives! I watched a co-worker go through BC treatment twice and ultimately pass away leaving her 16 yo old DD behind. Another friend found hers early through a mammogram and she is alive and well today after only minimal treatment (I should mention they had different gene involvement which makes a difference).

The problem with most cancers is that we just don't know why some people get them and others don't, and there is alot of unsubstantiated info out there. My 3 yr old has leukemia, and we have no idea why but plenty of people have told us what they have heard causes it. I have never drank, smoked, or done anything else that would be a risk factor for him. He was bfed, ate organic food, loves fruits, veggies, yogurt, and the like. We live in a suburban area with little pollution, no history of cancer in younger people in our family or other autoimmune issues, he did not take any medicines prior to diagnosis, so really cancer can happen to anyone at anytime. It only takes one rogue cell that choses not to die like it is supposed too, and voila.

If it is the radiation from mammorgaphy that is concerning just think about all of the sources of radiation that we expose oursevles to daily from the natural stone that is in our houses to our cellphones :). A mammorgam is nothing in comparision.

Everytime I had the mammo, it would come back dense and they would send me for a follow up ultra-sound. If they did this for me and it seems to have worked, why can't they at least do this for our younger ladies?

You had a mammogram and then they did an ultrasound to get a better look? Does this mean an ultrasound gets a clearer picture? Or maybe it is just better for dense tissue?

denser breasts. After being preg and bfeeding for 6 yrs there is not much density left and now they just do the mammo. I will have to ask the mid-wife I work for and she what she says. I won't talk with her till Thursday but will post what I find out.

here are a couple of interesting links about mammorgaphy that you may want to read to help in your decision making process:

http://ww5.komen.org/BreastCancer/AccuracyofMammograms.html

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/SPC/content/SPC_1_Mammogram_Controversy_Explainer_October_2002.asp

http://www.cancer.org/docroot/PED/content/PED_2_3X_ACS_Cancer_Detection_Guidelines_36.asp?sitearea=PED

If you do decide to get a mammogram, here is some advice:

Get the best quality you can. If you have dense breasts or are under age 50, try to get a digital mammogram.

• Bring your old mammogram films with you for comparison.
  • Have more than one radiologist read your study.
  • Ask if your center has CAD—computer aided detection—which calls the radiologist's attention to any possible areas of concern.
  • Make sure the doctor who referred you for the mammogram includes an explicit note when ordering the study (providing clinical correlations—e.g. "palpable mass in the upper outer quadrant, rule out abnormality").
  • Correlate your results with other tests you've had done, like ultrasound or MRI.
  • Discuss your family history of breast and other cancers—from both your mother's AND father's side—with your doctor.

The above was found at the following website, which has a lot more helpful information

http://www.breastcancer.org/symptoms/testing/mammograms/

:iagree:

I'm with Tani. I'm not yet 40 and I had my first mammo and ultra-sound for just about the same reason. The pros definitely outweigh the cons.

Best wishes!

Everytime I had the mammo, it would come back dense and they would send me for a follow up ultra-sound. If they did this for me and it seems to have worked, why can't they at least do this for our younger ladies? I have had yearly mammo's ever since and at one point, even had to go every 3 months for two years to watch a 'spot'. I am very, very glad that I have kept up with this because just 6 yrs ago my aunt had bc and now her dd 33 has it as well.

This is one of those things that I feel the mammo is the lesser of two evils so to speak. I also didn't have my kids till my 30's and breastfed for 4 yrs.

This is probably coming out choppy, but my point is, mammo's DO save lives.

Hope you find all the info you are looking for and, mammo's are not really that bad, at least to me :001_smile: Good luck. Tani

Wow, thanks again for all your thoughtful replies everyone. Lots of food for thought. Dwkilburn1, so sorry about your little one-- I hope his prognosis is good! LadyAberlin I will investigate the thermogram as well as the links MeanestMom included-- thank you so much! I am off to read them now...

I just did not want to go. No reason but this year at 40 I decided to get all my bloodwork, mammo and everything else done and over with. That's my reason I wanted to get it over with. So I did everything. It really did not hurt much however, some women have more tender or dense tissue that does cause more discomfort. Benefits would be peace of mind, you will be glad to check mammo off your list of tests you know you need to do.

I did the same thing this year when I turned 40. I think it is good to have a baseline mammogram even if you decide that you don't want to get one every year. I was glad to have it done, and it actually wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be.