Menu

Toddler girl underwear

Elizabeth86

Dd is 2 and potty training herself. She is dry almost all the time at home. We got some underwear in her size 2t. They were a snug fit and she had trouble getting them on and off. We got the next size up and they fit well, but she doesn't like to wear them long. She puts her brother's unders on and likes them fine. Anyone BTDT? We get the character kind from walmart. Is there a more comfy brand you can recommend or should we get her her own boy unders and just go with it?

My two girls require totally different undie "shapes".  It took a lot of trial and error to figure out brands and sizing, as the sizing often times does not AT ALL correspond to their clothing sizes.  

Does she like brother's undies because of the fit, or because they are big brother's?  If she wants to be like her big brother, you could just get her boy's underwear (who cares???) or get her "boy short" girls underwear, assuming he's wearing that type.  She'll eventually want girl's underwear (probably...) so no big deal either way.  

• Like 1

I second the Hanna Andersson undies recommendation.  We found that they lasted forever and were quite versatile in terms of sizing (I actually sold DD's HA underwear when she outgrew the first set we bought for her;  we bought her a second set when she was 4 or 5 and she was still wearing them at 10).  I didn't have many (maybe 6) so we also had some other brands but these were by far her favourites.

Go for boys! They have a ton of characters, they fit nicer, and are easier to keep straight on the body.

My dd had boys pirates of the Caribbean undies when she was 8 (?) or so because girls didn’t have them.

ETA: I’m comparing general Hanes and fruit of the loom boy vs girl.

Edited by amo_mea_filiis.
  • Like 1

My daughter didn't arrive until after four boys, so she not only wore boys' underwear but most of them had been through the ranks a few times.  :lol:

I had a friend who took my daughter to the bathroom for me at the movies, and was aghast when she saw dinosaur themed tighty whiteys (with the man split and all). At my daughter's birthday not much later this friend gave my daughter something like 14 pairs of girls underwear. One set was days of the week, and I don't remember the other. They were cute, but they were cut bikini style.

My daughter at that age was lovingly referred to as The Tank because she pretty much acted and looked like one. Those cute girl panties were a huge bust. She looked ridiculous in them LOL and they wouldn't stay "put" on her frame. Besides - she didn't want to wear "Silly Saturday" with ice cream cones on her butt; she wanted dinosaurs any day of the week she liked!

I vote you keep your daughter in boys undies!  :hat:

• Like 2

Maybe you could get her involved in choosing some new undies, or have them be a birthday gift?  My kid got Dora undies for one of her birthdays (from her nanny) and she wore them for years.

I bought my kids' first undies at Walmart - they were cotton Faded Glory and if you can believe it, my 11yo is still wearing some of them over 9 years later.  If those don't work for your daughter, maybe Old Navy would have something she would wear.

I think it is OK for her to wear her brothers' hand-me-downs, but honestly, if anyone else sees her undies, they are going to think all kinds of thoughts about that.  :P

I have a daughter that loves the Hanna Andersson underwear. She monitors her clean underwear stash to make sure she doesn't run out. She really prefers them.

MY son loved the Hanna Andersson underwear so much that once he outgrew them, he decided he would rather wear no underwear than another brand. I bought a lot of brands for him to try.

MY other daughter wears Gymboree. She has never tried Hanna Andersson.

Thanks I will look into suggestions. I think she does like they are her brothers and have choo choos, BUT she likes her characters too and we let her pick them out and she was excited about them, but acts like they are giving her a wedgie. I agree the boy material is much softer.

Edited by Elizabeth86