Menu

Best bakeware?

trulycrabby

My bakeware recently departed to ds23's home. Yeah!!!!

Time to get new stuff for the first time in oh, 30 years! :party:

So...what's the best, besides La Creuset?

I used Pyrex forever, but read that new Pyrex does not handle heat as well.

Regarding cost? I'm open to anything: If it's too expensive, I can just look at it and dream. :o

Glass, ceramic, you name it, I am open to anything! :o

Thanks in advance for any advice! :)

bakeware?  for baking what?

for aluminum pans, I like fat daddio.  professional quality.

I never ever bake with pyrex.  ever.   my niece learned one of the reasons her rolls were failing was baking them in pyrex.

stoneware or cast iron.   sometimes.

eta: browse surlatable.   (I much prefer their quality to williams sonoma)

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2

bakeware? for baking what?

for aluminum pans, I like fat daddio. professional quality.

I never ever bake with pyrex. ever. my niece learned one of the reasons her rolls were failing was baking them in pyrex.

stoneware or cast iron. sometimes.

eta: browse surlatable. (I much prefer their quality to williams sonoma)

Thanks! I just ordered a fat daddio cheesecake pan and a couple of cake pans! Off to browse surlatable and pampered chef!

• Like 1

Baking what? Oh, everything!

Casserole dishes, bread pans, baking sheets, pies and cakes. I really did give away just about everything, except my crockpot and cupcake pan. :)

casserole- I will do those in either metal, stoneware, or corning ware.   I prefer metal - but it has more to do with size and how it is being served.  I really want to replace my great big metal baking pans.  16 x 12?  something like that.  I use them all the time.

dh went out and bought a deep metal catering tray for him to use for lasagna.

bread pans, cake pans, and baking sheets.  metal, preferably aluminum.  no exceptions.

my cheese cake pan is a slip bottom pan.  spring form pans do not heat evenly.

my tube cake pan is also two-piece..   I mostly use it for fruit cake.  hardly make angel food cake - too many leftover egg yolks.

pie, I prefer how they do with metal - dh tends to use pyrex.  I may pursue that, as I don't like how the crust turns out.

I do dutch babies in pyrex.  - I didn't like them in cast iron.  my pyrex is deeper than the aluminum.

eta: I got some 'non-stick' baking sheets from calphalon (aluminum) becasue they were big.  I have a range, so I have a bigger oven than most wall ovens.   I consider the non-stick feature pretty worthless - it really was all about the size.   14 x 17 1/4.    no edge.  those are jelly roll pans - and I do use them, but not for cookies.

Edited by gardenmom5
  • Like 2

casserole- I will do those in either metal, stoneware, or corning ware. I prefer metal - but it has more to do with size and how it is being served. I really want to replace my great big metal baking pans. 16 x 12? something like that. I use them all the time.

dh went out and bought a deep metal catering tray for him to use for lasagna.

bread pans, cake pans, and baking sheets. metal, preferably aluminum. no exceptions.

my cheese cake pan is a slip bottom pan. spring form pans do not heat evenly.

my tube cake pan is also two-piece.. I mostly use it for fruit cake. hardly make angel food cake - too many leftover egg yolks.

pie, I prefer how they do with metal - dh tends to use pyrex. I may pursue that, as I don't like how the crust turns out.

I do dutch babies in pyrex. - I didn't like them in cast iron. my pyrex is deeper than the aluminum.

eta: I got some 'non-stick' baking sheets from calphalon (aluminum) becasue they were big. I have a range, so I have a bigger oven than most wall ovens. I consider the non-stick feature pretty worthless - it really was all about the size. 14 x 17 1/4. no edge. those are jelly roll pans - and I do use them, but not for cookies.

I had to google "dutch babies," wow they look great! :o

• Like 1

I love my USA Pan so much, I'm considering upgrading my other pans even though they are adequate. I have 2 loaf pans, one is a USA Pan and the other is Calphalon or something like that. I made a double batch of bread last week. The USA Pan wasn't even dirty. The other had some dough stick to it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0029JQEIC/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1510888324&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=usa+pans&dpPl=1&dpID=41YMYohnAcL&ref=plSrch

• Like 2

I love my USA Pan so much, I'm considering upgrading my other pans even though they are adequate. I have 2 loaf pans, one is a USA Pan and the other is Calphalon or something like that. I made a double batch of bread last week. The USA Pan wasn't even dirty. The other had some dough stick to it.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0029JQEIC/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1510888324&sr=8-5&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=usa+pans&dpPl=1&dpID=41YMYohnAcL&ref=plSrch

The USA pans get top reviews. I replaced my older 9x5 and 8x4 bread pans with USA ones. From the looks (distinctive ribbing), I am guessing that the branded pans from King Arthur and Sur La Table are from USA.

For a sheet pan, I like this model, which Cooks Illustrated gave top reviews to. I have four of them (easy storage when pans are the same size) and use them for roasting veggies, doing sheet pan dinners, etc.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/vollrath-5314-wear-ever-heavy-duty-half-size-13-gauge-aluminum-bun-sheet-pan-sanitary-open-bead-rim-13-x-18/9365314.html

This is the cookie sheet I like best, because it is big. I am still using one I bought decades ago and it looks like new. I recently bought three more, because cookies baked better on this sheet than on my other ones.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/vollrath-68085-wear-ever-17-x-14-aluminum-cookie-sheet/92268085.html

Some fun places to shop online are Fante's and bakedeco.com. I've ordered from both.

Edited by Alessandra

I had to google "dutch babies," wow they look great! :o

they're very yummy.  I normally do two 9" pie plates at a time.   I have done a 9 x 13 once.   I was concerned about any differences in cooking.

dudeling insists on powdered sugar being sprinkled on them.   I just put a bit of jam - or fresh berries if I have them.